New Mt Annan XC track

Brownster

New Mt Annan XC track

Postby Brownster » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:54 am

Anyone heard whether this officially opens this weekend? Was due for the 1st August.

http://www.trailflix.com.au/tfx_new/tra ... n_xc-track

RecRider

Re: New Mt Annan XC track

Postby RecRider » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:18 pm

Hi, Been lurking here for a while and just joined. I'm very much a novice (and older) MTB rider with a very basic hardtail, and I've been to Mt Annan a few times as I live fairly local. I went there yesterday afternoon for a couple of hours riding on the existing trails and roads. The lady on the gate mentioned that that the new MTB course would be opening late August. Also said it would be about 17km of track once fully completed.
2013 Felt F75X Cyclocross
2011 Giant Trance X2

RecRider

Postby RecRider » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:22 pm

Looks like the new Mt Annan XC track (Enduro Trail) is opening this Saturday (see below). Unfortunately I'm recovering from knee surgery so can't ride anywhere for a few weeks. Looking at the map I have ridden a few of the easier parts of what now appears to be part of the new circuit. Some other bits I've attempted but too hard (for me and/or my budget MTB).

Very unusual I thought for a botanic garden to introduce such a facility. Looks like they're serious about it. So full marks to them, I hope it's a success and everyone observes the rules etc to make that happen.

A tip if you are going there. I usually park outside the gardens and ride in. Admission is $2-50 for cyclists and pedestrians. If you drive in I think it's currently $9-00 per vehicle. So needs to be at least 4 people plus bikes per car to make that approach economical.

http://www.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/annan/cycling

http://www.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/__data/ass ... ail_A4.pdf
2011 Giant Trance X2

RecRider

Postby RecRider » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:58 pm

The Mt Annan XC/Enduro Trail has been open for some time. Not sure if people are aware that the current NSW government removed entry fees to Mt Annan Botanic Garden a few months ago as part of their election commitments. So you can now ride the trail and elsewhere in the gardens free. I've noticed a lot more MTBs there since this happened, so I guess it is, understandably, becoming more popular.

I've only ridden the easier course of the enduro trail once (decided my newbie skills need vast improvement before I do it again - planning to take lessons). It's a bit like a formula one track for MTBs IMHO. I found it very tight/twisty and also seemed to scrape underneath a few times negotiating mounds etc. You can't take relax and take your eye off the ball for even a second, or you'll likely have some sort of mishap (at least that's how it seemed to me). Found I had to walk some of the more difficult hazard zones due to lack of confidence. Hopefully I'll be a bit smoother next time I try it. General trails are also worth riding, and I try and get out there every couple of weeks when it's not so wet.
2011 Giant Trance X2

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:29 pm

To some extent, that's part of the attraction with singletrack: it necessarily absorbs your whole attention, and any concerns other than where you need to aim your front wheel over the next four to six metres get completely pushed out of your mind. Good singletrack becomes a continuous zen moment. It's why people will drive for hours from all over Sydney to ride it, and why Mt Annan is developing a good reputation.

A skills course is a great idea. I've done the intermediate Australian Mountain Bike Clinics course with my son, and even with a few years riding the intermediate-level Manly Dam as my local, it seriously stretched both of us. So it seems to me the introductory course would be a good fit for you.

Nothing wrong and plenty that's right with walking the sections you are not confident with - better that than a helicopter ride out. That's called exercising good judgement.

Rather than wishing the trail to be easier, maybe you could work on mastering the required skills. Nearly all of the obstacles you're bumping your chainring on can be cleared easily ... with the right techniques. The AMBC course will show you some of these. You can then practice the drills away from the trail in your street or at your local park midweek, and then "run them" next time out on the trail.

Stop and watch how others handle the obstacles that bother you, and as your skills improve you can measure your progress against which of these obstacles cease being a threat.

Hope this helps. :D

markusm

Postby markusm » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:19 pm

The first time I rode this track (and it was my first real MTB ride I finished and thought "Maybe this whole MTB thing isn't for me".

After riding it a few times, among other tracks, I love it, really really love it. For me, I think it's a great track, I head out there whenever possible and would love to this weekend if it wasnt for the wet weather.

I took it easy on the first lap or two, got familiar with it and now I find it to get easier each time, much faster and a lot more fun. I'm getting twitchy just thinking about it :D

hannos

Postby hannos » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:06 pm

Rode it yesterday. It was also my first time in the dirt in about 10 years. I had an absolute blast!

The onyl problem is, I now think I need a new bike. The old MS hardtail just doesn't cut it :)
2010 BMC SLC01

timbo

Postby timbo » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:02 am

Cycling Central are supposed to be showing some footage of MTB racing from Mt Annan this Sunday on SBS at 5pm, so it should be a good chance for people to get a look at what the course is like.