National Park trails

hannos

National Park trails

Postby hannos » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:40 am

An article about the possibility of legal MTB trails in National Parks.

Found here
2010 BMC SLC01

trailgumby

Re: National Park trails

Postby trailgumby » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:51 am

hannos wrote:An article about the possibility of legal MTB trails in National Parks.

Found here
Mountain biker input is vital to ensure a balanced and sustainable solution is achieved. You can be sure some of the more extreme vocal minority groups will be lobbying hard against this proposal.

Go to http://www.nobmob.com for more details, and to obtain help with making your submission the most effective it can be. This site will serve as a coordination point.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:46 am

Just imagine if we all waited around for governmet to act before making and riding trails. Australia would be awash with old steel hardtails holding up garage walls.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:28 pm

For sure.

It's been a long hard slog that started quite a few years ago. I've only become involved this year.

People often say "it's gonna take years: why bother?" My response to that line of thinking is: "Well then you'd better get cracking. The longer you wait the longer it will take!"

There's one guy in particular who has invested a huge amount of his time into this, using his professional expertise for no remuneration. He prefers to stay in the background, but NSW mountain bikers state-wide owe him a huge debt.

His informed approach (PhD in sustainability) and calm rational manner have opened a lot of doors between conservationists and mountain bikers who - no surprise - have recently found they have an enormous amount in common.

It has also given us respect in the eyes of NPWS by showing them we're rational and can be worked with, and not a bunch of fringe yokels and cranks... the contrast to the way most Green groups treat government and NPWS staff is one of our greatest assets.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:47 pm

Not sure I get the whole facebook thing but I just got this message...

Mountain Biking in NSW National Parks

I appreciate that many members of this group are road cyclists based in Victoria, however the mountain bikers of NSW are in need of your help.

The NSW government is currently considering allowing mountain bikers to use well maintained sustainable trails in NSW national parks.

This consultation is a once in a lifetime opportunity that could lead to development of a world class mountain bike trail network in NSW.

Please take a moment to share your thoughts here:
https://mountainbiking.discussions.nsw.gov.au/

Many thanks.
<removed by request>

brendancg

Postby brendancg » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:50 pm

As a generally road focused rider MTB didn't really concern me until I traveled to South Africa in the beginning of this year to compete in the SANI2C. What I saw in South Africa made me an advocate for what is being proposed in NSW with the discussion paper. In South Africa they have a very active MTB community and the national parks dept seems to engage this community in its planning. It seems that here we have a policy of look but don't interact with, yet over there they have the opposite and from what I saw their parks (whilst well loved) were also extremely well cared for by the WHOLE community.

I can only support the proposal in the discussion paper and I can only hope that it comes to fruition.
Yesterday was an easy day.