Crankset issues

Robdog

Crankset issues

Postby Robdog » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:22 pm

Hey MTB Guys

My Brother bought a secondhand Norco Bigfoot a while back and seems to have had nothing but trouble with it since, between vandalism and neglect.
Recently it had a pretty major service (replace cassette, chain, 'big' ring, straighten a bent disc rotor). Just yesterday he complained of the drivetrain locking up and trying to pitch him OTB. On examination his drive side crank arm is somehow warped so the rings are not in a straight line when they rotate (yes I've checked and it's the spider that is bent). Crankset is Hussefelt Howitzer running midget rings (must be an uphill config I guess, its only a double, small ring is 22, don't know what 'big' ring is), FD is Shimano Acera.
What I'd like to know on his behalf is if there are likely to be any issues replacing the whole crankset with say a Deore standard triple - obviously the FD will either need adjustment so it can change to the 3rd ring or need to be replaced, possibly the shifter too. I'm positive this conversion would be made a helluva lot cheaper for him if he could go the eBay or UK retailer route and I'll DIY the rest

Should probably mention that short of hopping gutters and the odd bit of dirt track shortcut between bike paths that he might as well be on a drop bar roadie for all the off-roading that he doesn't do on it, so a simple cheap option is best

Cheers
Rob
2019 BMC TimeMachine R01
201x S-Works Shiv
2009 Avanti Cadent Team

Nobody

Re: Crankset issues

Postby Nobody » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:55 pm

If it's a bike to bash around the streets, I don't know why you want to go as high as Deore. Just get something cheap with bigger rings for the road, like:
http://www.this link is broken/Mode ... elID=41902

Also get a square taper BB for $20 to match and you should be most of the way there.

If he's going to trash it anyway...
Last edited by Nobody on Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zero

Postby zero » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:05 pm

I think the acera m360 is a triple FD - just will have the limit screw set to stay off the bashguard. You should be able to determine whether its a triple shifter or a double if its got an indicator plate.

2010 deore cranksets are hollowtech, which might require facing the BB, which is what I did. By the looks of things, the old deore crankset has been trickled down into the new alivio 9 speed range, if you are looking for the square taper item.

Robdog

Postby Robdog » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:13 pm

Thanks Guys
It already appears to have a splined Hollowtech II BB as I used the tool I bought for my Dura Ace 7800 setup to remove the drive side cup and take off the chain roller mount thingos (supposed to limit chain slap or something?). Will probably just go with whatever I can get cheapest off eBay given that postage on the c r c item was more than the crankset itself and it should arrive sooner. I'll check out the FD & shifters tomorrow when it (hopefully) stops raining
2019 BMC TimeMachine R01
201x S-Works Shiv
2009 Avanti Cadent Team