Specialized Pitch Pro vrs Giant Trance & Reign

Mountainbiking central

Specialized Pitch Pro vrs Giant Trance & Reign

Postby The Digi » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:59 am

I'm looking at getting a new bike there seems to be some deals about for the following bikes "Specialized Pitch Pro 2010, Giant Trance & Reign 2010/11"

Looking to do a bit of everything including a bit of DH - but also must handle climbing and XC. I'm more of a weekend warrior so will the Trance be more than enough for me on the DH circuit?

Specialized are always getting raved about in MTB Rider scoring 10's all the time, and I hear nothing but good things about the trance - but will it handle the DH? At what point do you think the trance tops out before switching to a more dedicated bike?

Just wondered if you had any thoughts to help me with my decision? Thanks in advance.
The Digi

by BNA » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:42 pm

BNA

Re: Specialized Pitch Pro vrs Giant Trance & Reign

Postby trailgumby » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:42 pm

Due to conflicting geometry and component requirements for ascending versus descending you won't get a single do-it-all bike, you will need to make some compromises. If you still want to do the climbs instead of getting off and pushing, I'd suggest you'd be looking at something in the 5-6" travel range.

A mate has just gone up from a Trance X1 to a 2011 Reign Zero and has found that climbing is a lot more work on the 6" travel bike, but it feels a lot more planted on the descents. A nice feature is the TALAS travel-adjustable fork that allows him to drop the fork for the climbs - but you need to remember to release it as you roll over the crest, else it gets "interesting" - and it has one of those Joplin gaslift seatposts that you can drop for descending by pressing a lever on the bars.

Not cheap, though - I think somewhere around the $5k mark.

Another mate has a Spesh Enduro with about 6" travel if I recall correctly, to which he's added Magura travel-adjustable forks and a Joplin seatpost. It feels like a magic carpet when descending - really smooooth - but my 130mm Cannondale dually leaves it in the dust on the flats and climbs It's so much easier to pedal.

For the kind of riding I do, whihc is more XC and occasionally straying into All Mountain, my plush 130mm travel 'dale is perfect, but if tricky descending is more your go then the extra travel of a 150mm bike might be a better choice.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby The Digi » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:44 pm

Thanks for the reply, I guess I really need to ask myself the question, will I be pushing hard downhill - probably not as a weekend warrior. If I do get serious about it I guess I have to invest some serious money into something other than entry level.

I have read some articles lately about the trance soaking up the rough stuff DH quite well... I guess lockout is a big factor otherwise.
The Digi

Postby trailgumby » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:16 pm

We..eell it's relative. Compared to a 4" forked hardtail, absolutely. Compared to a 8" travel DH bruiser like a Glory or Demo 9, definitley not.

I like descending, but I'm both too old and too fond of keeping my skeleton intact to contemplate a full-face, body armour full-on DH run. :P :oops: :lol:
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby GraythefatXCRider » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:22 pm

I've owned the 2012 Trance Advance 1 for a bit over a month now and I have to admit it's the most comfortable bike I've ever owned. It's pliable enough to use as a daily commute (after switching out the Schwalbes for CrossMark front and Ardent rear) and yet I can take it down through some of the local trails with confidence. Honestly, it's a bike that can take you wherever you want to go and it laughs at my 110kg middle-aged-seen-far-too-many-cheeseburgers frame.
As far as value for money is concerned, you can't go past a sub-$4k bike which sports decent Fox suspension, carbon frame, a halfway decent seat and UST rims as standard. The only thing I've done to this bike since getting it is change the tyres and invest in a set of Ay-Ups for night trails.

On a side note, it looks awesome too. Every time I get off the thing I'm guaranteed to have someone ask about it - which may or may not be a good thing.
2012 Giant Trance Advance
All the gear - no idea...
GraythefatXCRider

Return to MTB