Bang for buck 29er

Mountainbiking central

Bang for buck 29er

Postby Evetsllub » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:56 pm

My Mountain bike was flogged yesterday (Avanti Barracuda), after going through all the emotions of the grieving process I'm now looking to the future, and am thinking a 29er might be the way to go... couple of buddies are on them now and rate them and i am a relatively big guy.

The barracuda was a bang for buck sort of bike ($1,200 odd) and has served me well in its short 12 month life. Plenty of people say it was one of the best bikes in that price range. So the question is will I get on a decent 29er for similar money? My riding is mostly singletrail stuff on the weekend, just out to have a good time for a couple of hours, i'm not really interested in racing. I'm not keen on spending big money, but dont want to be taking a step backwards from what i've got.

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas of bikes that might suit?
Evetsllub

by BNA » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:54 pm

BNA

Re: Bang for buck 29er

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:54 pm

You probably can't beat Giant for bang for buck... http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-AU/bik ... 285/44213/
Maybe Merida?.
toolonglegs

Postby trailgumby » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:49 pm

I think Avanti might be doing a 29er that is excellent bang for buck, actually. Seem to recall one reviewed in a recent issue of Mountain BIking Australia (not to be confused with AMB)
trailgumby

Postby Evetsllub » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:03 am

Thanks fellas.

I dont know if i could do a Giant, even if they are value for money.

I'll have a look into the Avanti though, and will even consider the Giant...
Evetsllub

Postby flashrider » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:10 am

Aaaw get over the anti Giant snobbery!!! I know what you mean, but I have a Trance X2 and it's the shizz. I do drive a Toyota though.....
Projectus Distractus Maxima.
flashrider

Postby Evetsllub » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:55 am

I dont think i can ride a giant or drive a toyota, although i do drive a holden.

I'm leaning towards the Gary Fisher X-Caliber. seems to be the best in my sub $2k budget.
Evetsllub

Postby Gabe » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:17 pm

I drive a holden and have a Giant.

Although the Holden is technically german.. but that's a good thing
Gabe

Postby aeroslave » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:02 pm

Kona Big Kahuna. Its was reviewed by MTB Aus and was the best value for money there while the Gary Fisher Paragon if I am not mistaken was the best of the lot.

The Avanti someone posted here was also getting good reviews HOWEVER the seatstays have very little space for wider tyres. Thats their review otherwise a very competent 29er.
aeroslave

Postby thecaptn » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:27 pm

my LBS has new specialized 29er for only $590, it's pretty well specked for a cheap bike so i wonder what specialized might do in the $1200 bracket?
could be worth checking out?
thecaptn

Postby Evetsllub » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:58 pm

havent looked at the Kona, will check em out.

Yep i like the specialized, the Rockhopper (AT) about $1,500 looks like a decent bike, but i think i want somethign a bit better, and the Stumpjumper (AT) $2,500 is getting up there.
Evetsllub

Postby mtb101 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:46 pm

Thanks fellas.

I dont know if i could do a Giant, even if they are value for money.

I'll have a look into the Avanti though, and will even consider the Giant...
hmm better look again at the Giant XTC 29er Hard Trail, under 2 grand, super stiff frame, fox qr15 forks 100mm, hollowtech cranks, xt rear, weight about 11.7, no matter what you look at you won't find a better bike for price point. It's a killer on the trail, had mine for 4 months now, just a brilliant bike. Once I sell my yeti 575, I am going for the full suser giant 29er X as well, sadly the 575 hasn't been ridden since I got the XTC 29. The quality and finish on the giant is very impressive. good luck.
mtb101

Postby Evetsllub » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:53 pm

Well the insurance company has written the quote for the Trek dealer, so Gary Fisher it is... unfortunately they are still a month away!!
Evetsllub

Postby Evetsllub » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:07 pm

Picked up my Gary Fisher X-Cal this week and took it out for its first hitout today.

Awesome bike! Couldnt be happier, i am now a 29er convert. Its fast, i feel more confident cornering and it just loves to climb!
Evetsllub

Postby jchamp51 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:00 am

[quote="Gabe"]I drive a holden and have a Giant.

Should I paint over the Giant stickers on my two bikes, by the way the 29'ers is a dream to ride.
Upgraded the rear mech to Sram XO and XO twist grip, change due to a hand injury.
Ho also drive a German car.
John
Giant XTC 29er
Specialized Roubaix Carbon Road Bike
jchamp51

Postby Cinder » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:35 pm

Would love to hear more now that you've had the bike for a little while.

Also, for any potential people reading this thread in the future, GT look to have some good value 29er rides in their 2011 range!
*** insert signature here ***
Cinder

Postby petie » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:33 pm

Would also love to hear a longer term review if you are able. I always get caught on the price of Gary fishers and don't know anyone who's owned one for long term feedback.
petie

Postby Evetsllub » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:08 pm

Hey guys,

well had the Gary for a couple of months now. In short, love it!

Havent been on it as much as i'd like, but have ridden Glenrock (newcastle), Awaba, Ourimbah, Yellomundee, Telegraph Point (Port Macquarie), Manly Dam and the fire trails in Royal National Park.

Still loving it. Was getting some numb hands, but changed the grips and it fixed that. It eats up the fast flowy trails like Awaba and Ourimbah. One day at Ourimbah was a little wet and no probs at all, it stuck like glue. Personally i find it handles tight technical climbs really well, struggled a little bit at Manly dam in the tech sections, but it was the first time i rode it, so i reckon if i did it againfire tr i'd be more confident.

The only time ive been disappointed is on Sandy and gravelly fire trails (particularly Royal NP). It seemed to bog down and wash out on corners easily... not sure if it is the tyres that are on it, but another mate with a 29er said he's had similar probs and he solved it by taking some air out of the forks when he was riding that sort of stuff

As far as ride, it is definitely smoother than a 26er hard tail, but its still not a dually. Did a 40km fire trail ride the other day and wasnt sore but 40kms on single trail you'll still be sore.

The SRAM gearset is AWESOME! I dont think i'll go back to SHimano again. I dont think the triple ring is really necessary up front and if i was a weight weiner i reckon i'd change to a double.

I got the next one down (CObia i think) for my +1 and whilst it is a decent bike (fire trails are about all she's up to), the X-Cal is a huge jump and if you're serious (or just want a good bike for offroad) i think the extra $500 or so is well worth it for the X-Cal.
Evetsllub

Postby trickle » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:08 pm

petie wrote:Would also love to hear a longer term review if you are able. I always get caught on the price of Gary fishers and don't know anyone who's owned one for long term feedback.

There is a good reason for that, no one owns a Fisher or a Trek for that matter long term. In short, they crack. A lot!

Evetsllub wrote:The only time ive been disappointed is on Sandy and gravelly fire trails (particularly Royal NP). It seemed to bog down and wash out on corners easily... not sure if it is the tyres that are on it, but another mate with a 29er said he's had similar probs and he solved it by taking some air out of the forks when he was riding that sort of stuff

Fork PSI will have little to do with your front end washing out, check your tyre pressures first. What tyre combo are you running?
If anything I have found the change from silly little 26inch wheels to proper sized wheels is the better through corner grip, load up the outside pedal and shove the front end through BMX berm style!
trickle

Postby trailgumby » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:49 pm

Evetsllub wrote:The SRAM gearset is AWESOME! I dont think i'll go back to SHimano again. I dont think the triple ring is really necessary up front and if i was a weight weiner i reckon i'd change to a double.

Glad you like your new ride. Reminds me of when I first got my dually and got it dialled. :D

When you say how much better you like SRAM, are you comparing apples with apples?

I used to think SRAM sucked and went to Shimano, then tried some later SRAM stuff at a comparable level on a bike I tested last year and was forced to admit that SRAM was pretty good too. The Shimano XT felt smoother, but the SRAM X-0 stuff was more crud tolerant in the cabling and the shifting didn't turn to toast as easily in the wet. This was for 3x9 systems.

Now the 2 and 3x10 setups are out, and my mates are saying how much better the Dynasys XT is than SRAM.

I reckon it changes each year as each manufacturer comes out with little tweaks to improve their systems, but for comparable points in each manufacturer's range there isn't a whole lot in it. Well, not for very long anyway.
trailgumby

Postby TrekWrekka » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:16 pm

trickle wrote:
petie wrote:Would also love to hear a longer term review if you are able. I always get caught on the price of Gary fishers and don't know anyone who's owned one for long term feedback.

There is a good reason for that, no one owns a Fisher or a Trek for that matter long term. In short, they crack. A lot!

Harsh words for the Trek. I have owned a Trek Fuel Ex7 for the last 2 1/2 years, competed in countless enduros , club races and clocked up thousands of kays with singletrack cruising and some gnarly freeriding and the Fuel hasn't missed a beat (it is sporting a decent ding near the bottom bracket courtesy of a fist sized peice of granite but).Frame is A-ok and two other mates with Ex8's have also been stoked with the overall performance of the Treks. :D
TrekWrekka

Postby aeroslave » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:06 pm

The latest Giant Talon 29er. End of story.
aeroslave

Postby celeste boy » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:28 pm

I had the loan of an older type (steel I think) SS Trek 29er the other day (no shocks). What a great bike! I was worried I would be left behind not having the gears but I kept up somehow. Thinking about the trek 'Paragon'- lighter frame with Fox shocks and gears. I'd welcome any comments.

c b
celeste boy

Postby trickle » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:47 am

TrekWrekka wrote:
trickle wrote:

Harsh words for the Trek. I have owned a Trek Fuel Ex7 for the last 2 1/2 years, competed in countless enduros , club races and clocked up thousands of kays with singletrack cruising and some gnarly freeriding and the Fuel hasn't missed a beat (it is sporting a decent ding near the bottom bracket courtesy of a fist sized peice of granite but).Frame is A-ok and two other mates with Ex8's have also been stoked with the overall performance of the Treks. :D

I and a good friend still have the bad taste in our mouths that Trek Australia left with their handling of 2 frame repalcements and 5 bontrager rear wheels...
trickle

Postby TrekWrekka » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:10 am

Wow.Ok.That's a good reason to hate on the Trek.Out of morbid curiousity what model Treks did you have the frame fails on? Please tell that the wheels weren't Bontrager Selects??
TrekWrekka

Postby silentbutdeadly » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:02 pm

aeroslavebigbelly wrote:The latest Giant Talon 29er. End of story.

Not quite end of story....but a bloody good book nonetheless. At $1,200 RRP it's a damn fine entry level option

Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle
silentbutdeadly

Next

Return to MTB