Disc brake question...

Mountainbiking central

Disc brake question...

Postby fraz » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:03 am

I'm chucking together a rigid MTB commuter and want to put just a front disc on it. I'm just looking for cheap parts and -especially with our dollar the way it is- ordering from the US seems a good option but I know they have their levers the wrong way around. I've never worked with disc brakes before so am just wondering, if I buy a front disc kit it's presumably going to come with a left hand lever ...which obviously isn't the end of the world as it will still work but I'd rather have the right lever than the left upside down. If, however, I bought a rear brake, will that not fit on the front mount? Sorry I know this is probably a dumb question but I've been out of the MTB scene since before disc brakes were available on anything but the top of the line, so I'm not well versed.

by BNA » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:57 pm

Re: Disc brake question...

Postby MountGower » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:57 pm

As good as the dollar gets, prices and postage will always be better in the UK for us. Try CRC. They will have plenty of Front/RH Lever options.

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:07 pm

<the rear brqke caliper will fit front as well...but by the time someone cuts the xtra length of cable off and rebleeds it you might as well have got a front from the UK.

Postby Fred Nurk » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:54 pm

Some brakes are interchangeable, such as Avid Juicy, some aren't. You'll still need to cut the cable and bleed them if you buy a rear, and you'll still need to get an adaptor (unless you have post mount forks and 160mm rotors).

I don't know which brakes are front / rear specific unfortunately, but for the most part the prices in UK are just as good.
Fred Nurk

Postby fraz » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:32 am

Thanks for the advice, you've all been very helpful.

Return to MTB