new brakes time

Mountainbiking central

new brakes time

Postby scotto » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:41 am

my hayes sole / 9 brake combo is annoying me. the rubber plug for the reservoir always seems to break/snap/rot away at the worst moments, and i like to have brakes working. my wifes shimanos dont have any rubber plugs. I am looking around to upgrade without spending too much. ebay etc ~$2-300. any ideas what to look for or what to avoid ?
i looked at barely used shimano xtr and juicy 7's, or newer lower range stuff. the bike is a mix of deore lx and xt overall
scott
scotto

by BNA » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:05 pm

BNA

Re: new brakes time

Postby Jean » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:05 pm

Velogear.com.au had some Juicy 3 & 5s going cheap a while back (as well as some other Avid stuff I think). Looked like remainder unused factory NOS to me, FWIW.
Jean

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:13 pm

Ditch the hydros and get BB7 less expense and simple adjustments plus if you have a failure in the bush it can be fixed with ease. Getting a rotor size that suits your needs and a lever with plenty of adjustments makes for great modulation. I have Juicy 7's which is my last set of hydros and when they fail BB7 will be it's replacement as I have slowly gotten rid of the hydros for BB7 so that is my take and opinion.
}SkOrPn--7

Postby HAKS » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:01 pm

Can get some 2010 Avid Elixir R's from CRC for under $300 (exc postage). I'll be ordering some in the next few days to repalce my Hayes Sole
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)
HAKS

Postby Jean » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:38 pm

HAKS wrote:Can get some 2010 Avid Elixir R's from CRC for under $300 (exc postage). I'll be ordering some in the next few days to repalce my Hayes Sole

You might want to have a look at Velogear
Jean

Postby Nobody » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:12 pm

Jean wrote:
HAKS wrote:Can get some 2010 Avid Elixir R's from CRC for under $300 (exc postage). I'll be ordering some in the next few days to repalce my Hayes Sole

Interesting. I just had a look at their MTB tyres which were close the CRC's prices. Looks like we may have a serious local online competitor emerging.
Nobody

Postby HAKS » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:38 pm

Jean wrote:

Hmmmm not a fan of their cart system ie. calipers & levers, then have to add on rotors, + and front IS adapter somewhere. By that time they only come out marginally cheaper. + i was banking on the CRC sale with something else to get me over the free postage limit ;)
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)
HAKS

Return to MTB