Good road tyres for MTB

Mountainbiking central

Good road tyres for MTB

Postby maccayak » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:49 pm

I have a new Apollo Evolution with Alexrim DC19 wheels. I mainly use it to go riding with my young kids on good tracks but mainly roads. It has quite nobby? tyres. After riding my 30 year old Malvern Star road bike, I realized how slow the MTB seemed. Can someone suggest a nice 26" road tyre for these rims. Bike is running disc brakes, if that makes a difference.

Cheers Geoff
maccayak

by BNA » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:59 pm

BNA

Re: Good road tyres for MTB

Postby Wanta-bike » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:59 pm

i'd recommend some schwalbe marathon or marathon plus's. both these tyres are a semi slick design, so its still gonna be fast on the road, but then has the versatility of being able to give u enough stablity and traction when u gon onto light gravel paths - perfect i reckon esp with kids and riding on "kid friendly" paths ;)

cost wise
- marathon: ~$59per tyre (kevlar bead)
- marathon plus: ~$79per tyre (MORE kevlar bead)

there are some other options, ie: vitorria randoneurs, geax evolutions, geax roadmasters. these tend to go for about $39per tyre. personallly use schwalbe tyres and don't really use any other tyres :P

hope this helps!
Wanta-bike

Postby scotto » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:07 am

i've used these from torpedo 7 with no problems http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/INTYMNNPP

and at $9 each on special right now, and thats kinda hard to say no to !
not the lightest tyre, but they seem fairly puncture resistant so far.
makes no diffference re: disc brakes

i suspect - just between you and me - you dont need to spend $150 on schwalbe tyres just to ride with the kids.
scotto

Postby mitzikatzi » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:07 am

scotto wrote:i've used these from torpedo 7 with no problems http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/INTYMNNPP

i suspect - just between you and me - you dont need to spend $150 on schwalbe tyres just to ride with the kids.

Read the reviews :shock:
Xplora wrote: Do not get cheap SPDs, your body will hurt you.

trailgumby wrote:29ers are awesome.
mitzikatzi

Postby MountGower » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:45 am

I've had a great run from Michelin Transworld City 26x1.95 and City Reflex in 700X47c. I bought Continental Tour Ride for my wife and they really impressed me to the point that I'll give them a go. Twice the price of the Michelins though. Don't scrimp on commuter tyres. You just don't need the trouble on the way to work and definately on the way home.
MountGower

Postby Nobody » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:21 pm

maccayak wrote:I have a new Apollo Evolution with Alexrim DC19 wheels. I mainly use it to go riding with my young kids on good tracks but mainly roads. It has quite nobby? tyres. After riding my 30 year old Malvern Star road bike, I realized how slow the MTB seemed. Can someone suggest a nice 26" road tyre for these rims. Bike is running disc brakes, if that makes a difference.

Cheers Geoff
If you want a faster roll like a road bike, that means higher pressure tyres. This usually means thinner tyres also. Maybe try the Detonator 26 X 1.25" as Cell have them on special at the moment.. It may be a good idea to buy thinner tubes at the same time.

If you want something I a bit slower, softer and more stable on rough/uneven surfaces, you can get the Xennith 26 X 1.5". Still going to be faster than knobbies, and plenty fast enough to be riding with the kids. I have these on my utility bike.
Nobody

Postby scotto » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:35 am

mitzikatzi wrote:
scotto wrote:i've used these from torpedo 7 with no problems http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/INTYMNNPP

Read the reviews :shock:

for every bad review theres a good one.
they are a bit tight on some rims, but on the kids bike theyre easily fitted.
we have em on 3 bikes, never had a puncture, yet my specialized armadillo's, well theyre supposed to be puncture proof and they've had a lot.
i tend to take little notice of the puncture reviews people make about tyres. one guy in the review you refer to mentions getting a puncture after piercing the tyre with a galvanised nail...i mean what did he expect ???
my racing tyres are supposed to be terrible for training and punctures, yet i havent had one in two sets (did i just jinx myself!) and i'm no lightweight
scotto

Postby mitzikatzi » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:00 am

Seems to be a common theme with these tyres. Hard to mount, not always round and seem to puncture readily (considering they are sold as puncture proof). Enough reviews comments to make me spend a little more elsewhere. YMMV
Xplora wrote: Do not get cheap SPDs, your body will hurt you.

trailgumby wrote:29ers are awesome.
mitzikatzi

Postby maccayak » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:55 pm

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. The Detonators look good for my needs.

Cheers everyone.

Geoff
maccayak

Postby Cinder » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:12 pm

Riding with the kids so don't want to allocate a fortune to this project I assume?

Go down to the LBS and find something cheapish and go with that. Detonators look like they'd be fine.

Love my contis but they're not cheap, although not too bad if you can be bothered going online, which in reality is less bother than the LBS although they may offer to check them on FOC for you, in which case, win IMO.

/dribble
*** insert signature here ***
Cinder

Postby clack3rz » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:17 pm

On the cheap I use Geax. Nothing special, but do the job for me
clack3rz

Postby scotto » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:49 am

tested out ( briefly) my new Maxxis Minions on the weekend. down quarry rd track at dural, i was able to go a fair bit faster downhill with better tracking and steering in the loose stuff. maybe a little slower on the flat hardpacked firetrail, and i noticed they flick a lot of rocks up. I guess tread will do that !!
scotto

Postby utopia » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:01 pm

I bought a set of 1.75 innova slicks from Torpedo 7. They are a bit fiddly to get seated properly so I can imagine people that buy the 1.2 or 1.5's would be screaming for blood, but once seated seem to be ok.
utopia

Postby maccayak » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:08 am

When I bought my bike the wheel had a slight buckle, only found out when I got it home. The shop said they would fix it on first service, so I will wait until then before I change tyres. Just so they dont blame me.

Thanks for advice.

Geoff
maccayak

Postby scotto » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:51 pm

if you can buckle your wheel by changing a tire then there is something REALLY wrong with the wheel in the first place...

trust me, no bike shop would blame a buckled wheel on a tire change...i hope :wink:
scotto

Return to MTB