Rocky Trail MTB Grand Prix questions

shaneo92

Rocky Trail MTB Grand Prix questions

Postby shaneo92 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:22 pm

I have entered to do the first of these events at the Mt. Annan Botanic Gardens and I have a couple questions from any of you that have done one of these events before.

1. What sort of facilities are there available for spectators (my wife is coming along for the day)
2. Is there a pit/transition area to stop in to get food or drinks when I need to from the wife
3. Is there a water station to fill up the camelback (I guess there would be)
4. Is there much entertainment (music etc) for people that dont do mountain biking (I have some friends that may stop by)
5. Is it normally a staggered start or does everyone go together
6. Am I fit enough (just kidding), its too late now :mrgreen:

Im really looking forward to it, I used to compete in motocross races but this is my first mountain bike event so its all new to me, cant wait to get more involved in this great sport :D

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Masi Evoluzione Ultegra 2012, Giant Anthem X2, 90s Torker

trailburner

Re: Rocky Trail MTB Grand Prix questions

Postby trailburner » Mon May 02, 2011 12:51 pm

Hi Shaneo,

Sorry I only saw your questions today. While the first round is already done and dusted I answer them anyways as there are 3 more rounds to go:

We have music and an MC to keep the spectators entertained and in the loop of what is happening. We also run kids races throughout the day as well as coloring in competitions.
We route the track so that it comes past as many tents as possible for quick and easy support.
Water - at Mount Annan there is a water tap, please bring your own to Awaba and Dargle Farm. At Mt Stromlo there is again plenty of water.
Depending on numbers we try to split the field at the beginning as much as possible. At Mt Annan we started the 4 hour riders first and then the 8 hour guys a few minutes later. Traffic is always an issue on lap 1 but after that it usually spreads nicely over the entire track.
Were you fit enough?

At Mt Annan as well as Awaba we have the Banzai LifeCycle on the following day. A 10, 25 or 40km time trial - maybe something for your wife?

Hope to see you at the next round.

shaneo92

Re: Rocky Trail MTB Grand Prix questions

Postby shaneo92 » Mon May 02, 2011 9:15 pm

No worries Trailburner.

The event was fantastic, I thoroughly enjoyed it! :D

I managed 7 laps in the 4 hours(my goal was 8), I got pretty bad cramp on lap 5 which slowed me down...

I cant wait to do the remaining 3 events, I have been spending more time on the bike and I am working on getting a few riding mates to give it a go.
Masi Evoluzione Ultegra 2012, Giant Anthem X2, 90s Torker