Downhill helmet help needed?

Mountainbiking central

Downhill helmet help needed?

Postby ramjet » Tue May 10, 2011 12:15 am

Hi, I am looking for a lightweight Downhill or BMX full-face helmet. It must have excellent ventilation and peripheral vision as well.
I have one other main important requirement - it must meet AS1698 for motorcycling, or equivalent world standards here.

I have searched online, been to cycle shops, motorcycle shops and havent really found much to my liking so far, not enough ventilation is the main dislike.
The only one that seems to fit the criteria is the Troy Lee Designs - Air, but the price is getting a bit more than I want to spend.

Any suggestions or alternatives?
ramjet

by BNA » Tue May 10, 2011 8:56 am

BNA

Re: Downhill helmet help needed?

Postby trailgumby » Tue May 10, 2011 8:56 am

might be better posting this on rotorburn.com - a lot more downhilers there.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby alchemist » Tue May 10, 2011 9:51 am

If you want light weight and airflow expect to pay the big $. 661 might have something a bit cheaper than TLD.

Helmet fit is important so you may find some fit you better than others so best to try the on. A shop with a big DH focus like The Bike Shed Mortdale (if you're in Sydney) should have a good range.
alchemist

Postby mitzikatzi » Tue May 10, 2011 10:07 am

Feel free to correc tme if I am wrong.
I was of the opinion that most full face mtb helmets do not meet the Aust Std but only pass CE CS
Xplora wrote: Do not get cheap SPDs, your body will hurt you.

trailgumby wrote:29ers are awesome.
mitzikatzi

Postby trailgumby » Tue May 10, 2011 10:13 pm

If true, that would surprise me given it's illegal to sell non-AS/NZS 2063/2008 compliant helmets in Oz.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

trailgumby

Postby mitzikatzi » Tue May 10, 2011 11:42 pm

Some info on Downhill helmets and "standards" here

Therefore a full face helmet sold for downhill MTB racing does not need to meet Australian Standard, but the same helmet, if sold for BMX racing, must meet Australian Standard.
Xplora wrote: Do not get cheap SPDs, your body will hurt you.

trailgumby wrote:29ers are awesome.
mitzikatzi

Postby trailgumby » Wed May 11, 2011 9:16 am

The MTBA rules allow for overseas riders (and those parallel importing as a consequence) to use helmets complying with equivalent O/S standards to race in sanctioned events.

That's a separate issue to the ACCC rules governing what Australian retailers are allowed to sell.

Interesting related topic:

At The Mont this year in Canberra, there was a fair bit of fuss over what helmets were going to be allowed. Initially it was AS/NZS 2063 helmets only, but this was later widened to the MTBA specification.

Considering that the event was on a closed course held entirely off road, road rule considerations weren't a driver.

The story that came out at the rider briefing was that apparently a cyclist had been killed in the ACT (not sure if it was at an event or not) and the State Coroner made a finding that had his helmet met Australian Standards it would have changed the outcome.

Consequently it will be law next year that all helmets used in organised events in the ACT must be AS/NZS compliant.

Before you could start on the course your helmet needed to be inspected and have a scrutineering sticker applied.

Not sure how the Coroner came to that conclusion or what evidence was gained to support the conclusion - would be interesting to read the actual judgement.

trailgumby

Postby Mugglechops » Wed May 11, 2011 8:22 pm

I think its going to be hard for you to find a vented helmet that complies with the standard for motorcycles.

I had a bell DH helmet that met the bicycle standard but not the moto standard.

My moto helmet is way to heavy and hot to wear on the pushy.
Mugglechops

Postby trailgumby » Wed May 11, 2011 9:11 pm

Interesting though that some of the DH teams have been mandating moto helmets for their riders. WA hotshot Johnny Waddell credits a change in team policy to using moto helmets immediately prior to his last major DH race with saving his life in a horrible crash off a 6m jump to flat. <Shudders> Seem to recall it might have been a Red Bull event.

It was still a long slow recovery. He's been doing endurance events since - I think he competed in edition of the solo 24 WC held at Laguna Seca

trailgumby

Postby ramjet » Thu May 12, 2011 11:05 pm

Thanks to all for the replies and comments. Yes I think it will be a bit of a struggle to find an alternative for a lighter moto helmet.
I will however look into the links to the DH site. I did go to some local shops cycle and moto, got the impression looking at the difference in standards it will come down to price in a moto type helmet.
ramjet

Return to MTB