Barrington Tops: Thunderbolt trail ride

Mountainbiking central

Barrington Tops: Thunderbolt trail ride

Postby Muz » Sun May 15, 2011 7:14 pm

Hi

I'm after info on the Thunderbolt trail ( Barrington tops area).

I'm keen to do a 3 day ride,

My questions are as follows:

Is its possible to do this within this time frame?

Where is the start and finish location?
Muz

by BNA » Tue May 17, 2011 4:47 pm

BNA

Re: Barrington Tops: Thunderbolt trail ride

Postby WarrenH » Tue May 17, 2011 4:47 pm

Muz, G'day.

What now appears as Thunderbolt's Track on maps like the NSW State Forest Maps (Walcha State Forests and Barrington Tops State Forests) and National Parks maps are only segments of Thunderbolt's Track.

Thunderbolt's Track became a section of the Bicentennial National Trail, that went from Nowendoc south along Thunderbolts Way and went through to Gummi (Gummi Road). After leaving Thunderbolts Way, onto the Hungry Hill Track, then at Corroboree Flat where the Hungry Hill Track joins the Giro Fire Trail (aka the top of Giro Road) the track crosses the property of Carramea on the Barnard River. The track then turns south at the junction of the Mernot Creek Track and Curricabark Track, then following the Curricabark River upstream to the gorge, after crossing the river a few times, before heading up through the extremely narrow Drover's Gap in the NW corner of Woko National Park. Then back down and along the Carricabark River again including several more river crossings, before heading south again at the confluence of the Carricabark River and Myra Creek. The track then passes White's Travelling Stock Reserve then joins the Curricabark Road ... then continues on the BNT to Gummi.

The track has been closed to through travelers at Carramea. People on the BNT were not contacting the property owners (particularly at Carramea) before crossing their lands. The historic Drover's Gap is now becoming overgrown, sadly. The old timers hand-cut a pass through solid rock at Drovers Gap, which allowed the cattle to pass in single file. Closing this historic trail (to through travelers on the BNT) has been a great loss to all, not just to those riding on the BNT. At Drover's Gap there is a population of Rock Wallabies and my feeling is that National Parks aren't pushing for the reopenning of Thundabolt's Track after they purchased Carramea, because of the endangered Rock Wallabies.

The only way to access the (missing) track now is from the south off Curricabark Road and I believe there may still be access issues with the property owner of 'Carricabark' on Carters Road. There is no access across the National Parks now owned property at Carramea. The previous owner of Carramea, sold the property to National Parks.

You may notice on some maps the spelling of Carramea is Karramea.

The final plan of management is now available for 'Barrington Tops National Park, Mount Royal National Park and the Barrington Tops State Conservation Area'. On the last page, Map #3 is the cycling and horse trails map ... http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/resou ... lFinal.pdf

Knowing that the BNT has been rerouted to Nundle and Aberdeen (about 110 kilometres of rerouting), to avoid the problems with no access across Carramea well prior to the management plan being released, National Parks are still showing the BNT heading towards the Carricabark River ... mixed messages for sure. Maybe this track along the Carricabark is a suck-it-and-see for the brave ... coming from the south. I have my eye on it.

Warren.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.
WarrenH

Re: Barrington Tops: Thunderbolt trail ride

Postby WarrenH » Mon May 23, 2011 5:01 pm

Hot off the press, good news indeed, info from an advising committee member to the National Parks and Wildlife Advisory Council.

The ministerial authorising and approving the re-opening of the track across Carramea is currently waiting the NSW Minister for Environment Change and Water's signature and appears to be just a formality.

Dear Minister, please hurry up. I also want to do this track before the snakes wake up again.

An ancient forest on Thunderbolt's Track.

Warren.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.
WarrenH

Return to MTB