Help, what to about rear shock?

Mountainbiking central

Help, what to about rear shock?

Postby janus77 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:10 am

Howdy folks.
The RP3 in my Yeti is bunged, it needs a new air sleeve and rebuild.
The LBS said I should get a full factory rebuild by the fox service centre, which will run to $300.
Or, they can buy a replacement air sleeve and put a new seal kit in for $160.
Or, they can supply me with a new RP23 for around $640 (eek).

I'm leaning towards the $160 option, but it seems steep too. Maybe i should just order the air sleeve and rebuild myself (since they have already gotten it out of the frame - it was stuck in the mounting bolts fused or something).

Trouble with replacement shocks are i need the specific stroke and length, AND tune.. so even if i get the correct size shock, it might not be tuned for the frame.

Any advice?
janus77

by BNA » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:21 pm

BNA

Re: Help, what to about rear shock?

Postby trailgumby » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:21 pm

What are the symptoms, exactly? Is it "stuck down" and won't spring back when compressed? This is a common one that is simply caused by seal wear. Or is the integrity of the can compromised somehow?

If it's just stuck down, you just need a new seal kit (USD6.00, AUD 25.00 :evil:) and to hunt around youtube for the Fox Racing Shocks Servicing video. Fox seal kits are universal to all models and haven't changed this century and changing them is easy to do. All you need is a vice, a rubber band style jam jar lid opener and a workshop rag.

Most things that can go wrong with a fox shock are user serviceable. Stroke information for the shock should be available from your frame manual. Do a search for the appropriaate part number. A replacement can won't disturb yoru shock's tune so long as it is the same volume as the original.

$160 sounds like the usual Australian retail hip pocket vacuum cleaning. :shock:
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby A_P » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:26 pm

have a look at the fox web page, there is a short video on air sleeve maintenance.
If you are a confident bike mechanic, it would be a relatively simple job.
But looking at the shock, the air sleeve is basically a tube with seals at the ends, im wondering what could break in it?
A_P

Postby janus77 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:30 pm

Apparently the metal's bent on the inside where it's supports the seals.
The air sleeve replacement is $100, so they'll charge me $60 on top of that to put the seals in etc, which i can do myself pretty easily.
Hmm..

The shock was "stuck down", i let the air out when i was trying to get it out of the frame, and it sucked in all the way and wouldn't pop out again.
janus77

Return to MTB