please help me spend wisely

loulou40

please help me spend wisely

Postby loulou40 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:20 pm

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bik ... height=635

or
http://www2.cube.eu/uploads/pics/wls-ams.jpg

Both for $1999. The Cube is women specific but size 16 and should really be going a 17. It is also reduced from $2899 it is a 2011 and the Giant is a 2012

Thanks in advance for any advice opinions etc.
veganism rules

Mugglechops

Re: please help me spend wisely

Postby Mugglechops » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:34 pm

I would get the Giant in the size you want. Can you get the next level up in a runout 2011?

The Maestro is a proven design while Cube is still only a smaller player in our market.

The Cube looks nice but if its too small for you, you will regret it.

A_P

Postby A_P » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:37 pm

I would take fox over manitou, and the 15QR thru axle thing stiffens up the front end compared to standard qr.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:30 pm

Sizing trumps everything. If the frame is the wrong size, you will not be comfortable and will not enjoy riding and possibly will result in injury. So go with the bike that fits you best, even if it costs you a little more or the groupset is less.

Maestro is over-rated, there's actually very little difference between well-executed designs, whether they be traditional four-bar like the Cube, single pivot like Cannondale or Yeti, or short-link four-bar (Giant, Pivot, Santa Cruz, et al), so I wouldn't worry too much about the differences they crap on with in brand marketing. If you can get a chance to ride each, you should do that, and if that is on a trail somewhere that would be the gold standard.

The rockshox fork on the Cube is good, so is the Fox fork on the Giant but the 15QR axle is definitely better out of the two - more direct and accurate steering, especially over rough ground, so that would tip me in favour of the Giant, if the bikes were otherwise the same sizing.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:13 pm

Try a quick hunt of bikeexchange, you might get better for less. I agree with Gumby about finding one that works for you, but as Giant fanboy in residence, I must say my Trance X2 2011 is a magnificent beastie at your budget. :mrgreen:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Gabe

Postby Gabe » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:23 pm

CUBE

They're German, and I know that at least a part (if not all) production is in Germany. Everyone knows that German mechanical engineering is the best :mrgreen: Besides, they're growing year by year which means their products have been able to go up against the well-established brands, and it means the support network is constantly improving. And I'm a person who owns a Giant.....

But as gumby said, size is important. The difference in comfort betwen one size and the next one up or down can be quite noticeable over distance rides

loulou40

Postby loulou40 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:56 pm

Thanks for the advice. Eventhough, I wasn't really sure what alot of it was about i trusted your lead and purchased the Giant and am so far very happy. It is far better than my entry level bauer :-).
veganism rules

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:20 pm

Good to see you spent your money.

Now pics or it didn't happen :D