Replacing Shimano front hydraulic disc caliper

nich0051

Replacing Shimano front hydraulic disc caliper

Postby nich0051 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:37 am

Hi all. I've got a giant XCT 2 with what I presume to be a fairly low end Shimano hydraulic disc set up. I got the bike second hand and I've never been happy with the front brake. It apparently had a leaking front caliper which led to very noisy and ineffective braking. This was repaired and was ok for a while but the problem has reappeared. The back brake is ok. I want to replace the front caliper (not the dual purpose lever). I understand that all Shimano hydraulic brakes are interchangeable but are front and rear calipers the same? Any recommendations for a replacement caliper that I can put straight on which isn't going to cost an arm and a leg? Where should I pick one up? Cheers
Roger

zero

Re: Replacing Shimano front hydraulic disc caliper

Postby zero » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:54 pm

The calipers are front/rear specific, and a change of model may change the pad type, so you'd have to be mindful of the rear having different pad types when replacing pads.

The bottom end deore calipers are single piston, the old dual piston (I think its m535) has been dropped, the new bottom end dual piston is the m575, and can be had as just the caliper assembly (c r c/wiggle etc), if thats all you want/need. You'll still need oil, and you'll have to inspect your hose to make sure its ok, and that you are happy it will go back on safely.

If I had an old, routinely contaminated rotor, needed oil anyway, and was doubtful of my hose, and a non matching lever, I'd probably just buy an m665 shimano SLX front kit from c r c (they even sell the kit preassembled with the lever setup for the australian side) and get the servo wave lever automatically as part of the kit. if you start thinking that way, then you can also be open to non shimano if you feel like it.

nich0051

Re: Replacing Shimano front hydraulic disc caliper

Postby nich0051 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:58 am

Thanks Zero, that's really helpful.
Roger