Anyone ride a fatbike.

Mugglechops

Re: Anyone ride a fatbike.

Postby Mugglechops » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:50 pm

Just bringing this back up again. The seed is starting to grow. Might start buying bits.

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:29 am

Haven't tried a fat bike, but of they are half as much fun as fat skis then I'm in.
Beach riding is very nice, and getting away in the Outback sounds nice too.
You have officially become your parents.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:08 am

Fatbike still sounds like great fun but my poor wounded gears after a few rainy days are making me wonder how much fun I could get away with before throwing the bike in frustration :shock:

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:02 pm

Xplora wrote:Fatbike still sounds like great fun but my poor wounded gears after a few rainy days are making me wonder how much fun I could get away with before throwing the bike in frustration :shock:
Maybe this should go in your other thread, but if you want to ride in the rain/muck you need to consider things like a front mudguard with a huge coverage like SKS Longboards or at least a aftermarket or custom mudflap. Also full length outers for the cables that matter.

I have full length outers for both brakes and the RD and have no problems so far. Should last for years.

gcouyant

Postby gcouyant » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:09 pm

Mugglechops wrote:Just bringing this back up again. The seed is starting to grow. Might start buying bits.
And good in you for doing so Mugglechops!

We have been loving riding fat. Even doing the mundane like rail trails becomes an adventure.

Next big ride is Googs Track north of Ceduna. 150km of dunes and salt lakes. Fat is the only way to do it.
George from iSi Advanced Bicycle Carrier Systems

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:32 pm

gcouyant wrote:
Mugglechops wrote:Just bringing this back up again. The seed is starting to grow. Might start buying bits.
And good in you for doing so Mugglechops!

We have been loving riding fat. Even doing the mundane like rail trails becomes an adventure.

Next big ride is Googs Track north of Ceduna. 150km of dunes and salt lakes. Fat is the only way to do it.

For sure.

ozzybmx

Postby ozzybmx » Wed May 02, 2012 12:34 am

Hey guys, i have just bought a fatty frame and forks from my LBS as DW's were running out last years Mukluk's. All the bits arrived on Monday and i have spent the afternoon building it up, will take a few pics tomorrow and post them up.

ozzybmx

Postby ozzybmx » Wed May 02, 2012 11:09 pm

I had a blast today riding this.... well and truely hooked ! Still cant believe how much fun this bike was, definately an awesome decision 8)

I'll be needing a set of those fat tyre hoops for my ISI Rack George.

First ride today.....

gcouyant

Postby gcouyant » Wed May 02, 2012 11:36 pm

ozzybmx wrote:I had a blast today riding this.... well and truely hooked ! Still cant believe how much fun this bike was, definately an awesome decision 8)
OMGosh that Mukluk looks SENSATIONAL! Love it!

And they are so much fun. Isn't it hard to explain why? My wife and I have been racking our brains to put the finger on why it is so much fun riding fat. We find ourselves smiling and giggling as soon as we throw a leg over the bike.
ozzybmx wrote:I'll be needing a set of those fat tyre hoops for my ISI Rack George.
No problem. There should be plenty in stock because we recently finished a production run on the new 5" wide models. A word of warning though when travelling with a fat bike on display. You can't go anywhere without having people oogling at it. More so with your hot orange frame and orange rim liner. Where did you get orange from? Fabulous with the blue cables and highlights.

gcouyant

Postby gcouyant » Wed May 02, 2012 11:39 pm

Mugglechops wrote:For sure.

Now that's a rear tyre that has delivered a lot of love...... Awesome black sand in that picture too.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Thu May 03, 2012 3:20 am

Love that bike ozzybmx.

I still need to work on the wife to get the go ahead to get one.

ozzybmx

Postby ozzybmx » Thu May 03, 2012 10:10 am

gcouyant wrote: Where did you get orange from? Fabulous with the blue cables and highlights.
I had 3 colours shortlisted then i seen a guys orange "fatback" on MTBR and that sealed the deal. The Blue came from the stock salsa seatclamp.

Mugglechops, just buy bit by bit... its only when the wheels arrive you'll have some explaining to do.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu May 03, 2012 5:04 pm

ozzybmx wrote:
gcouyant wrote: Where did you get orange from? Fabulous with the blue cables and highlights.
I had 3 colours shortlisted then i seen a guys orange "fatback" on MTBR and that sealed the deal. The Blue came from the stock salsa seatclamp.

Mugglechops, just buy bit by bit... its only when the wheels arrive you'll have some explaining to do.
How much champ??? Not sure Orange is my gig, but its your bike. Nice action shot BTW 8)

gcouyant

Postby gcouyant » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:50 pm

Four more sleeps to go before heading North into the Kimberley and Gulf. Planning a trip full of fat fun.

And just for a giggle, a lap of Wolfe Creek meteorite crater - which from the air, has more than a passing resemblance to a fat wheel.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:55 pm

Awesome George. Be sure to post plenty of pics when you get back.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:17 pm

Mugglechops wrote:Awesome George. Be sure to post plenty of pics when you get back.
IF he gets back... George, if you see John Jarrett during the trip at ANY point, make sure you know how to kill a man using a CO2 canister and a tyre lever :shock:

saronmcm1

Postby saronmcm1 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:39 pm

Hi, have a great trip. Please post ride report.
Has anyone tried the new ul tyres from surly. My original tyres are still hanging in there.
Pug is still going strong, great over here at the moment with the rain we are having.
Is anyone doing cape to cape WA?
Cheers

gcouyant

Postby gcouyant » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:35 am

Xplora wrote:
Mugglechops wrote:Awesome George. Be sure to post plenty of pics when you get back.
IF he gets back...
We made it back in one piece....but struggling with the cold over here.

A few random photos from up North. Cattle still cut the best single track ever and there is no question that a Fat bike in the Kimberly is the best platform to explore from. After years of riding "normal" bikes up north, this trip with fatty was an eye opener at just how much fun it was....except on rock, rough downhill, tight single track and corrugations.....OMGosh, I am so over corrugations.

We travelled in comfort....

The crater was awesome but spinafex sharp. Legs looked like pepperoni pizzas.

Random creek bed in the Northern Bungles. The loose rounded river rock made it tough to pedal over. Impossible on 2.4" MTB tyres.

Exploring a track that somebody had gone to some effort to hide the entrance to. I wish it was appropriate to photograph what lay at the end.

Vehicles had travelled on this dry creek bed and the firm surface made it easy to pedal on.

By driving through the river crossings the crocs remained hungry. There was one just up stream from this point where we camped later.

Random water hole on the King Edward River about 80km east of Mitchell Falls. Cross country riding was regularly rewarded with cool places like this to cool off. Only fresh water crocs here so it was safe(ish) to swim.

Exploring south of the King Edward crossing where we came across a heck of a lot of rock art. Whilst most of this is in pretty poor condition, the ranger had not seen it and it initiated a bit of a flurry of activity to document what we found. Riding through waist high dry grass was stressful though because the place was full of taipans, death adders and brown snakes.

There was a bit of Bradshaw art that predated aboriginal history so the area was likely occupied for several thousand years and these works will be over 2000 years old. This spot was above the regular flood levels so all (including the Bradshaw at the lower left) were in pretty good condition. I am waiting to hear back about other pictures of stunning works before posting anywhere. I really don't want to offend anyone.

We were left speechless after this ride through Keep River.

You're in amongst it where after every turn you're confronted with many options to explore.

Longreach water hole about 20km from the town of Elliot. Full of bird life and fascinating nooks and crannies. Had my only stack here. The big flying W over the bars when the front wheel came to a sudden stop after breaking through the hard crusty surface. The funny thing was that even though there was nobody around for God knows how far, the first thing I did after picking myself up off the ground was to look around in case someone was watching.

So now it's back to catching up with carrier orders. The good thing is that most who purchase our carriers are of a like mind and love adventure travel and exploration by bike. And damn it, because we share fantastic experiences and information, the next six months will invariably be all about planning for the next one.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:37 pm

What an awesome trip. Great photos too.

saronmcm1

Postby saronmcm1 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:51 pm

Great photos, how did the bike go any problems?
How do you find the suspension seat post on the corrugations, does it create bobbing.
Did you run a tubeless setup on the larrys, I just bought a bfl of one of the members but aging problems going tubeless on lm rims.
If you get perm I would love to see indig art.
Cheers
Ron

gcouyant

Postby gcouyant » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:53 pm

saronmcm1 wrote:Great photos, how did the bike go any problems?
How do you find the suspension seat post on the corrugations, does it create bobbing.
Did you run a tubeless setup on the larrys, I just bought a bfl of one of the members but aging problems going tubeless on lm rims.
If you get perm I would love to see indig art.
Cheers
Ron
The bike was just fine Ron. I wish the body could keep up though. The heat and humidity was tough in places.

It's a bit of a love - hate relationship between the Thudbuster and me. Mandatory in the terrain we ride if you're going to spend any real time in the saddle. Bobbing isn't an issue Ron. The Tudbuster's 4-bar linkage results in a natural movement back and down when compressed and all it does is to take the sting out of the hits. On corrugations you stand. A fat bike is difficult to control over corrugations when seated. I use that time to stand and scan ahead looking for the smoother line. What I do struggle with is they click when begining to wear the DU bushes. I have two seat posts always with fresh bushes but it doesn't take long before they start talking to you. Nothing ruins a long ride for me quicker than a mechanical noise that shouldn't be there.

Tubeless are a must. When God mate bushes with thorns he must have been in a foul mood when scattering them around the top end and the deserts of Central Australia. It's not uncommon to return back to camp with a hundred thorns embedded in each tyre. Some of the 3-corner jacks will make the tyre hiss and spray your leg until the sealant finally cures. The only hassle with tubeless fat tyres though is it's easier for sticks to pierce and destroy a tyre.

Going tubeless reliably is a bit of a hassle without the right bits. I can share my experience with the 80mm wide rims if you like. This solution should work a treat with the 100mm wide rims too.

Will post a link to more rock art images when approved.

LoveB

Postby LoveB » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:09 am

I want a fat bike :(

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:35 pm

Brilliant photos :D

Gotta go visit there soon.

Looks like Surly has upped the ante with a 700c fatbike, according to BikeRadar.

gcouyant

Postby gcouyant » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:11 pm

trailgumby wrote:Looks like Surly has upped the ante with a 700c fatbike, according to BikeRadar.
Yes but at 3" wide, you'll never be able to initiate eye contact with a BFL rider. :wink:

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:04 am

How long does it take for the Thudbuster to start chirping?