Anyone ride a fatbike.

Mugglechops

Re: Anyone ride a fatbike.

Postby Mugglechops » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:29 am

xx68 wrote:I have entered the world of the fat bike , it makes me giggle like a child , test rode by splashing through puddles , jumping off kerbs , wheelying and generally speeding about in the rain !
So , it's home now and will do a 'proper ride ' when the weather is a bit better - don't want to get my new toy dirty .....
Sounds like you have quickly worked out the standard fat bike riding style :D

Now go get it dirty and post lots of photos.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:55 pm

I want one.

I haven't ridden a fat bike, but they make a lot of sense for my current location with all nearby tracks containing deep sand.

I just saw one of Torpedo 7 that looked interesting. It's just too soon in my "comeback" to pull the trigger on any bike though.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:42 am

Here's a little beach ride video I just uploaded, from a few camera angles (Contour Roam2 on handlebar, Drift Stealth 2 on helmet and rear seat post).

PS: only just discovered wheelies thanks to the short gearing, 4th outing practising, first time for 3rd person footage to see it, with some editing for emphasis to make the memories last longer :)

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:47 am

Cool videos. I had my first Fat bike group ride since breaking back last year. 37kms and I was bit stuffed at the end.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:21 pm

I as wrong in the post three up from here: Apparently, it wasn't too soon. :)

My first beach ride on the new KHS 3000 ....

A whole bunch of fun riding along the beach looking for salmon to cast at. Unfortunately, no salmon were around today. Maybe next time.

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:49 pm

Nice looking bike, anywhere cage mounts on fork too, I'll have to check it out ;)

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:29 pm

It's no Mukluk, but it's surprisingly good for a sub-$2000 bike. I'll be swapping my ThudBuster onto it as soon as the new shim arrives, too. :)

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:23 pm

eldavo wrote:Nice looking bike, anywhere cage mounts on fork too, I'll have to check it out ;)
+ 1

Andrew

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:54 pm

Reminder, 2015 Global Fat Bike Day tomorrow, so get your fatties out for a ride.

I had to get in prematurely yesterday, as I've got a non-fat date tomorrow.

https://1motorcyclist.wordpress.com/201 ... -bike-day/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:09 pm

We had 11 riders for our Global Fat Bike Day ride from Thirroul to Kiama. Was a great day out.

piledhigher

Postby piledhigher » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:14 pm

Mugglechops wrote:We had 11 riders for our Global Fat Bike Day ride from Thirroul to Kiama. Was a great day out.

I'm presuming that the cops are reviving an internet meme and telling you to go be fat somewhere else?

avolve

Postby avolve » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:54 pm

Mugglechops wrote:We had 11 riders for our Global Fat Bike Day ride from Thirroul to Kiama. Was a great day out.
Shame I missed that. I ride the beach between Thirroul and Wollongong every couple of weeks on my Pug Black Ops.

Anyone running fenders (sand management)? Interested in experiences.

Any suggestions for rust treatment? I some surface rust near the BB (I picked it up second hand about a year back)

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:46 pm

I've tried a Hebie Chainglider on a Rohloff, new chain still had sand covering the new chain waxy lubricant. the chain glider just hid it from sight, it may have even given it a delivery channel onto the chain.
https://1motorcyclist.wordpress.com/201 ... a-rohloff/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://1motorcyclist.wordpress.com/201 ... ainglider/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm happy with a Tubus FAT Rack and a couple of strap on MTB downtube fenders that have adapted to work as one rear fat bike mudguard, keeping everything like my Thudbuster seatpost and aged Brooks B68 seat clean without the constant salty/sandy spray.

Prior to the Tubus FAT Rack arriving, I used a seatpost pannier rack with the pannier stays removed. Same pair of MTB front strap-on mudguards to seal from below the frame seat tube, and back to tail.
https://www.instagram.com/p/-0YFhiNkld/ ... y=daveth79" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.instagram.com/p/-0dS8MNkrY/ ... y=daveth79" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've found before/after rides brushing the single speed drive train (with KMC Eco Proteq chain) is easy and minimal lubricant keeps it cleaner than the generous amount I was using to keep the rear derailleur bikes shifting.
I just noticed they state "650 hours salt spray" which I can't find an explanation of, but assume it's a rating for the salted snow cycle paths in Europe that are ploughed clear and salted daily.
http://kmcchain.us/chain-feature/eco-proteq-technology/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Where my regular KMC X10 10sp chain rusts and seizes up overnight if not lubed despite a fresh water hose down, this EcoProteq chain (Z1 version for narrow single speed/Rohloff use) shows no sign over corrosion between rides so I've applied a decreasing amount of lube, become more complacent with wash/lube ritual, and mostly just do the brushing to eliminate the crunching noise of the sand.
Matches the Ti grey nicely too I think ;)
https://www.instagram.com/p/_1Oe98Nki2/ ... y=daveth79" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avolve

Postby avolve » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:37 pm

eldavo wrote: I'm happy with a Tubus FAT Rack and a couple of strap on MTB downtube fenders that have adapted to work as one rear fat bike mudguard, keeping everything like my Thudbuster seatpost and aged Brooks B68 seat clean without the constant salty/sandy spray.

Prior to the Tubus FAT Rack arriving, I used a seatpost pannier rack with the pannier stays removed. Same pair of MTB front strap-on mudguards to seal from below the frame seat tube, and back to tail.
https://www.instagram.com/p/-0YFhiNkld/ ... y=daveth79" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.instagram.com/p/-0dS8MNkrY/ ... y=daveth79" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I give mine a shower when leaving the beach, then a hosedown when home. I have had a quick lok at SKS Grand M.O.M and D.A.D fenders. A little beefy looking...

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:50 pm

I am slack and just throw mine back in the car without a wash.

Then next ride just lube the chain. I suppose I should wash it more often.

avolve

Postby avolve » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:22 pm

So hydro v mechanical disc brakes?

I am thinking about hydro and preventing shoter-longer term impacts of sand on cables/housing for mechanicals.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:23 pm

If trail riding, not off-grid critical reliability adventure prep, just run what ya brung til it breaks and consider then, or go hydro if preferred regardless.

Cables spares can be shared with shifters in emergency, lose front derailleur for front brake function even if no spares etc. and cleaner easier brake cable spare to carry and change.

I haven't noticed sand a new problem for shift cables so imagine brakes should be OK too, but if use them can experience yourself to decide on replacement.

I have read of high mileage riders on multiple bikes including tandems using cables, so without getting religious about it, if it stops and suits your needs, it's the tool for the job.

P.s. fat bikes saying is “keep off the brakes” carry momentum and use the traction for trails. I barely ever use brakes in sand. Stopping is done by not pedalling :P

xx68

Postby xx68 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:35 pm

In an unrelated vein ......the idaditarod race has been run and won by a fella on a fat bike - it only took 11days .

No , it's not the tour , but it is ice n snow and just under 1000miles through the wilderness of Alaska , there was a couple of mechanical issues - chains and cranks mostly .

The sled dogs were faster ....

I've been riding my fatty ( not as much as I would like ) and it's still a hoot !

Although the " hardcore bike shops " really do frown down on you - one referred to it as a child's toy .

This is why bike shops go broke . And the Internet will win .

And yes , I still retail a product we manufacture in Aust , that is a high value discretionary spending item .

Much like a bicycle . So I understand the customer product interface ....

Rant over , back to " Fatty-Ness "

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:55 pm

Check out River City Cycles on FB, owner Troy is in the Iditarod on a fat bike, his store is big on fat bikes with Salsa, and he is the Cannondale FAT Ambassador, with the first Fat CAAD 1 lefty in the country.
You will like him :)

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:28 pm

xx68 wrote:No , it's not the tour , but it is ice n snow and just under 1000miles through the wilderness of Alaska , there was a couple of mechanical issues - chains and cranks mostly .

Are you serious? It makes the tour look like a ride in the park.

Iditarod Invitational cyclist rides fat-tired bike to mind-boggling race record
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

ianganderton

Postby ianganderton » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:03 pm

My moonlander has recently landed on these shores and needs an outing now.

I brought it when I was living in the Middle East to try in the dunes there and it was OUTSTANDING!!! A complete game changer that led to some amazing adventures

For a sample of UAE fat biking here is a video

https://vimeo.com/60316882" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NOT sent from tapatalk

xx68

Postby xx68 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:38 pm

RonK wrote:
xx68 wrote:No , it's not the tour , but it is ice n snow and just under 1000miles through the wilderness of Alaska , there was a couple of mechanical issues - chains and cranks mostly .

Are you serious? It makes the tour look like a ride in the park.

Iditarod Invitational cyclist rides fat-tired bike to mind-boggling race record

It's a fantastic achievement !

And I love watching the tour ,but this is another level of mental and physical punishment .
There are a couple of members here who have done the Simpson challenge - which is similar ( just shorter and warmer ... )

I have been known to push my emotional , physical and mental limits , I'm not sure I could do the Iditarod without a complete breakdown .

cray-

Postby cray- » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:10 pm

In a similar vain, anyone familiar with the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route?

I watched a cool documentary about it some time back, called Ride The Divide, worth a look

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhrtPyr1KQI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rent it: https://vimeo.com/ondemand/14028/9654326" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Sat May 07, 2016 1:42 am

Since everyone is riding a fatbike now, just checking back to see if anyone has run into any beaches off-limits?

My undesired winter project is now pursuing this issue of bicycles banned from the beach in City of Stirling, updated here:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=90033&p=1347254#p1346773

eldavo

Re: Anyone ride a fat bike? Plus my first plus bike

Postby eldavo » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:19 pm

The Trek Stache 7 was discounted, I checked out the potential for belt tension since it has elevated chain stay, so I've locked away a 17 inch frame, with a geared hub belt drive in mind. I'll try it out as-is while under warranty (ghetto tubeless probably needed), and do a RonK length of build time on the belt drive geared hub project that has a bunch of complexity. Possibly seek a rigid Stache 5 fork from USA in that time.

I've got a belt drive split Ti fat bike Muru frame with Lauf fork, but it's got electric assist I'm testing at the moment which is really handy for eroded steep slope winter beaches now keeping on the bike with a throttle blip when needed. It's also a good touring loaded bike weight (i.e. double) riding without assist for a workout, in addition to riding on sand at 3-5psi already.

Summer time my monster-cross-ish Mukluk Ti ergonomics are "dialed" and I can just swap over the Rohloff wheel from the winter e-assist hardtail bike, to the summer pedal-only rigid that is nicer rigid when power bracing through the bars without the suspension bounce.

The light trail bike carbon/alloy Mukluk rigid with tubeless carbon rims is the local trail and beach fun, just awaiting a new headset (standard was open bearing? yikes!) and TLC, but will probably keep waiting with the Stache coming along.

Here's my first attempt at fat bike on some easy stairs recently without hitting them fast, close up showing I need more tyre pressure if going to ride stairs.