Anyone ride a fatbike.

Mugglechops

Re: Anyone ride a fatbike.

Postby Mugglechops » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:49 pm

Xplora wrote:Mugg, looks like the bicycle equivalent of Harley D's pulling up at a biker bar 8)
I better not mention that two of them only pulled their bikes out in the carpark and rolled 30 metres there :-)

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:44 am

Used up your fat tyres ... here is a suggestion for recycling or is simply a statement about your fashion sense? :)

Andrew

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:40 pm

For the beach cruising budget minded... (who can't get the Walmart Mongoose $200 jobbies :(

On-One UK have the original Fatty rolling chassis on sale with free freight. Stock is "Due In" and no black tyres in stock... which suited me. Comes in under duties threshold.
I added the slick BSC 3.5 tyres as a lighter narrower quieter path/beach option to try.

I stumbled on it as my Baby Fatty rolling chassis from PlanetX USA is 3 weeks waiting for 24" tubes to arrive from the UK, and the complete Baby Fatty from UK was on sale (over duties threshold though).

So I'll have His and Hers fatties to build up, if they arrive without issue.

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:07 pm

Storm cycles in tugun (Gold coast) hire out bronx fatbikes for $30 1/2 day or $50 per day.

Bronx bikes are single speed 26 x about 4 " fatbikes with a single front disc brake.

Nothing flash on the fatty scene but good if you want to try out fat wheels on the beach.
(Dont know if they charge extra to clean out the sand from the drive train)

Will probably give it a shot in a day or two
Go!Run!GAH!

cray-

Postby cray- » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:00 am

eldavo wrote:For the beach cruising budget minded... (who can't get the Walmart Mongoose $200 jobbies :(

On-One UK have the original Fatty rolling chassis on sale with free freight. Stock is "Due In" and no black tyres in stock... which suited me. Comes in under duties threshold.
I added the slick BSC 3.5 tyres as a lighter narrower quieter path/beach option to try.
499GBP (900AUD) and you still need a groupset and I'm not sure what else. Your and my idea of "budget minded" vary greatly, but thanks for the heads up. Here's a link for anyone else who's keen: http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/ZXOOFAT/on- ... sis-bundle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:56 am

Still at U$D $686.65 (~AU$750) for the bundle including free freight when you've set your destination to Australia.

By comparison for similar money I was looking at this preorder from Cyclingdeal, has some pro's/con's for itself, $1090 delivered ~September.
http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/2015- ... b/CGT215MA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Depends on your preferences, but for me getting a nicer frameset, smaller 16" frame, and choosing parts to fit myself, e.g. new fat bike XC weight cranksets ~$175 rather than the Wheeler spec older approach of heavy 100mm DH crankset.

Or next step up $2300 for an entry level Specialized Fatboy in stock at Wembley Cycles is an option... but I'm building up two bikes for that price so can lend one to a friend to share the social beach ride experience.

My OnOne Fatty bundle arrived yesterday, 3 bulky boxes from the UK taking 5 working days (and two weekends).
It's a very nice frame, so it's new toy glow rather than buyer's remorse. The stock tyres are lead weights so glad I have the ~1kg BSC's to try as well.

They were also good value for the main parts to build 3 new bikes (two x fat) cost ~$350 delivered in a separate order for these:
3 x Shimano Deore HG62 Cassette 10 Speed 11-34T
3 x KMC X10 10 Speed Chain Silver
3 x Shimano Deore SL-M610 Gear Levers Right 10 Speed Black
3 x Shimano Deore RD-M615 10 Speed Shadow Plus Rear Mech Top Normal GS Cage

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:33 pm

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:38 pm

Andrew

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:53 pm

eldavo wrote:Depends on your preferences, but for me getting a nicer frameset, smaller 16" frame, and choosing parts to fit myself, e.g. new fat bike XC weight cranksets ~$175 rather than the Wheeler spec older approach of heavy 100mm DH crankset.
For similar reasons I am being tempted by a Chinese carbon frame - speedercycles fb02 with frame and fork weighing just 1645g +-55g. Price is reported to be US$529 for frame and fork + shipping and US$35 for painting matt white.

Overall weight & price will depend on the other components. Will need more money in the toys account, but I am sorely tempted

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:19 pm

Salsa Blackborow ... 5" tyre

Andrew

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:05 pm

hired and took a fat bike for a spin today in the snow! great fun.. had a ball. got lots of thumbs up from bewildered skiiers.

mostly went along groomed x-country trails - ungroomed snow is mostly too soft to ride in. but i took it down a couple of short downhill runs :twisted:

hard work though! great workout

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:49 pm

Blackborow dingle speed looks clever.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:54 pm

Next niche big thing... ? Low profile fat tyres. :roll:

Lifted from sheldonbrown.org's report by John Allen of Interbike in the US this year. Click through pic to full article. Not much more detail on this set up though.

edit: Surely some sort of prototype. I've just noticed it's running v-brakes! Yeezus. check out the straddle cable length!
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

BaldPatch

Postby BaldPatch » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:26 pm

Saw a few bikes with enormous tyres on Day 1 of the Cape to Cape last year.
Obviously would give you an advantage on the beach.
Personally i don't rate these bikes.

saronmcm1

Postby saronmcm1 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:05 am

Hi, has anyone bought the Wheeler Phoenix carbon fat bike.
Looks like good value for money, if anyone has this bike or test rode
Can you please provide feedback, I asked for more photos from
Company but to no avail. I would like to know frame/ tyre clearance.
Cheers

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:24 am

I got 2 rules about buying stuff now I'm in my 30s.

1. If you can't be bothered with me as a customer, I can't be bothered with you.
2. You need to carry a real brand name with solid history if you expect me to buy chinese crap from you.

If that bike had Specialized or Trek or Giant written on the side, I would say "get some!", but you're talking about the same level as alibaba.com here. Given it's carbon and it's a MTB built for unusual conditions aka ABUSE, my confidence in the product is minimal. Rule 2. The fact they couldn't be bothered at least saying "no we only have this promo shot" is a violation of Rule 1.

These people are an Aussie site, they understand the concept of marketing and advertising (that's why they have a nice clean sales website, not just an HTML hack from the 90s) and they are smart enough to realise that 1900 bucks is a lot of cash for a niche product. Cheaper than 4000 bucks for a competing carbon fatty, sure, but they aren't stupid enough to completely blind about marketing.

I can't really put the boot in hard enough with this issue, saron. A lot of retailers are working damn hard to lift the customer experience, and I don't see the value in supporting cheap chinese crap with no customer support. You need to say "no, that's not good enough". Price isn't the only key signal you should get during the selling process. If it didn't say SRAM or Shimano in the groupset, you wouldn't even consider it. But that's the only real brand on the whole bike.

Chinese marketing is not always like this. Farsports and Yishunbike work REALLY hard, and provide personal email support, to get your business and get you the wheels you want. It proves that even OS retailers can provide some level of confidence and enthusiasm for the product. You can imagine how interested cyclingdeal will be in supporting your warranty claim as a dropshipper :roll:

Save your pennies. Get a Borealis or a Ti frame once you have the cash.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:09 pm

NIce little summary/rant there, xplora :D

I'd sooner wait and get something decent 2nd hand if new was out of my budget (which it is) than tip good money after bad. Bide your time researching & saving. But also frankly, the world of the FatBikes and its myriad of standards still scares me a little bit in terms of longer term servicability and parts. If I did buy second hand I'd want to know what the pitfalls were for likely repairs or upgrades. Knowledge can also be bargaining leverage as well.

In the meantime, my positvely 'old school' 2008 model 26" hardtail mtb with 2.1" tyres will continue to get the love.... (once I get around to rebuilding the hydraulics...) :oops:
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:25 pm

I think that's the thing, Happy - if you're an enthusiast, you really have to ask yourself what your priorities are. If you are wanting something nice, buy the cheapest nice thing you can. But make sure it's nice, "wheeler" is NOT a nice brand. Saving a couple kiloes on a fatbike, when AFAIK no one races fatbikes in Australia except perhaps the Simpson Desert Challenge which gcouyvent is involved with, well it seems to be silly to me.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:25 am

I saw a Mongoose Beast at Malaga Cycles, the steel single speed accessible one-sized frame in one emerald green colour. $469 sticker price with 'can do you a deal' tempter.
I thought of calling Cray right away :) We're talking the U$169-200 Walmart bike that is understandably landing double the price here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IKHaR8JUEg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:06 pm

New problem, any indoor trainers to fit fat bikes?
I use this one as a work stand with benefit of load testing gear shifts etc. without having to go down the street at 1am. Rollers would be a bit harder to wrench on ;)

saronmcm1

Postby saronmcm1 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:12 pm

Hi, I have just bought the Norco Sasquatch (medium) with Bluto. My other bike is a pug with SC32 fork.
Only done about 15KM my initial impressions are.
Bars are wide and give a heads up ride.
Brakes are good.
I have had no problem with gears, bike was delivered with front der grub screw too short for full adjustment. LBS changed.
Wheels are good, first time using vee tyres. The only thing with these tyres are the knobs don't go all the way to edge of tyre.
When I deflate to 8 psi I will test this for sidewall wear/ damage.
Paint finish seems good, couple of points near front of triangle where there will be cable rub.
I need to replace grips they are foam (good for cold weather).
all the Norco gear on bike seems to be of good quality.
I haven't put a water bottle on yet but this could be interesting due to small triangle.
Bike for money is good value, I paid $100 extra for the pug 3 years ago.
When I do a few more rides on sand and singletrack I will update.

Cheers

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:47 pm

Global Fatbike Day was last Saturday. We did our part at Sussex Inlet

cray-

Postby cray- » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:09 pm

eldavo wrote:I saw a Mongoose Beast at Malaga Cycles, the steel single speed accessible one-sized frame in one emerald green colour. $469 sticker price with 'can do you a deal' tempter.
I thought of calling Cray right away :) We're talking the U$169-200 Walmart bike that is understandably landing double the price here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IKHaR8JUEg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Couple months late on the uptake, but yeah looks like they're finally bringing them in officially. 5x showing in WA on bikeexchange: http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/s/-/-/WA ... se%20beast" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wouldn't pay more than $250 though, bugger that Australia Tax.

*EDIT*. AAaaaahhh just figured it out, the 2015 Aus model has an $279 front disc brake fitted. That assplains it. :shock:

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:36 pm

Has no-one noticed the Argus from Mongoose as well http://www.mongoose.com/aus/argus-20119" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Beast is not officially listed on the Mongoose AU site
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:42 pm

Mugglechops wrote:Global Fatbike Day was last Saturday. We did our part at Sussex Inlet
Nice photos and turnout, is the white On-One Fatty rider on BNA? I wanted to ask about the smaller frame bag (since my other larger ones don't fit) and the carbon fork.