Anyone ride a fatbike.

crazyjose

Re: Anyone ride a fatbike.

Postby crazyjose » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:42 pm

Well the Mukluk 2 has turned up from the states, and build starts in earnest. I have most of the bits apart from the wheelset. That is my next bone of contention, whether to buy a complete set from the states (susitna) or get a McGrath one built here, a beargrease wheelset would be awesome to get my hands on but not available at this stage. The joys of building a bike :)

gcouyant

Postby gcouyant » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:06 pm

crazyjose wrote:Well the Mukluk 2 has turned up from the states, and build starts in earnest. I have most of the bits apart from the wheelset. That is my next bone of contention, whether to buy a complete set from the states (susitna) or get a McGrath one built here, a beargrease wheelset would be awesome to get my hands on but not available at this stage. The joys of building a bike :)
Congratulations crazyjose! You are in for a lot of fun!

I had Wayne from Dirtworks build up a wheelset for my Mukluk with the right components on Rollin Daryl 80mm rims and cannot fault them. They arrived true and tight and dead easy to convert to tubeless. Having pounded them for a while now over Kimberley rock, Simpson Desert sand, Yarra trails mud and endless outback corrugations I still can't fault them. What I find hard to deal with though is that whenever I get them onto a wheel truing stand for preventative maintenance they need nothing done. Not even spoke tension. On the other hand, sets of XTR, Crossmax XL and ST wheels etc on my other bikes have needed work - with less riding time.

Like I said, can't fault them and now have no problem placing trust in the wheels for extended travels in remote locations. For 80mm rims, nice and light and efficient as well - but that probably has more to do with spoke choice and build quality.

Actually upon reflection, I can fault them. Not needing any maintenance is doing my head in.
George from iSi Advanced Bicycle Carrier Systems

gcouyant

Postby gcouyant » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:27 pm

gcouyant wrote:
Xplora wrote:
Mugglechops wrote:Awesome George. Be sure to post plenty of pics when you get back.
IF he gets back...
There was a bit of Bradshaw art that predated aboriginal history so the area was likely occupied for several thousand years and these works will be over 2000 years old. This spot was above the regular flood levels so all (including the Bradshaw at the lower left) were in pretty good condition. I am waiting to hear back about other pictures of stunning works before posting anywhere. I really don't want to offend anyone.
Not that this has anything to do with fat bikes other than it's the best way to explore the flood plains along the King Edward River in the Kimberleys, but I had posted earlier images of indigenous art we had found during a bit of bicycle based exploration during a recent trip up to the Kimberley region of Northern Australia.

Well, as an update, there is an effort now to employ modern scientific techniques to accurately date some of the art including some that we uncovered. It is believed to be the earliest artwork on the planet - predating the currently recognised oldest art in Chauvet cave in southern France and the El Castillo cave in Cantabria, Spain.

It's kind of humbling to know that we were standing on the same spot that another person over 40,000 years ago was as well - with little in between. So cool.

crazyjose

Postby crazyjose » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:38 pm

It's kind of humbling to know that we were standing on the same spot that another person over 40,000 years ago was as well - with little in between. So cool.[/quote]

Imagine that poor cavemans reaction to seeing your fatbike if he was able to see it...

gcouyant

Postby gcouyant » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:44 pm

crazyjose wrote:Imagine that poor cavemans reaction to seeing your fatbike if he was able to see it...
Don't you think that there is a certain "cave man quality" about our fat bikes?

NevB

Postby NevB » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:26 pm

gcouyant wrote:
crazyjose wrote:Imagine that poor cavemans reaction to seeing your fatbike if he was able to see it...
Don't you think that there is a certain "cave man quality" about our fat bikes?
Showing my age, but I would say there is a touch of the Leyland Brothers about fat bikes.

crazyjose

Postby crazyjose » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:33 pm

Don't you think that there is a certain "cave man quality" about our fat bikes?[/quote]

True, chunky bikes would appeal to the caveman set.

I got a few prices for wheelsets, $750 for a McGrath styled set handbuilt, or 650 imported for a Susitna set. TWE can't do them and dirtworks are yet to get back to me so I am sliding towards the
susitna's a bit more robust wheel for my skillsets. The wheelset is pretty much the only thing i have left to get along with tyres, tubes and skewers.

cheers

Ades

ozzybmx

Postby ozzybmx » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:26 pm

crazyjose wrote: I got a few prices for wheelsets, $750 for a McGrath styled set handbuilt, or 650 imported for a Susitna set. TWE can't do them and dirtworks are yet to get back to me so I am sliding towards the
susitna's a bit more robust wheel for my skillsets. The wheelset is pretty much the only thing i have left to get along with tyres, tubes and skewers.

cheers

Ades
Go for the best set you can from the start or you will be wondering on every steep pinch if the lighter set would have been better. The wheels are pretty tough as it is so look to save some weight on the wheelset where you can. Im rocking 4.8" Buds on Marge lites either end on my bike at the minuet and i can tell you they are a world apart from the Trialtech/HuDus that were on it. Awesome float and fun but nowhere near as fast as the "light" set.

ozzybmx

Postby ozzybmx » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:45 pm

Heres my 2 different sets fitted up Ades. The marge lites and buds noticably fatter :D

Trialtech 47mm rims / Hope 170 rear / Hope 135 front / DT supercomps with Husker Du tyres.
Surly Marge Lites / Hope 170 rear / Hope 135 front / DT revolutions with Surly Bud tyres.

crazyjose

Postby crazyjose » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:57 am

Hey nice ride, so you recommend the holed rim set up over a solid rim, too many choices :?

petie

Postby petie » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:54 am

gcouyant wrote: Actually upon reflection, I can fault them. Not needing any maintenance is doing my head in.
:lol: don't you hate that! I can't say I put a lot of effort into my bikes but when I do this phenomenon gives me the heebs. Feel like neglecting them properly every time :shock:

On topic:

So many fatbikes! maybe this will be the next big thing, that way they'll eventually get cheaper and I will be able to afford to add one to the stable!

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:24 pm

petie wrote:...snip.. they'll eventually get cheaper and I will be able to afford to add one to the stable!
On-One Fatty $1,356.50 plus $155 post and tax.

cray-

Postby cray- » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:53 pm

mitzikatzi wrote:
petie wrote:...snip.. they'll eventually get cheaper and I will be able to afford to add one to the stable!
On-One Fatty $1,356.50 plus $155 post and tax.
Oh stop it! I feel like I need one of these ....to sit next to the 26" mtb that I never ride.

gcouyant

Postby gcouyant » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:29 pm

Today is FATerday the First - International Fat Bike Day.

WooHoo!

crazyjose

Postby crazyjose » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:59 pm

Go for the best set you can from the start or you will be wondering on every steep pinch if the lighter set would have been better. The wheels are pretty tough as it is so look to save some weight on the wheelset where you can. Im rocking 4.8" Buds on Marge lites either end on my bike at the minuet and i can tell you they are a world apart from the Trialtech/HuDus that were on it. Awesome float and fun but nowhere near as fast as the "light" set.[/quote]

Excellent, will go for the McGrath set from Bikeman, affordable enough to allow for a pair of tyres and tubes as well. I will have to save up for coloured rims down the track if I want to go that way down the track.

Amasing all of the parts for the build, stuffed up the size for the headset and got an oversize one, will sort that out and then can assemble the forks into the frame and go from there, slowly getting there, Xmas got in the way of my wheelset though :(

cheers

Ades

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:33 pm

crazyjose wrote:

Excellent, will go for the McGrath set from Bikeman, affordable enough to allow for a pair of tyres and tubes as well. I will have to save up for coloured rims down the track if I want to go that way down the track.

Amasing all of the parts for the build, stuffed up the size for the headset and got an oversize one, will sort that out and then can assemble the forks into the frame and go from there, slowly getting there, Xmas got in the way of my wheelset though :(

cheers

Ades
That reminds me, I need to look for that headset for you :D

FatMuz

Postby FatMuz » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:17 pm

First Sandman Hoggar Ti in Australia. Flat ground and hill climbing are good, BUT... technical, loose and rocky downhill are ridiculously good. So much confidence in the front end.

Anyone want to buy a beautiful, lightly used 9:zero:7 ?

Cheers
FatMuz

NevB

Postby NevB » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:24 pm

Very nice!

I'm also close to ordering a Hoggar Ti ... just scraping together my xmas pennies!

Did the customs/import duty hurt?

Love it!

Nev

FatMuz

Postby FatMuz » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:32 am

NevB wrote:Very nice!

Did the customs/import duty hurt?

Nev
Yes they hurt. Sometimes I wake in the night in a cold sweat. Now I just ride to forget the pain.

FatMuz

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:50 pm

That Sandman is the best Fat Bike I have seen.

crazyjose

Postby crazyjose » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:16 am

That is a nice ride, the Sandman's are a really nice looking bike, sadly out of my price range :(

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:24 pm

Nice Ti FatMuz. What frame size is your 9:zero:7 ?

Recently posted mine in the bike gallery, Fat Sand Bike:

gcouyant

Postby gcouyant » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:39 pm

eldavo wrote:Image
AAaaagghhhh... That blasted spider tread pattern!

In last year's Simpson Desert race, Neil who was in my age class ran that tyre and every time I looked ahead I could see that spider imprint in the dirt - steady and straight. A strong rider who I just couldn't catch.

What rear hub is that ElDavo?

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:07 pm

At least no phobia gained George? ;)
The model is Terrain Destroyer base spec of late model (red line) Nexus 8 with rear roller drum brake and no front brake, ISO disc brake mount on fork.
He runs through it briefly at the start of this assembly vid here, with some parent-like over exaggeration.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_Pc1u0Kbww" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FatMuz

Postby FatMuz » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:09 pm

eldavo wrote:Nice Ti FatMuz. What frame size is your 9:zero:7 ?

Recently posted mine in the bike gallery, Fat Sand Bike:
I love that green... was my original choice for frame colour. Goes well with black componentry.

My 9:zero:7 is a Large.
I took it for a short ride the other day... an awesome ride, different to the Hoggar, bit still great fun.
I've had 2 queries re: selling it... if It sells... OK. If it doesn't, I might try and build it up with as wide a tyres as possible and keep it for beach riding.

FatMuz