my first trail/downhill experience

Mountainbiking central

my first trail/downhill experience

Postby jeff_o » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:06 am

Hi mates!

I've been riding road bikes for years. I had MTBs but used them mainly for commuting and travel. Last sunday, we went to Wyong just behind tree top adventure. There was a downhill MTB race going on and we did few Ks of trail/downhill ride along the easy ones. It was awesome, it was my first time and i get to ride my friend's trek fuel evo 5 dual suspension. it's amazing how the suspension really works when you ride paths like that. Unfortunately, my friend's wife had a nasty little fall but everything went great otherwise.

Now I'm tempted to get myself a dual suspension, but not sure yet if i'll really dig off-road as i'm more of a roadie. Next stop is viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37741 but are there any literature out there to give me more of a background into off road? like when to get hard tail, when to get dual suspension, what clothes to wear etc etc?

cheers!
jeff_o

by BNA » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:21 pm

BNA

Re: my first trail/downhill experience

Postby trailgumby » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:21 pm

Sounds like you rode Ourimbah MTB Park, which is home to CCMTB. Awesome place to ride. The other place to ride beofre you die in that locale is Awaba, which is 20 minutes north. Less techy than Ourimbah. Flow heaven. 8)

Which type of bike is best depends on your budget. I have both hardtail and full suspension, and with 700x23c wheels fitted my HT doubles as commuter.

I would not bother with a dually under $2.5k ... unless it's 2011 Giant Anthem X 29er on runout - an utterly awesome bike if you can get past the mug lair chrome-and-bright-blue colour scheme, which I've seen at steal prices of $2,400 on runout. An XT-equipped bike at that price is unheard-of, normally at that price you'd be lucky to get a full Deore groupset and crappy noname hydraulic brakes instead of decent Avid CR's. Below that price point the forks, shock, groupset and wheels drop off in quality markedly ... hardtails become much better value.

So if stumping up that much for a new bike is too much for your budget, go hardtail. For a hardtail, I'd recommend a 29er as the big wheels smooth out the bumps and offer slightly better traction, at the expense of being a little slower to get wound up and going. Once you get them going, though, they are fast.

Duallies are easier to ride and more comfortable, but not as fast point-to-point. The longer your ride, the more likely you are to prefer a dually for the comfort factor. On a hardtail, your legs form the suspension and you spend a lot more time out of the saddle in the attack position, which is tiring for your lower back. Duallies are more forgiving, and you don't have to be as precise with your lines in the rough, which can have its good and bad points (such as allowing you to be lazy and not develop skills as much), and over an all day ride a dually will leave you feeling much less thrashed.

However, nothing climbs or accelerates like a hardtail.

Hope you find this useful.

Depending on where you ride most, either 4" or 5" travel would be the mark to aim for. 4" on a 29er equates to 5" on a 26er. For Ourimbah, Awaba, and much of Sydney's Northern Beaches a 5" 26er is perfect.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby jeff_o » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:49 pm

hi trailG, yes that's helpful thank you!

yeah i think it's the ourimbah state park. awesome place... 4wd, dirtbikes and mtbs. i've been searching for a trail map for that park but can only find this: http://www.bonzle.com/c/a?a=p&p=56894&cmd=sp is there a trail map available in the internet?

Also, we're mainly based in bankstown or ryde area. are there any other good MTB trail places that's nearer to me?
jeff_o

Postby trailgumby » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:24 pm

PM sent 8)
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

trailgumby

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:10 pm

Another conversion to the dirty side 8)
As usual, Gumby has the story set.
I picked up a 2011 TranceX2 for a tad under $2k, brilliant bit of kit once I unlearnt many of my hardtail skills. (Yes, I can bunnyhop the duallie now.)
I did look at the Anthem 29er right next to it for ~$120 more but a sit test revealed a huge shortcoming in leg length.

I do miss me hardtail at times tho'.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby jeff_o » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:19 am

i probably am not an expert to realize what is a good geometry for me.... so i'll start with the universal rule... get something decent and inexpensive as a starter bike :)
jeff_o

Postby trailgumby » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:12 am

That's why buying new from a local bike shop for your first bike is a good move, instead of going second hand. You can use their expertise to get frame sizing and the fit of the bike to your body done right.

KOM2 at Crows Nest is an easy drive from Ryde and is good with this stuff. Ask for Brad, tell him John sent you.

trailgumby

Postby jeff_o » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:50 pm

hey trailgumby... we did went to LCNP today! it was a great ride.

we entered via vimiera road, we saw a lot of riders actually going and coming back.

inside the trail we just followed our instincts and sometimes asked for directions and we ended up at north epping kurrajong st/boundary rd.

there were 7 of us and we were riding at a slow pace. the cemented portion were all downhill but the off road portion was great with just the right amount of bump and rocks for beginners.

hopefully we get to explore some of the other paths next weekend :D we got so hungry after the ride lol.
jeff_o

Postby trailgumby » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:01 pm

It's probably another 4-6 weeks before Imy collarbone is good to ride off-road again, but if you're interested would be happy to show you around my local, Manly Dam.

trailgumby

Postby jeff_o » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:30 pm

trailgumby wrote:It's probably another 4-6 weeks before Imy collarbone is good to ride off-road again, but if you're interested would be happy to show you around my local, Manly Dam.

thanks but i think we'll try novice tracks in our area first before taking on your offer. get well soon. speedy recovery for you though :)
jeff_o

Postby ghostpoet » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:24 pm

Uuum... for what my few cents is worth, I think the money you may spend on a good quality, good value dually, i.e.a Giant Trance or similar will pay good dividends. More fun and therefore more time on the bike have made me a convert. I think it is a bit of a false economy to spend, say, $1500 on a decent hardtail and then find yourself upgrading a year later to a $2000+ dually. Time on the hardtail will make you a better technical rider though, I ride like Mr Plough now... :D
ghostpoet

Postby trailgumby » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:34 pm

jeff_o wrote:
trailgumby wrote:It's probably another 4-6 weeks before Imy collarbone is good to ride off-road again, but if you're interested would be happy to show you around my local, Manly Dam.

thanks but i think we'll try novice tracks in our area first before taking on your offer. get well soon. speedy recovery for you though :)

No problem. I tend to insist on new riders walking the tricky bits first time around anyhoo ;)

I will probably ride Terrey Hills for a coupla weekends first anyway just to get some kilometres in the legs. They're very beginner friendly, if that sounds more like your thang I'm happy to have you tag along. Some spectacular views from a few points on the trail.

Actually, I'd probably be the one tagging along... after 4 weeks off and another 2-4 to go, my fitness and 41 minute lap times around the Dam will be a fond memory :oops:

trailgumby

Return to MTB