Carbon Hardtail 29'ers?

Mountainbiking central

Carbon Hardtail 29'ers?

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:30 pm

Give me some ideas...can't get a Giant in XL,can't get a Scott as they won't have stock till next year, Caynon only do alloy, Cannondale don't seem to do anything in XL in my price range (under 2000 euros)...2600 euros is their bottom end lefty model...etc etc.Focus don't seem to have one or have one in stock (can't remember).
Carbon...because have broken every alloy mtb I have ever owned...also for the first 4 months it will be solely for cyclocross so no hard hits,after that it will be a race only bike as I am very happy with my steel 14kg solid component play bike in 26 inch.
BUT...if I really can't get a carbon then I will think of alloy.
toolonglegs

by BNA » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:45 am

BNA

Re: Carbon Hardtail 29'ers?

Postby Jean » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:45 am

Lapierre? You are in France after all. Dunno about price though.

http://www.lapierre-bikes.co.uk/mtb/cross-country-marathon/pro-race-29er
Jean

Postby DaveOZ » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:05 am

How easy is it to sling a MTB frame over your shoulder? :D
DaveOZ

Postby sherlock » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:08 am

http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2012/Mo ... Elite.aspx - USD$2799, which is just over EUR 2000.
sherlock

Postby trailgumby » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:24 am

Maybe buy a frame and fork and build up from components sourced cheaply?

Yeti Big Top has alloy front, carbon rear triangle. I really liked the Spot Rocker in a steel frame, with a multispeed transmission it would have been an awesome race bike.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Carbon Hardtail 29'ers?

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:04 pm

Liked the look of the felt but they don't import a 29er into France !.
Also BMC do one in alloy but only up to L and with a 54cm seat tube that ain't going to happen.
I am sure the Santa Cruz is a beauty but also sure it is out of my price range.
Lapierre may be a go...if not ...I think I will give up the idea of cx or just have a hack around on my OnOne...grr.
toolonglegs

Carbon Hardtail 29'ers?

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:25 pm

Update...ordered a lapierre alloy cx frame... No go on 29ers anywhere...frame takes press fit bearings so I can run my compact ultegras and have ordered stronglight 46/38 rings...will run duraace 7800 for everything else...just need to find some canti brakes.
Finally!.
toolonglegs

Postby drubie » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:55 pm

uh, wut?

I thought you busted every aluminium bike you ever rode?

Plenty to choose from in canti brakes at the moment - from the OK dia-compe / tektro to the ridiculous pauls / TRP EuroX.

Personally, I've always wanted a set of magnesium TRP Eurox - not so much for braking, just for looking at and fondling :P
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.
drubie

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:10 pm

drubie wrote:I thought you busted every aluminium bike you ever rode?

I know I know...but I looked everywhere for a carbon 29'er in my size.Not possible...29'ers just haven't caught on here yet.
So I can build up a CX bike for about 800 euros I think...how hard can racing on grass and mud be on a bike :lol: .
toolonglegs

Postby jbchybridrider » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:01 pm

G,day I dont mean to throw to much sauce on the pie but there is another way to do it, just to confuse you :lol:

I could not buy the bike I wanted so built my own wanting a CX bike, roadbike and MTB with just a change of tyres. The pic is CX form though I think bar ends are not allowed for racing.

It has a 26er frame with 29er wheels 35c CX tyres, 50-34 compact crank with ultegra derailler "not pictured" and CX forks and is darn fast even on a day out with roadies with 23mm slicks, sure gets there attention and is a strong bike offroad.

I just wanted to show there plenty 26er carbon frames from Taiwan and they can take 29er wheels. Mine is small in size but plenty to choose from.

"oh" and a pic of another frame that was to big for me and now sold. Sorry if I'm confusing you more :mrgreen:
jbchybridrider

Postby drubie » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:09 pm

Too late now for TLL, but my (now dismantled) monstercrosser - a biiiiiig 26" Norco alloy frame, but running 700c wheels and drops:

The only thing to be careful of is that the frames aren't meant to run long roadie stems, so you end up with a short stem (and resulting twitchy steering). Alloy 26" hard tails with no disk mounts were being given away at one point there...

Of course, I needed a mountain bike so I pulled all those bits off:
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.
drubie

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:09 am

jbchybridrider wrote:I just wanted to show there plenty 26er carbon frames from Taiwan and they can take 29er wheels. Mine is small in size but plenty to choose from.

That looks like a nice rig!...too late now (but I will still be buying a 29er next year sometime)...what is the clearance like around the rear wheel?...around this part of the world you need a huge amount of mud clearance.

Drubie that Norco does look rather large :lol: .
toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:00 am

Back to the cyclocross thread....sorry :lol:
Ps...thanks drubie for the brake recommendation.
toolonglegs

Postby jbchybridrider » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:37 pm

That Lapierre looks a pretty spectacular start to a build so just to answer the question there's 10mm clearance at the nearest point at the side nobby's which is OK though I could go down to 32-30c for more clearance.

I guess there's pro's and con's doing it this way or proper 29er, imagine the clearance on one of those with a CX tyre and it would need it just for good speed on faster course's.
The best advantage of my way is light weight at 8.1kg it's easy to grab the top tube in the hand and lift over obstacles.

A cyclocross bike is just the correct way with no mucking around cant go wrong there.
I can fit a 40c full coverage nobby it's tight though. A pic says a thousand words.

jbchybridrider

Carbon Hardtail 29'ers?

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:10 pm

Yeah in oz you could get away with that clearance ... No way would 10mm be enough here...my Mtb has huge amount of clearance with skinny little steel tubes but still gets hung up on mud!...hopefully the cx rig will have plenty of clearance ...I have my wheels set up tubeless with Michelin 30mm mud tires to start with,but I will have a set of faster tyres mounted on other wheels.hopefully the tubeless set up works!.
How did you get it down to 8.1kgs!!!...that is impressive.
toolonglegs

Postby jbchybridrider » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:17 pm

Well seeing as I built it around 18 months ago remembering all components weight is hard on my old brain. The main thing is the frame at only 1030grams and using a rigid carbon fork also using carbon seat and post, bars, stem and a road crank, wheels around 1700grams using ultremo tyres "light as they come" all adds up to light weight and many other components I was very weight weenyish with.

I took it to the LBS to weigh and was actually disappointed it was'nt in the high 7's. I think if the barends were off and a high end set of brakes were on "only has cheapys" it would have been under 8kg's but now I have to add a front derailler. Just put that on.
I've got a half dozen other bikes covering all disciplines but this is the best allround bike and pretty kickass I think. Thats why I call it a hybrid now try finding a hybrid bike under 12kg.

Come to think of it I dont ever remember being past by someone on the many rough bike paths that crisscross adelaide. I never thought of it when building it that a CX bike would do the same job but this is one of a kind I guess.
jbchybridrider

Return to MTB