Post Your Ride

xcamx

Re: Post Your Ride

Postby xcamx » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:08 pm

Just picked up my first serious mtb, looking forward to hitting some trails.
GT Zaskar Expert Carbon

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:22 pm

Ooh that is schmick. Changing the tyres before you hit the trails or are your trails really smooth? :)
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

xcamx

Postby xcamx » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:31 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Ooh that is schmick. Changing the tyres before you hit the trails or are your trails really smooth? :)
Haha yes will need new tyres! The bloke I bought it off used it mainly for commuting.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:46 am

my new whip

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:01 pm

What happened to the Cannondale?

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:49 pm

eldavo wrote:What happened to the Cannondale?
One in one out! Went to a student who was also a cannondale fan.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:53 pm

Wow I respect that philosophy :D Well done. Is this one of the Blue Pigs that seem to be like new builds just not popular going cheap, or your own build?

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:13 pm

eldavo wrote:Wow I respect that philosophy :D Well done. Is this one of the Blue Pigs that seem to be like new builds just not popular going cheap, or your own build?
Definitely like new, built up but with young kids didn't have anytime to really ride and decided they wanted to do a different style of mrb riding.

The proceeds from the cannondale paid for a big chunk of it.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:13 pm

Hey that previous owner sounds like you =P Looks nice, I've always been tempted seeing one or two of them around built nicely and unused.

I've only started exploring urban offroad on bicycle since getting this fat-MTB thanks to the super knobs and short 22/42 gearing that obliged me to find the steepest offroad around to practice climbing. The traction of low pressure 3-6psi tubeless and huge knobs is cheating on a grand scale compared to traditional MTB.

I ride nature strips to save the knobs and get around between bush reserves or the beach, finding some but steep bulging spongy buffalo grass that is several decades old well manicured and never compacted is the most surprising energy thief! Climbing sand or loose dirt/mulch at least lets the wheel spin and you can get traction and carry on. Even greater cheating is being able to ride from the nature strip straight onto the beach, and back off again, no stopping for pressure changes now. Tubeless works so well, running 6psi and it bleeding off to 3psi sealing double gees is no sweat.

I swapped this MTB build/show setup from Crazy Bob to Kenda Small Block 8 (35psi) and took the tyres/bike for a local test single trail, I learnt the track routes allow sandy bits to be downhill, so need to loop around, made me quickly appreciate the fat-MTB and it's cheat-factor =D

chriso_29er

Postby chriso_29er » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:01 pm

My two rides

97 Mongoose Rockadile SX, My retro bike path/rail trail cruiser.

And my Scott scale 960

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:22 pm

How are you liking the Thudbuster on that beast, eldavo? I've got one on my SS rigid and may swap it on to my fat bike (when that arrives from the dealer). I thought the TD might have been overkill on top of the balloons - what are your thoughts?

Nice looking ride and I love the story you're telling. That's exactly what I plan to do with my new steed: urban exploration.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Jean

Postby Jean » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:50 pm

Not new (it had its own build thread here a few years ago), but its been dormant for a quite a while. I took it out for a rebirth this morning, so a posting seemed in order.

On-One Inbred 29er, with 2x10 XT & Epicon fork.

TDC

Postby TDC » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:42 pm

New Ride.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:31 pm

love those frames, a beaut.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:28 am

Not my pic yet, but got this a couple weeks ago off FB BM:

I need to remedy the soft Elixir 3 rear brake. I put some flat pedals on it for quick, good cheap fun with the kids and trail use in near future.

Jim

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:08 pm

Beautiful paint job. :)
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:10 pm

TDC wrote:New Ride.

Oh Nice, nice, nice!!!
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

singlespeedscott

Post Your Ride

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:58 pm

+++1. Love those early 90's Ritchey paint jobs. Is that the 650b model?

TDC

Postby TDC » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:26 pm

No, it's the 2014 P team 26". Small frame, so i think it gives nice proportions. Really sweet to ride. Kind of old school handling with the short top tube and steep head angle. Intense and engaging on the technical stuff, and climbs like a mountain goat. Ultimately I would like a 650B, but I had all the gear to build the 26. 10.7 kg without pedals and cages.

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:14 am

Yeah it's gorgeos! On my list of bikes I'd like to buy.
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:12 pm

TDC wrote:No, it's the 2014 P team 26". Small frame, so i think it gives nice proportions. Really sweet to ride. Kind of old school handling with the short top tube and steep head angle. Intense and engaging on the technical stuff, and climbs like a mountain goat. Ultimately I would like a 650B, but I had all the gear to build the 26. 10.7 kg without pedals and cages.
There's nothing like hitting some techy stuff on an old school XC race bike with 26" wheels :shock: .

I know why I went for 29er's 15 years ago. At the end of a 24hr race the comfort and easy going nature of the big wheels helps to compensate for a tired body and mind

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:40 pm

Bit of a change from an old Giant Reign...

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:34 am

A refresher from a few pages & couple of years back....
Duck! wrote:My toy:

Very custom spec. 2012 Anthem X1 26er frame, Shimano Deore XT wheelset & M666 SLX IceTech brakes, 2011 Shimano SLX 3x10 crank & derailleurs, 2013 XT I-spec shifters & Rock Shox Reba fork, and a rather assorted finishing kit thanks to another forum.

Ranges between 11.4 & 11.6kg, depending on which tyres are on.
And I added this one to stable almost a year ago but never got around to taking pics....

2011 Anthem X Advanced SL 1 - one of the highest-grade MTB frames Giant ever made. Pretty well stock except for tyres when I got it - M770-10 XT groupset inc. wheelset, Giant alloy bar/stem/seatpost, Fizik Tundra saddle, Fox F100 RLC fork & RP23 rear shock - it's come under the subtle upgrade treatment, swapping the better bits off the old bike; FSA carbon bar & stem, Control Tech carbon seatpost, Fizik Gobi saddle, SLX IceTech brakes inc. rotors + M780 XT I-Spec direct-mount shifters, and currently trialling a SLX Shadow+ clutched derailleur salvaged & resurrected from a crash repair job at work. Not sure I can tolerate the heavy shifting enough to consider it a worthwhile upgrade, but I'll tweak the clutch tension to see if I can find a better balance. I have a set of carbon rims to go in it, once I can scrounge the funds for a pair of XTR hubs to build into them, also want to do a full XTR groupset on it for my "significant birthday" next year.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:31 am

Duck! wrote:...currently trialling a SLX Shadow+ clutched derailleur salvaged & resurrected from a crash repair job at work. Not sure I can tolerate the heavy shifting enough to consider it a worthwhile upgrade, but I'll tweak the clutch tension to see if I can find a better balance
That's odd. Running an Anthem 29er (2015 frame) and a steel XC hardtail with a XT and Zee clutched 10spd derailleurs and XTR shifters and don't really notice a 'heavy' shift on either bike. Though both are pretty much full length housings whereas the old Anthems were piecemeal (and the routing wasn't/isn't great)...
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:47 pm

I found they felt heavy by comparison too, but after awhhile I found I just adapted and the sensation dropped away.

The front derailleur was the worst. An XT shifter matched with an X-7 direct mount FD is not a match made in singletrack heaven; especially so when the OEM supplied Jagwire cabling filled with trail crud. Substituting an XT derailleur, even with the tight cable bolt clearance with the frame, is dramatically better; my thumb no longer protests on longer rides.

Clutch derailleurs are the bomb. I can count the number of dropped chains in the last 2 years on my 2x10 setup on the knuckles of one finger. And no more chainslap. I wish Shimano made them for road bikes.