Post Your Ride

KristianJ

Re: Post Your Ride

Postby KristianJ » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:53 pm

Picked this up for a couple of hundred early last week...2011 Merida MATTS TFS 300-D. Almost all stock (Deore LX rear, Alivio front derailleur, Alivio everything else, Rock Shox Dart 3 fork), and I switched the Shimano M545 pedals on my old Giant Talon. Needed new rear brake pads, but it was all pretty well maintained otherwise.

Only downside is the handlebar width (620mm), and I'm exploring upgrade options, along with a stem if necessary and some lock grips. But I'm pretty happy with everything else.

thatmdee

Postby thatmdee » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:27 pm

My first mountain / trail bike -- 2019 Stumpjumper Comp Carbon 27.5"... I'm super paranoid about scratches, chips, etc -- which is a bit crazy for a mountain bike. The LBS installed the All Mountain frame protection kit. I'm wondering if this will be enough to protect the frame, or if people have other recommendations?

There is a plastic strip underneath the down tube, but I don't believe this was part of the All Mountain kit -- and possibly was already on the frame. I'm not sure how well it will work.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:00 pm

Frameskin. I've done all our bikes.
He has a 2019 Stumpjumper set, but I think it's the 29". No harm in asking.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

chriso_29er

Postby chriso_29er » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:29 pm

This is my 2018 Giant Trance.
Had it a couple of months so far, loving it as an all round trail bike.
Not noticeably slower than my hardtail on the flats or uphill, but in a league of its own once pointed down.

https://youtu.be/1SaMNwRv0Vo

thatmdee

Postby thatmdee » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:13 pm

ValleyForge wrote:Frameskin. I've done all our bikes.
He has a 2019 Stumpjumper set, but I think it's the 29". No harm in asking.
Sweet, thanks.. I've seen a few people recommend that now.. and noticed it was 29" kit. I'll have to ask and see if it will work on the 27.5".

I'm wondering if, for now, I grab something cheap elsewhere and just fill in the gaps that the All Mountain Style kit didn't cover

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:37 pm

thatmdee wrote:I'm wondering if, for now, I grab something cheap elsewhere and just fill in the gaps that the All Mountain Style kit didn't cover
I'd say it's not worth the effort. Anything decently protective is a bugger to remove.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:34 pm

So far I've only had one proper off road ride on my new baby but it's been an amazingly different experience going from a 15 year old cheap hard tail to a modern trail bike with air suspension!
This is Merida's entry level spec 140mm "all mountain" bike, the One Forty 400.

And I got the LBS to put on some frame protection to try and keep it looking good for as long as possible....and then I crashed hard :D But the bike was fine!
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

caneye

Postby caneye » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:39 am

i like the colour! very different from anything out there today.

what's the size of the rear cassette? 46?

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:49 am

Mububban wrote:So far I've only had one proper off road ride on my new baby but it's been an amazingly different experience going from a 15 year old cheap hard tail to a modern trail bike with air suspension!
This is Merida's entry level spec 140mm "all mountain" bike, the One Forty 400.

Mmm. Modern trail bikes are fun aren’t they! I missed mine a bit a couple of days ago but had a blast on a 25yo hardtail on some tame trails. Wanted to bring the good bike on a caravan holiday and buy didn’t want to have it in an unsecured rack out in the dust.
Last edited by bychosis on Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:49 pm

caneye wrote:i like the colour! very different from anything out there today.

what's the size of the rear cassette? 46?
The colour is listed as Copper, but I call it Fancy Brown :mrgreen: It's less glossy than polished copper (which I love the look of) in real life, but I still like it. And it hides the Kalamunda dust perfectly.

It's got an 11-46 with a 32t crank. I'm used to a compact crank and 11-32 on my road bike, and the gearing on this bike feels very similar ie I did a long steady slippery gravel climb and didn't feel like I was running out of gears, and was able to spin my way up with no problems. If I were to run out of gears on either bike, I'd probably be doing something beyond my physical limits anyway!

Specs are here, for $2200 it ticks all the boxes I wanted to keep N+1 at bay for a good long while....famous last words! :
http://www.merida.com.au/en_au/bikes/mt ... 11747.html
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:57 pm

Pretty happy so far with new bike

Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

chriso_29er

Postby chriso_29er » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:51 pm

Very nice!