PD-A530 pedals for a MTB?

Double-Gee

PD-A530 pedals for a MTB?

Postby Double-Gee » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:36 am

I've asked this question within other threads but I haven't managed to land an answer yet. Time for a thread of it's own I think.

I've been considering these pedals to replace the original pedals on my Boulder. I've asked here previously as the A530 seems to be mainly aimed at a road/commuter/tourer market - "Ideal for recumbents, commuters and recreational cyclists. the SPD compatible step-in system flips over to a concave, stable pedaling platform". As these pedals are fairly new, I have not seen many reviews at all.

SPDs were on my road bike briefly until I changed to road shoes/cleats. I have MTB shoes and would like to use them with some platform/cleat pedals. I'm a long way from being a serious MTBer but am aware of the benefit of cleats. I'd also like the platforms for the cruisy casual ride witht he wife.

Any ideas, comments, thoughts, etc on the PD-A530 pedals for MTB'ing would be appreciated.
Road - '09 Cervelo S1 | '07 Vivente Lugano | Late 90's Giant Kronos, Dirt - '08 Orbea Sherpa

alchemist

Postby alchemist » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:14 am

Fine for cruising around, but on more difficult tracks they'd be annoying as you'd be always trying to flip the pedals around to clip in which wont be as easy on a rough surface compared to smooth road.

In the SPD range a pedal like the M424 is probably better for this.

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:04 am

I use the equivalent Wellgo pedals and find them pretty handy.
Because I'm still a relatively gentle off-roader, I find that I prefer to keep my feet free on the tougher bits and clip in on the easy bits. It is / can be a bit tricky rotating the platforms to clip in, but it's never caused me any grief (touch wood).
You'll probably feel the clips through 'non-bike' shoes, but it's not enough for me to worry about which side of the pedal I'm using.
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: PD-A530 pedals for a MTB?

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:10 pm

Shimano wrote: Ideal for recumbents, commuters and recreational cyclists. the SPD compatible step-in system flips over to a concave, stable pedaling platform
Sounds like marketing crap from someone who has never ridden a 'bent, but I digress ......

I have a set of the PD-M545 pedals which you are welcome to try out. UMP2K has them at the moment, but it won't be hard to get them back.

Personally, I would really hate only having the clips on one side.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

uMP2k

Re: PD-A530 pedals for a MTB?

Postby uMP2k » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:28 pm

Kalgrm wrote:
Shimano wrote: Ideal for recumbents, commuters and recreational cyclists. the SPD compatible step-in system flips over to a concave, stable pedaling platform
Sounds like marketing crap from someone who has never ridden a 'bent, but I digress ......

I have a set of the PD-M545 pedals which you are welcome to try out. UMP2K has them at the moment, but it won't be hard to get them back.

Personally, I would really hate only having the clips on one side.

Cheers,
Graeme
If you do want to give them a go and it is okay with Graeme (as it seems to be) let me know and I maybe we can cut out the middle man :D

Stephen

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:47 pm

Julia has a set of Shimano M520 SPD clipless on her and whilst I haven't exactly done too many kms in them they seem okay.

Have you considered Crank Brother's pedals? They seem to get a good wrap.

Andrew

Double-Gee

Postby Double-Gee » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:08 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys. :D :D :D

alchemist Thanks for the tip. I'm not sure which way the A530s would 'hang' and how much flipping they might need. I've read up on the 424s and have heard that the resin cages aren't the best?

LuckyPierre What model Wellgos do you have? I haven't really looked at other brands.

Kalgrm The M545s sound good. I read about them a while ago but wasn't sure how they would be like for clipping in? Only one way to find out.....

uMP2k If Graeme is happy we can organise something. I'll shoot you a PM after this post.

Aushiker The M520s have no platform so aren't quite what I'm after. I've heard good stuff about Crank Brothers as well, but for no real reason have only been looking at Shimanos. I have MT40 shoes so guess I have had my blinkers on and looking only at Shimano pedals.

For MTBing, would a 'multiple release mode' cleat be preferred over a 'single release mode' cleat? I've only had the one 'clipped in, falling over' incident on the road bike, and I can picture it being a lot more likely to happen on the MTB.
Road - '09 Cervelo S1 | '07 Vivente Lugano | Late 90's Giant Kronos, Dirt - '08 Orbea Sherpa

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:15 am

Double-Gee wrote:Aushiker The M520s have no platform so aren't quite what I'm after.
The M520 does come with a platform which is removable. It clips in like a shoe does.

Andrew

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:00 am

Double-Gee wrote:For MTBing, would a 'multiple release mode' cleat be preferred over a 'single release mode' cleat? I've only had the one 'clipped in, falling over' incident on the road bike, and I can picture it being a lot more likely to happen on the MTB.
I prefer single release now - it's still real easy to get out but you're less likely to do accidentally.

You probably want an M324 pedal by the way, I used these on my MTB for months and once the initial stiffness of the pedal spindle goes so they spin freely then they're really easy to get the right side of every time. The platform side is a regular alloy cage.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:50 am

Double-Gee wrote:For MTBing, would a 'multiple release mode' cleat be preferred over a 'single release mode' cleat? I've only had the one 'clipped in, falling over' incident on the road bike, and I can picture it being a lot more likely to happen on the MTB.
I won't harp on about it because you're set on running a compromise pedal, but Crank Bros. Eggbeaters do away with these questions. They have four entry points, shed mud really well (not that I've ridden in mud here in WA) and release very easily only when required. Those pedals of mine you're about to try never made it back on my bikes after I tried Eggbeaters .....

Surprisingly enough, I'm more likely to put my foot down if I'm not clipped into pedals when off road. I just don't feel safe enough when I'm not completely connected to my bike. However, when I do need to put my foot on the ground, I never have a problem with release - it happens before I even think about the actions required.

Do you realise it only takes a minute to change pedals? You could run real MTB pedals off road and swap them for platforms when you want to ride with the wife. No compromise needed.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Hawkeye

Postby Hawkeye » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:32 pm

[quote="Kalgrm I just don't feel safe enough when I'm not completely connected to my bike. However, when I do need to put my foot on the ground, I never have a problem with release - it happens before I even think about the actions required.

Do you realise it only takes a minute to change pedals? You could run real MTB pedals off road and swap them for platforms when you want to ride with the wife. No compromise needed.[/quote]

+1.

Double-Gee

Postby Double-Gee » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:20 am

Kalgrm wrote:I won't harp on about it because you're set on running a compromise pedal, but Crank Bros. Eggbeaters do away with these questions.
The compromise pedal is my preferred option right now, but I am taking all these options in and considering them.
Kalgrm wrote:Those pedals of mine you're about to try never made it back on my bikes after I tried Eggbeaters .....
When uMP2k answers the PM I sent him several days ago, I can see about trying said pedals.
Kalgrm wrote:Do you realise it only takes a minute to change pedals? You could run real MTB pedals off road and swap them for platforms when you want to ride with the wife. No compromise needed.
I have changed a few pedals and do know how easy it is, but it is not something that I want to have to do all the time. :(

I dug out my old SPD road pedals (PD-A515 ) and put them on the Boulder tonight in preparation for tomorrows ride. I know that they are road pedals, but at least I am clipped in and it will do for starters.

Thanks once again for all the comments.