Ideal MTB (See requirements)

Mountainbiking central

Ideal MTB (See requirements)

Postby kunalraiker » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:31 am

Seasoned MTBers!

I wanted to do some research on the different MTB bikes available, so many brands, so many types (really what is 29er :oops: )

Anyway, would like your input on what you think would be the ideal bike that suits the note:

1. Extremely Stylish ( something that makes the other MTBers go Say What)
2. Dual hydraulic Suspension
3. Hydraulic Disc brakes
4. Price---- hahaha this is a funny one ( Lets just say around $1000.00 but not limited to) I know I might have put off some people with the price here and will dismiss it straightaway, but as I said, I want opinions and what you think would fall somewhere around that price might even exceed it by another 1000.00 depending on what you think it is!.

PS- No second hand, has to be new.
Also, Online purchase prices welcome.
kunalraiker

by BNA » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:52 am

BNA

Re: Ideal MTB (See requirements)

Postby ozdavo » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:52 am

What do you want the bike for? To look good when going to the shop for milk? Or to ride?
If its the latter, forget your list and explain your type of riding and terrain and what you want from a bike.
Eg: XC race weapon that climbs like a billy goat, or maybe full DH rig that will never be pedaled up hill and can handle 2m drop offs... Or something in between.
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area
ozdavo

Postby Mugglechops » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:58 am

A Giant Trance X3 is about the cheapest you can go for a dually and still have a decent bike.

It will do it all. For your price range nothing will make other mtber's go WF.

For that you need a lot more money and one of these :D

Mugglechops

Postby alchemist » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:13 am

Mugglechops wrote:It will do it all. For your price range nothing will make other mtber's go WF.

I think you meant one of these... ;)

alchemist

Postby Mugglechops » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:41 am

alchemist wrote:
Mugglechops wrote:It will do it all. For your price range nothing will make other mtber's go WF.

I meant and one of those :D
Mugglechops

Postby kunalraiker » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:56 am

ozdavo wrote:What do you want the bike for? To look good when going to the shop for milk? Or to ride?
If its the latter, forget your list and explain your type of riding and terrain and what you want from a bike.
Eg: XC race weapon that climbs like a billy goat, or maybe full DH rig that will never be pedaled up hill and can handle 2m drop offs... Or something in between.

The bike will be predominantly used to ride on a daily basic along the river tracks Maribyrnong River.
Apart from that it will also be used on weekends to ride on medium difficulty tracks at Lysterfield.
Also will be taken on road trips to be used to be riden on walking and bike tracks.

Does that answer your question ?
kunalraiker

Postby kunalraiker » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:59 am

Mugglechops wrote:A Giant Trance X3 is about the cheapest you can go for a dually and still have a decent bike.

No offence, but this is not what I meant, I need something with more oomph, and frankly the bronze colour is all wrong, not even the right shade.... :roll:

I'am aware of the Trance X3, just not sure when we can do any better, there are way too many trance's out there and not really clear as to what the differences are.
Also what about its Anthem Models.
kunalraiker

Postby kunalraiker » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:00 am

alchemist wrote:

The pre-requisites state it need to be a dually.......hmmm don't think that black bike in the picture is one.
kunalraiker

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:34 am

Nothing wrong witrh the TranceX line TYVM! I'm not sure about the poo brown livery of the Niner pictured :?

The Anthem is a slightly lighter, shorter travel rig built on the same platform as all Giant Duallies.

If you want an off the floor bike to get WT? looks, talk to damhooligan about custom paint.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mugglechops » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:40 pm

kunalraiker wrote:
Mugglechops wrote:A Giant Trance X3 is about the cheapest you can go for a dually and still have a decent bike.

No offence, but this is not what I meant, I need something with more oomph, and frankly the bronze colour is all wrong, not even the right shade.... :roll:

I'am aware of the Trance X3, just not sure when we can do any better, there are way too many trance's out there and not really clear as to what the differences are.

You do know that there is probably less than 10 Niner WFO's in aus and probably no others with a Hammersmidt.

You can't get more Say What than that :D Even if the colours crap.

And the :wink: smiley probably means he is joking, but I am not sure :wink:
Mugglechops

Postby kunalraiker » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:56 pm

Mugglechops wrote:
kunalraiker wrote:

You do know that there is probably less than 10 Niner WFO's in aus and probably no others with a Hammersmidt.

You can't get more WT? than that :D Even if the colours crap.

And the :wink: smiley probably means he is joking, but I am not sure :wink:

Hmmmmm..........ok, if that is what entices your senses (pedal holder things i.e) I think we can move on here .

What about looking at it from another angle, All bike manufacturers use other third party parts right ?
Its the frame it is basically their own, therefore which bike manufacturers give you the best parts for your buck, if that makes sense ?
kunalraiker

Postby ozdavo » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:27 pm

Generally bikes will be spec'ed with either Shimano or SRAM drivetrain, but the rest of the components are often in-house brands of the manufacturer.

Have a look at BikeExchange and compare :

FS, $1k - 2.5k

FS 29ers, $1k - 2.5k

ps a 29er has larger wheels than a "normal" MTB. The name comes from the approx total wheel height (diameter) including tyre of 29 inch, similar to how normal MTB wheels are said to be 26 inch.
29er wheels are actually 700c size, the same as std Road bikes.

...Or buy a Carbon Frame from China and build your own bike
...You'll get your WT factor :wink:
http://www.karbona.com/pro-b-2-7.htm#
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area
ozdavo

Postby kunalraiker » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:49 pm

Ok wow there are heaps on bikes exchange, Kona ,Avanti Scott and more, makes it even more confusing 8)
kunalraiker

Postby kunalraiker » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:14 am

Found some more...Scott, Marin.

Not sure really where to start from.
kunalraiker

Postby bychosis » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:28 am

off to the local bike shop then... experience MTBers can chat to you in person to find out what you need.

I'm not sure the list of characteristics is the best way to start out buying an MTB. MTB are not known for being stylish first especially those around $1000. Dual suspension is good, but you'll get a much nicer bike for that money in a hardtail - front suspension only. Something that makes MTBers get excited is likely to cost in the region of $3000minimum and won't be a Giant, they are like Toyota - well built, well spec'd but everyone has one.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby silentbutdeadly » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:30 am

Whack a Deore XT groupset and a Rockshox Recon fork on this thing and you'll have a duallie for a grand and other bikers going Say What

Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle
silentbutdeadly

Postby clackers » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:37 am

kunalraiker wrote:
1. Extremely Stylish ( something that makes the other MTBers go WT?)
2. Dual hydraulic Suspension
3. Hydraulic Disc brakes
4. Price---- hahaha this is a funny one ( Lets just say around $1000.00 but not limited to)

The budget's a concern for those features, Kunalraiker.

In the MTB world, you might pay $2500 for forks. Not just lighter or more aesthetically pleasing ones, but ones that might save you from a broken collarbone downhill.

But you seem to only want to ride trails ... dropping the dually requirement would get you closer to your price. You could even go cable discs.
Last edited by clackers on Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
clackers

Postby clackers » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:40 am

silentbutdeadly wrote:Whack a Deore XT groupset and a Rockshox Recon fork on this thing and you'll have a duallie for a grand and other bikers going WT?

You're an evil man, SBD! :-D
clackers

Postby drubie » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:27 pm

clackers wrote:You're an evil man, SBD! :-D

Evil is right - you'd never get a Recon to fit that frame cos it doesn't have the right head tube size :mrgreen:

However, if you did go to the trouble of fitting one, I'd be staring at you and the bike for a l-o-o-o-o-o-o-n-g time. Probably scratching my chin, noise-lessly wording "what the..."
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.
drubie

Postby uglybob » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:37 pm

a head-turning dualie for $1k? brand new? :|
uglybob

Postby trailgumby » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:10 pm

uglybob wrote:a head-turning dualie for $1k? brand new? :|

Indeed. :|

Budget for a decent and capable dually brand with basic (that is, functional and reliable but heavy) components new starts at $2k if you scrounge runouts on last year models.

If this $1k is a hard limit, I would then seek to clarify what is meant by head-turning. Is it while you are riding? Hmmm, might be difficult. If, on the other hand, it's your own head after you've hit the deck and someone is putting you in the recovery position while emergency services is on the way, then that is achieved much more cheaply. ;) Cheap, light, strong: choose any two.

if you want a dually that fits most of the above requirements (including the head-turning WT? requirement) and has mostly XTR components I have a Cannondale that I *might* consider letting go for around $900. People who don't appreciate quality need not apply. It isn't new, naturally, for that price but is in outstanding condition and hasn't had much use. Includes carbon bars, tubeless tyre conversion and full-length cable housing for reliability. Will post a photo tonight if there is interest. Was my son's bike until he outgrew it. Medium frame size (he now rides my old bike, a Large).
trailgumby

Postby Kenzo » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:40 pm

What sorts of bikes are your mates riding?
If you want them to turn their head to your bike, it probably should be more interesting / better than their bike...

However if they all know your budget and you manage to stretch to a Trance X3 or X2, then their heads will turn anyway... 'cause it is still better than they would have expected considering your lofty goal and your meagre budget to achieve it.
Kenzo

Postby silentbutdeadly » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:14 pm

drubie wrote:

Evil is right - you'd never get a Recon to fit that frame cos it doesn't have the right head tube size :mrgreen:

However, if you did go to the trouble of fitting one, I'd be staring at you and the bike for a l-o-o-o-o-o-o-n-g time. Probably scratching my chin, noise-lessly wording "what the..."

With a decent hammer and a welder from SupercheapAuto I could get a Recon on the BSO...

But if you want a dual suspension bike for a grand that makes all who see it drop their jaws in awe AND you want it to move? That might be a bridge too far. I do believe, Sir, that you might be taking the mickey...
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle
silentbutdeadly

Postby Mugglechops » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:25 pm

silentbutdeadly wrote:
drubie wrote:

With a decent hammer and a welder from SupercheapAuto I could get a Recon on the BSO...

But if you want a dual suspension bike for a grand that makes all who see it drop their jaws in awe AND you want it to move? That might be a bridge too far. I do believe, Sir, that you might be taking the mickey...

That's what I thought, but I think he serious :roll:
Mugglechops

Postby kunalraiker » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:14 pm

bychosis wrote:off to the local bike shop then... experience MTBers can chat to you in person to find out what you need.

I'm not sure the list of characteristics is the best way to start out buying an MTB. MTB are not known for being stylish first especially those around $1000. Dual suspension is good, but you'll get a much nicer bike for that money in a hardtail - front suspension only. Something that makes MTBers get excited is likely to cost in the region of $3000minimum and won't be a Giant, they are like Toyota - well built, well spec'd but everyone has one.

Hmmm... I think we should take the first requirement of as it seems to have drawn some unwelcome attention :wink:
I really cannot do with a hard tail as I had one prior to the dually I currently own.
The hard tail was way too uncomfortable for me.
The dually is much smoother and I prefer it.
About why I want a new dually? well lets just say the current one may not last that long 8)
kunalraiker

Next

Return to MTB