Experience with shortening hyd brake lines & bleeding ?

Mountainbiking central

Re: Experience with shortening hyd brake lines & bleeding ?

Postby MichaelB » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:01 pm

trailgumby wrote:Of the four brass bits in the row closest to camera in the top photo, you need 1 each of the two on the left for each hose you're going to trim. The thin edges of the brass collar (called the "olive") at far left get crimped down into the hose by the force of tightening the threaded collar into the master cylinder or banjo (depending on the brand), and this stops the next fitting, called "the barb" from coming out of teh end of the hose.

You can't then get 'em off to be able to re-use them when you shorten the hose.

Having a think about it, is it (the bit highlighted) not possibel at all, or just too damn hard to make sure the parts are OK ?

What is the hose made from ?
MichaelB

by BNA » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:50 pm

BNA

Postby Crittski » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:50 pm

the olive gets squashed into the hose in a way that removing it would likely not be possible without damaging it, or the hose, not sure about the bit that goes into the hose, but reusing the parts simply isn't possible in my experience.
Santa Cruz Blur TRc XTR
Volagi Liscio Ultegra
Crittski

Postby MichaelB » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:16 am

Crittski wrote:the olive gets squashed into the hose in a way that removing it would likely not be possible without damaging it, or the hose, not sure about the bit that goes into the hose, but reusing the parts simply isn't possible in my experience.

Bugger.
MichaelB

Postby trailgumby » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:14 am

if you could find and post a photo of the master cylinder end of the hose showing barb and olive it might be possibleto determine if a Shimano or Avid olive and barb might substitute.

On reflection, if you have a Dremel you might be able to carefully cut the olive off and salvage the barb, possibly allowing you to use a Shimano olive, which are a few bucks from CRC.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby MichaelB » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:01 am

trailgumby wrote:if you could find and post a photo of the master cylinder end of the hose showing barb and olive it might be possibleto determine if a Shimano or Avid olive and barb might substitute.

On reflection, if you have a Dremel you might be able to carefully cut the olive off and salvage the barb, possibly allowing you to use a Shimano olive, which are a few bucks from CRC.

The only pic I have seen is the one I posted earlier, but when the system arrives, I take some macro pocs and measure the parts with the vernier and see what may fit.

Thanks for the info TG.
MichaelB

Previous

Return to MTB