Groupset for older MTB

PeteV

Groupset for older MTB

Postby PeteV » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:32 pm

Hey guys, I recently picked up an 80's lugged Reynolds 501 tubed Townsend MTB frame/fork. I have built this up as a single speed, aiming at using it as a beater winter bike but now my thoughts are shifting to a little off road trekingand am thinking about putting gears on it. I'm not really sure I need 30 odd gears for the type of riding I will be doing, was thinking more 8 - 16 at the most. I have seen the older M410 Alivio Groupsets going for around $180 on the bay, and could easily remove a front ring or two if not needed, or leave them on should the need to use them arive. How does the older 410 group compare to the newer 430 which is 9 speed and only $40 more? I'm not going to be going hard core cross country riding or downhilling especially on a full rigid MTB so was advised Alivio would suit my needs over say a higher spec Deore or XT group. Any care to comment on the advice I got?

mitzikatzi

Re: Groupset for older MTB

Postby mitzikatzi » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:08 pm

$180 buys a lot of late 90's early 00's mountainbike if you shop around.

Buy a bike and strip it for parts. You also end up with a spare pair of wheels for road training.

PeteV

Re: Groupset for older MTB

Postby PeteV » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:08 pm

True mate, luckily was at a party on the weekend and a guy mentioned he had an old mtb he wanted to throw out, just lower spec Shimano kit on it but is gonna do for what I want for now. Saves me $180 for beer!