Downtube protector - XTC Composite 29er

PaulMoran

Downtube protector - XTC Composite 29er

Postby PaulMoran » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:57 am

Hi All,

So I have my very first Carbon bike - I'm totally in love with it - its the new Composite XTC 29er 0 ....the one with the huge downtube .....

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any custom-fit downtube protectors anyone is making ?

I could run with some 3M tape or the like, but thought id ask the people in the know (you guys) if there is anything specially made for this beast ?

Thanks in advance

Paul

silentbutdeadly

Re: Downtube protector - XTC Composite 29er

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:50 am

Frameskin is the answer. Locally made kits and they are the business - got two sets now.

There's a kit for your bike too http://frameskin.com.au/product.php?id_product=177
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

PaulMoran

Postby PaulMoran » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:09 am

thanks SBD -

is this stuff tough enough to deflect the usual rocks and !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! that gets kicked up .....really just want to protect the carbon from getting chipped etc as much as possible

thanks again!!!!

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:17 am

Very much so. It'll even go a long way to preventing the gravel rash if you have an off.

It's automotive grade 3M paint protection film that is CNC cut to fit the specific frame. I have it on my Anthem X29 and it even works on the chainstay to protect the stay from the chain...
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

PaulMoran

Postby PaulMoran » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:20 am

Very good!!! SOLD!!!

just having a quick look now .....fork protection might be worth it too ....whad'ya'reckon ?

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:52 am

I fitted FrameSkin on my Cannondale Rize 3, which is coming up on a year old. Looking a little worse for wear in a few spots, but better that than scuffing the carbon and alloy surfaces themselves. Haven't ridden much technical singletrack over the last 7 months due to doing my collarbone, so I'm living up to my handle at the moment with a few silly low-speed tumbles (although improving rapidly). Getting scuffs on my bike gives me a severe dose of the irrits.

There are lots of fist-sized loose rocks covering the fire trails at the moment thanks to the constant heavy rains through Feb and March this year washing the surrounding soil away and into the creeks, and it has been effective in stopping paint chips without marking up itself. The same can't be said for my shins, unfortunately :lol:

PaulMoran

Postby PaulMoran » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:55 am

Nice one indeed -

...not about your shins though ;-)

Seems like the Frameskins is the way to go!! - W.I.N.N.E.R