Warranty frame - advice on options

Jean

Warranty frame - advice on options

Postby Jean » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:15 pm

Hi,

I've recently busted my MTB frame. The dealers are being good about a replacement, but my exact frame can no longer be supplied and I've got to consider the other options. As I'm building up my new 29er my intention is to sell the replacement frame (either as part of the rebuilt bike or stand alone) so I'm looking for people's feelings on which option is likley to perform best in the market.

As much as it might affect likely prices, I won't use any names as that might prejudice things with the supplier if they got wind of it. Suffice to say that the frames are generic (but branded) Taiwan supplied options.

1. A 26" hardtail carbon frame for 100mm fork. Raw carbon look with clearcoat and brand stickers over the top.To be sold either stand alone or as part of the rebuilt bike.
2. An 26" hardtail alu frame similar to what I have, but labeled as 'the next model down'. Stand alone resale value pretty insignificant I imagine so a build up would be required I think, but as it has a tapered head tube this is a problem in either the fork or headset department.
3. A 26" hardtail titanium frame for 100mm fork. To be sold either stand alone or as part of the rebuilt bike. This initially strikes me as a good option for resale, but the drag is that it is (unfathomably) only spaced for a 1.95 tyre at the back (might be a good basis for someone's commuter :| :?: ).

So waddya reckon?

mitzikatzi

Re: Warranty frame - advice on options

Postby mitzikatzi » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:20 pm

Titanium

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:19 pm

I too would go the Ti but the narrow rear tyre limit is a concern. Depends on whether you feel comfortable omitting that detail... I'd probably feel compelled to mention it. So i guess that means the carbon.

gururug

Postby gururug » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:35 pm

Ti