Buying my first real MTB

bychosis

Re: Buying my first real MTB

Postby bychosis » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:20 pm

My 1x9 with 32 front and 11-34 back is enough. I do run in the top gear a bit on the flat, but only want for more gears when I'm going fast enough downhill anyway (on road). I almost never used 44-11 combo on the flat so going to 1x9 wasn't an issue.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

cbalfe

Postby cbalfe » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:39 pm

Well I went in yesterday and after having a ride of both the Trance X29er 2 and 1, I decided to get the the 1 as I had a play with the dropper seat and honestly I think it was worth the difference.

So I ended up paying $2508 with pedals for it down from $2599 which I was happy with and I have ridden it yesterday just on some easy tracks around a dam out at Richmond and then today on some trails on the way to work and I tell you what I don't regret it for a second...

To be fair after riding the Norco it doesn't feel as stable and absorbent on the descents but the ability to change between climb, trail and decent modes for the forks and shock really makes a difference.

And the gearing has a fantastic range, to be honest I was sceptical going from 3 by 7 to 2 x 10 but I do think I have more range of gears now .

I will post up a Pic tomorrow and I get to try it out properly then by going down the North South track here on Mount Wellington I cant wait :D

Thanks again everyone for all your help I really appreciate it.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:29 pm

Cooooool, looking forward to the pics 8)
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

cbalfe

Postby cbalfe » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:32 pm

Hey Guys,

Sorry for such a delay in me updating this thread.

I have now owned the bike for a couple of months and I must say I am absolutely loving it, though it is taking some getting used to..

I had a rather unfortunate crash when riding down a track not taking into account the extra width of the handlebars over my old bike, clipped a tree and went over the handlebars and down an embankment... not much fun.

Apart from that I am having a ball and here are the promised pics:

P.S. I know the seat is currently in a crap position I have adjusted this since the picture but I didn't bring my multi-tool with me on that day.

uglybob

Postby uglybob » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:40 pm

haha - first ride on my new Stumpjumper (720mm bars) after my old Epic (680mm bars) i did the exact same thing - clipped a tree, and hit the ground like a sack of spuds :lol:

Magnum9

Postby Magnum9 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:37 pm

Nice one, beautiful setting too, where is that?

cbalfe

Postby cbalfe » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:29 pm

Magnum9 wrote:Nice one, beautiful setting too, where is that?

That is out in Risdonvale in tassie, Risdon Brook Park it is called.

m@

Postby m@ » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:02 pm

Nice bike!

Don't know how different the stock setup is to the 29er Anthem, but I found the handling improved out of sight after flipping the stem and dropping it by a couple of spacers; YMMV. Really worthwhile going tubeless as well, your local Trek shop (Ken Self?) should have Bontrager tubeless rim strips/valves—the road version fits the Giant PXC2 29er rims perfectly.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe