From road to MTB perfect storm

landscapecadmonkey

From road to MTB perfect storm

Postby landscapecadmonkey » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:11 pm

OK, my first MTB since a mongoose bmx in the scrub behind newcastles western suburbs c1975.

Quick linear rationale.... but would appreciate any constructive and all non-constructive criticism in my decision making process

Offroad....46yrs old.....29er ..... reliving glory days..... but sciatica issue = duallie...plus want to keep up with younger trail mates but also mix with own age trail bubs.... = 120mm travel..... value spec for dollar....GIANT TRANCE X3...... crap compenent / need to reach a little higher = TRANCE 1.. http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bik ... 031/57332/.

can get for $2200

Is this the perfect storm, or have i made a mistake somewhere in the rational

thanks for reading
chop wood

silentbutdeadly

Re: From road to MTB perfect storm

Postby silentbutdeadly » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:57 am

Any of the new Trance 29ers are probably the go value wise...though your premise of avoiding the base model with the sprinkling of X5 gear is sound.

I still think the Giant 29er wheelset sucks big time though - the rim is soft and compromised for even ghetto tubeless. Which be enough to make me think about something else....but the Trance is hard to go past for the dollars
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:02 am

Been ridin' dirty on a HT for nigh on 20 years now, only bought a roadie a few years back. Same age as you.

Back pain was giving me grief so I went dually last year with a Trance X2 for $1990.

DO IT! You won't regret it in any way shape or form, the Trance X is a great platform and that price is gold plated bacon on a stick. :D

Mind you, I've just finished sourcing parts for a steel HT build 'cos a dually is not the best urban assault vehicle unless there's large flights of stairs... :twisted:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:03 am

A Trance is a lot of mountain bike. Depending on your riding style an Anthem might be another choice to consider.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:19 am

I don't ride MTB anymore but i've ridden a Trance and they are VERY nice. From what i've heard they are more solid/durable/comfortable than the Anthem, which is more full on XC race material. I'll stress that's just what i've heard from a few people, there are a lot of Anthems out there, presumably with happy owners.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

landscapecadmonkey

Postby landscapecadmonkey » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:35 am

ldrcycles wrote:I don't ride MTB anymore but i've ridden a Trance and they are VERY nice. From what i've heard they are more solid/durable/comfortable than the Anthem, which is more full on XC race material. I'll stress that's just what i've heard from a few people, there are a lot of Anthems out there, presumably with happy owners.
from the research ive done so far, the Anthem v Trance decision seems to be a very common dilemna for people in my situation.... those who are getting into, or back into MTB and are trying to compare not only bikes, by different types of riding.... to match bike types to the riding style.

im taking a Trance and Anthem for a comparison ride sat morning, so still open to either at this stage, although leaning towards the Trance for the riding id like to be doing.
mitzikatzi wrote:A Trance is a lot of mountain bike. Depending on your riding style an Anthem might be another choice to consider.
had decided on the Trance for the rider i would like to be i guess and the riding i want to be doing, but still very open to either making sense after a test ride.
Mulger bill wrote:Mind you, I've just finished sourcing parts for a steel HT build 'cos a dually is not the best urban assault vehicle unless there's large flights of stairs... :twisted:
i was originally planning to build a well spec'ed OnOne Inbred 29er, as most of my other bikes are steel, but the dual suspension started to make more sense, especially for the riding id like to be doing. and as SBD said, Giants make sense for the value for money.

So shall see tomorrow.
chop wood

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:10 am

I made it to one of the Giant ride days when they were on last autumn and rode both the Anthem and Trace 29ers and 26ers. Chatting to the boys there and the local shop owner (who owned a carbon trance), he was saying that he was quite happy with his Trance, he'd beat his Anthem mates down the hill, but uphill, the Anthem was a bit quicker / easier to ride.

After riding both, I'd have to agree with his view, the Anthem was great for the XC track we rode on, but the Trance was definitely great for very fast descents. I ended up purchasing an older Anthem off eBay and am very happy with it after I put a bit of work into it. I reckon each to their own, either way I don't think you'll be upset with your choice 8)

landscapecadmonkey

Postby landscapecadmonkey » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:21 pm

The Anthem 'felt' more familiar than the Trance, but thats maybe because im coming from riding a road bike, and mtb with rigid forks a long timee ago. It felt more familiar with the lean to the bars, but essentially its the Trance i feel best suits the terrain id like to be riding. It felt more plush or even sloppier (from a rigid road riders perspective), but far more comfy over rougher terrain, with the ability to dial in softer or stiffer suspension being a great advantage

Ideally , i would still like to go for steel frame, rigid fork... come what may, but yield to advances in MTB technology and age related softness, although a flair up of a sciatica issue has laid me up at the moment, but its responding to physio.

The Trance is a beautiful bike.

Thanks to all for advice..... purchase delayed slightly due to this nerve thing, but hope to post pics of the Trance soon on the many trails that friends have recommended around Briasbane.
chop wood