Suspension corrected forks

MountGower

Suspension corrected forks

Postby MountGower » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:00 am

I am wanting to find some rigid forks for a 26" MTB. I need two things. Forks that are truely suspension corrected and V brake posts. There are plenty out there that claim to be the right length to replace suspension, however this is no more than a lie on the part of the manufacturer who obviously have made the mistake of believing me too stupid to read a tape.

Any dumb arse can draw the conclusion that a fork with a crown race to fork measurement of 430mm does not replace a suspension fork of 480mm.

Does anyone know where I can find a genuine replacement for V brake suspension?

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:44 am

I know Surly do one thats meant to be for a replacement of 100mm travel forks.

I don't know much about it all but a thought I had when I was looking, measurements would be different to allow for sag of the suspension fork? but then that would depend on total travel of the fork your replacing??

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:12 am

Instigator fork is 447mm axle to crown.

If your fork is 100mm travel you should have about 25mm of sag set in it, so you'll only be about 7mm different. That's about as close as you're going to get - put another 5mm spacer under your stem and you're set.

A 430mm axle to crown fork may replace a suspension fork, just not your suspension fork.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:51 pm

Thanks for that.

The internet can really suck a lot of time and drive you mad. I knew there must be something out there. I'm no weight weenie but I wonder if my Bombers are much heavier than those. They are definately the longest I know of now.

Thanks again.

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:57 pm

MountGower wrote:Thanks for that.

The internet can really suck a lot of time and drive you mad. I knew there must be something out there. I'm no weight weenie but I wonder if my Bombers are much heavier than those. They are definately the longest I know of now.

Thanks again.
The instigator fork is a heavy fork, it's to match the bike as a "26" BMX". A Salsa Cro-moto or Surly 1x1 fork is nearly half a kilo lighter but is 425mm Axle to crown - these would be right if you had 80mm travel forks. It's still an option if you currently don't have spacers under your stem, or if you're prepared to deal with a change in geometry. OTOH if you do get an instigator fork you'll only ever have to buy one. ;)

You will save a bit of weight on your forks in any case - my Fox F100RL is ~1.6kg, so it would still be 150g lighter than even that.

There are carbon MTB forks like the Bontrager Switchblade that are much lighter but most of them are disc brake only.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:36 pm

My 80mm Bombers are still slightly too long for the Instigator which are not the 100mm substitutes that Surly claim they are, even when sag is allowed for.

I'm dreaming on a bit here, anyway and quite like the bike I have for now. In the future I will have a full rigid 26" and a dual XC bike, but time and money will dictate when.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:04 pm

OK, whilst I very much appreciate the replies, 7.5 hours in the Brisbane Forrest Park today has helped me realise that I love my front forks. I just looked at the Salsa ala Carte with it's slim lines and thought for my long BFP rides I could really just have a rigid bike. What the hell was I thinking.

I staggered out of there thinking XC dually. Until my current steed work hardens and goes the way of all before it, I will soldier on and probably go a steel hard tail and some new Marzocchis.

Once I've had some sleepy byes I can start ogling those smooth rigids again. How tragic of me.

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:26 pm

Suspension does rock(s). ;)

You could get some Manitou R7s of Torpedo 7 for $400 or so, would drop a fair bit of weight compared to your Bombers.

I'd consider a rigid bike as a 2nd bike, but not as a primary off road ride - too many rides I like to do would leave me smashed riding rigid.

xx68

Postby xx68 » Tue May 13, 2008 8:46 am

MG , i have no help for your question :P Just one of my own ! ( but I would probably have a set of forks laying about - GT curved ones ! )

i am in the throes of deciding which or what sort of mtb to purchase - i have had a carbon giant for over 15 years , fully rigid frame except for a 90 's suspension stem ( remember them ) . I love the lightness and response of the rigid but ......its killing me !
I would like to do a couple of xc style events , so two Q's
Better to fork out my current bike - as you have suggested the forks are super . Or buy a dual suspension bike ?

Please , anyone jump in and suggest away :D as i am confuzzzled with all the new variations on mtb - DH ,DJ ,All Mountain ,XC ,Trail ,Freeride and the stores are not really helping . I have given the intertron a belting but its still not clear ...

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Tue May 13, 2008 9:42 am

xx68 wrote:Better to fork out my current bike - as you have suggested the forks are super . Or buy a dual suspension bike ?
G'day xx68,

By what do you mean "better"? If you like to ride long distances, both up and down hills, you'll be looking for a XC rig. The waters are being made murky by the cross-over point to all-mountain these days, as many of the good XC bikes are now getting 5" travel front and rear (eg Trance-X).

In HTs, bike like the XtC are great XC bikes. Light, fast and fun.

You've started to think about dual suspension, so that's probably where you're heading. Bikes like the Trance, Anthem, Epic and StumpJumper are the ones to look at first and then go out from there. (Anthem and Epic are race-bred steeds, the others are more for relaxed fun with more technical ground.)

Anyway, you'll need to give us more info about the type of riding you enjoy before we can suggest a genre for a new MTB.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Tue May 13, 2008 9:59 am

If you want to have as close as possible to a hard tail but with some suspension to keep the traction and reduce shock, then you want a short travel XC race bike like the Giant Anthem or Trek Top Fuel.

If you want a more "plush" ride, then a 100 - 120mm travel bike like a Giant Trance, Trek Fuel EX or Specialized Stumpjumper is the go. These are good for enduro and marathon races where the fatigue reduction from having the suspension is more important.

Longer travel bikes (6" +) go into the All Mountain category, which start getting heavier. You get these if descending is more important than climbing to you. After that you get into Freeride and downhill bikes which can't be ridden up hills at all (too heavy not enough gears).

xx68

Postby xx68 » Tue May 13, 2008 3:33 pm

Yes to both Graeme and Ben !

I've been working today which has gotten in the way of my MTB shopping .........
So far i have surmised that the steed i am garnering a fetish for is -

* A xc rig , meaning light and dual suspension , it must climb and descend in equal measures , i do like pounding over single track , and must really pick my line on an unsuspended mount .I have a hankering to try some of these enduro style xc events ( ie dirtworks etc ) the budget is around -> $3000 .
I am of the opinion that a dunger will not really be forthcoming as at that price point they will all be pretty good .

So , the shorter list is looking like this .
Trance or Trance 1 , X1 or X2 depending on the $$$ , but the stores are telling me buy now as the stock is low . Price range $2-2800
A Specialized xc or xc comp - they also do a pitch or pitch comp Price range $2-2700
Or , a Jamis xcr , which like the giant are super specced for the money .Price range $2-3400.

Now i think that the specialized may have a little more brand $$$ , but the giant and the jamis are just great value , depending on the equipment level lx to xt .
I was offered a Giant nrs1 for $3000 and this is a beauty but a '06 model .
The only spanner in the works was a Mongoose Canaan , which has a different rear suspension set-up but according to a mature gent ( over 30 !) was a fantastic bike .
Maybe I am better to start at the bottom of my price range as any thing would be more suitable that what i have at present ( a carbon fibre giant approx 15 yrs old ) or maybe a frt suspended hardtail as you can get an xtr equipped weapon for the same dollars :?

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Tue May 13, 2008 4:12 pm

I have a Trance 1 and think it's excellent value for money. My downhill speeds have practically doubled over my hardtail, and I basically use all of the travel exactly on my average fast paced ride. It weighs about 12.3kg with pedals.

I've ridden an Anthem SE too, which was marginally more efficient but not as nice a ride, especially downhill.

If you're riding a rigid bike then any suspension bike is going to improve your speed & comfort on rough terrain, it sounds like the 4"-5" travel area is where you want to be. It's about right for Enduro/Marathon races.

The good thing about the Giant and Specialized suspension designs is the linkages minimise pedal and brake feedback on the suspension. I think with most Mongoose bikes, the rear suspension stiffens under braking, and the Jamis XCR linkage will produce a similar effect.

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Tue May 13, 2008 5:50 pm

xx68 wrote: A Specialized xc or xc comp - they also do a pitch or pitch comp Price range $2-2700
Not interested in the stumpjumper FSR, from what you've been saying ride wise? I thought the comp was around the $2700 mark in the mid season sale??

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Tue May 13, 2008 9:48 pm

Okay then, the Trance (take your pick) and the Specialized FSR Stumpjumper seem like the bikes for you then. I'd go with the Giants, myself, unless you find a great deal on the FSR. (I have the Specialized Epic, but I got the frame cheep ..... love it, BTW.)

That NRS is way over priced now - Giant has surpassed it by a long way with their new designs. The owner of that bike will be lucky to get $1200 for it now.

Forget the Mongoose.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....