Retro MTB Tribe

Mountainbiking central

Re: Retro MTB Tribe

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:47 am

bychosis wrote:Cool, thanks for posting a slice of history. Interesting that its an enduro course and distance.

Those sort of distances were pretty standard in the day. Not much in the way of single track existed.
singlespeedscott

by BNA » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:18 am

BNA

Postby bychosis » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:18 am

By the time I got into a little racing in the mid 90s there was a definite split to DH and XCO courses. The local DH was pretty tame and hardtail bikes were competitive and I could comfortably finish the course (I walk sections of current dH trails and can't cope with gap jumps)
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby pentlandexile » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:47 pm

That is a nice bit of history there. Repack guys, eat your hearts out!
Long day's journey into alt-bars
pentlandexile

Postby Steve F » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:07 am

Picked this up yesterday. It's a 89 model Ricardo Bushbike, I was looking for something to chop up for parts for the recumbant trike I'm building but when I saw this I had to just buy it ($20) to restore and daily ride :)

It has some cool/strange things like the under frame rear brake, elliptical chain rings and cr-mo frame. The main reason I decided to save it is it's an Australian made frame/bike, made down in Adelaide. They only made them for two years and then imported the frames from Taiwan and dropped the cr-mo, under frame brake and elliptical chain ring and went to budget/standard setup.

I put some air in the tyres and took it for a qucik ride, it's an 18 speed and shifts nice and feels nice to ride. It does need the stem bearings done though, or at least greased and tightened as well as new tyres as these have rotted. I'll get those few things done over the next week and then ride it for a bit before I pull it down to clean, paint and polish.

Cheers
Steve
Steve F

Postby pentlandexile » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:46 pm

Can't argue with that for $20, what's the groupset/brakes on it?
pentlandexile

Postby donny70 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:19 pm

This is my current project which I'm half way through.

Sent it to a powdercoaters but was crap quality, unfinished and got no apology. Took 5 weeks and got overspray and drips. Anyways I filed, sanded and buffed for a few hours and this is what I've done so far. I'll post more images as they happen...

donny70

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:39 pm

Looking pretty good. Sold one of these a couple of months ago.
singlespeedscott

Postby Steve F » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:11 pm

pentlandexile wrote:Can't argue with that for $20, what's the groupset/brakes on it?

Derailleurs are Shimano Acera X and brakes are Dia Compe 990. They all look original and work well so I figure I've got at least my $20 back there :)

Cheers
Steve
Steve F

Postby bychosis » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:18 pm

donny70 wrote:This is my current project which I'm half way through.

Nice work. Was just looking over at Rotorburn and saw another one done up just as nice... Oh, wait...
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby donny70 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:17 pm

bychosis wrote:
donny70 wrote:This is my current project which I'm half way through.

Nice work. Was just looking over at Rotorburn and saw another one done up just as nice... Oh, wait...

Mine? Ha ha
donny70

Postby Mugglechops » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:04 am

singlespeedscott wrote:
bychosis wrote:Cool, thanks for posting a slice of history. Interesting that its an enduro course and distance.

Those sort of distances were pretty standard in the day. Not much in the way of single track existed.

Even when I started racing in 1993 there was not much singletrack. My first race at the You Yangs was all fire trail.
Mugglechops

Postby cray- » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:06 pm

I was browsing old entries on Cycle EXIF and this caught my eye: http://www.cycleexif.com/gt-bravado (I know, steel vs ally) but I was intrigued and hopped onto Gumtree to have a poke around. Next thing I know I was loading this Pantera into my boot (didn't pay the asking price if you saw it listed). I believe it is a '95 based on the decals and spec, possibly one of these if the forks weren't added later?: http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Bike ... f5dMGthiSP

The CNC'd Answer Manitou stem is a bit of a curiosity. Old eBay listings and for sale threads suggest they go for $40-$60. If you can find someone building a period Manitou bike who wants a stem to match of course. Might list it and try my luck, it looks a bit weird on this bike, especially with the Rock Shox.

First I gotta check if the STX rear shifter can be fixed or if I need to replace it, trigger does nothing. Then see how shagged the old forks are, rebuild kits or not worth the hassle for ~50mm travel? Wouldn't mind going back to rigid GT forks like the Bravado if I can find some, the bike was originally sold in both versions. I don't know all that much about mtb's, though I do remember lusting after something like this back in highschool, anywho n+1 eh?

Last edited by cray- on Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cray-

Postby pentlandexile » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:36 pm

Photo's not working, sounds interesting though.
pentlandexile

Postby cray- » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:24 pm

Edited post, back to Flickr. Not that interesting, kinda mid-range in it's day I think. Needs a good cleanup, that No Fear sticker will be first to go.
cray-

Postby pentlandexile » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:51 pm

See what you mean about the stem. Nice Syncros post though?
pentlandexile

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:12 pm

Nothing wrong with the Manitou stem. It was the ducks nuts in the mid 90's.
singlespeedscott

Postby bychosis » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:46 pm

I had a mate who's ultimate bike was a pantera, he didn't have a lot of cash, but it was all about the band name on his ride.
bychosis

Postby LugNut » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:28 pm

Take the caps off of the shifter, blow it out with WD-40/some sort of degreaser, scrub it with a toothbrush, blast it under a tap and then lubricate and re-assemble. It works a treat. I've done it a few times, I cleaned some XT shifters that were *completely* unresponsive and they were straight back to clickety click click, and they've stayed that way for 4 months.
LugNut

Postby LugNut » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:30 pm

Well, my Nishiki late 80s MTB is headed for the tip :cry: See page 9. Eventually I was defeated by the seatpost, which was seized deep into the frame. I tried twisting the frame with the seatpost in a vice, after a two week long ammonia soak and after heating it with boiling water.. Nothing. I saved the fork, so if anybody needs a Tange lugged 26" fork from the late 80s I'll be happy to help.

The hunt is back on for a x-large 26" lugged MTB frame. :(
LugNut

Postby pentlandexile » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:58 pm

LugNut wrote:Well, my Nishiki late 80s MTB is headed for the tip :cry: See page 9. Eventually I was defeated by the seatpost, which was seized deep into the frame. I tried twisting the frame with the seatpost in a vice, after a two week long ammonia soak and after heating it with boiling water.. Nothing. I saved the fork, so if anybody needs a Tange lugged 26" fork from the late 80s I'll be happy to help.

The hunt is back on for a x-large 26" lugged MTB frame. :(

Gutting! Save it for wall art?
pentlandexile

Postby LugNut » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:22 pm

Considered it, but to be honest It's pretty ugly in the light, one side is very sun faded and there is a lot of surface rust.
LugNut

Postby cray- » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:58 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:Nothing wrong with the Manitou stem. It was the ducks nuts in the mid 90's.

Nothing wrong with it at all, it's quite cool, just not on this bike in my opinion. Now if I could figure out who bought that Manitou dually off mikgit.....

mikgit wrote:this was the garage a year and half ago, before the cleanout and interstate move...

LugNut wrote:Take the caps off of the shifter, blow it out with WD-40/some sort of degreaser, scrub it with a toothbrush, blast it under a tap and then lubricate and re-assemble. It works a treat. I've done it a few times, I cleaned some XT shifters that were *completely* unresponsive and they were straight back to clickety click click, and they've stayed that way for 4 months.

Cheers mate, will give it a crack. I think my early '00s Avanti Hotdog shifters could do with the same treatment.
cray-

Postby cray- » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:41 am

pentlandexile wrote:See what you mean about the stem. Nice Syncros post though?

So yeah, that syncros seat post.... had my first opportunity to mess with the bike today. Hopped on it while still inside the garage to get a feel for its geometry/size & put some weight toward the back of the seat when all of a sudden CCCRREEEAAAAKKKKKK!!!!! Butt slides off the back, seat falls to the floor & I'm left staring at one very broken post.

Will post pics & further discoveries in a new thread at a later date but after reading through this thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/ritchey-design/c ... 37178.html I'm kind of glad it happened how it did & not out riding under much more dangerous circumstances.
cray-

Postby LugNut » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:30 pm

Here's a late 80s lugged steel MTB I'm currently selling in the marketplace, I'm posting the edited listing here because it is a pretty rare machine.

Frame is fully lugged Reynolds 531 triple triangle, with Suntour dropouts.
I believe it is custom built, and would take a punt at Hillman or somebody local, but I do not know much about the history except that the last owner was the second owner since the late 90s, and was fairly clueless. It has a pump peg under the top tube and internal cable routing, but no mudguard and rack mounts (which many MTBs had in the late 80s) which all point to custom built. Most MTBs were TIG welded by 1988 as well. I dated it from a date code stamped on the Suntour seat post that came with the frame, which has been replaced as it had a crack in it. The bike is absolutely immaculate, obviously rarely used and well looked after.

Suntour XC Pro derailleurs, Sugino AP110 triple cranks, Suntour XC trigger shifters and 4 finger brake levers, Suntour XC 9000 Canti's with Suntour hangers, Suntour XC pedals and a Suntour cup and cone BB which still spins perfectly. Wheels are Suntour Cyclone hubs onto Ambrosio rims. Headset is Tange, bars and stem made by Strong Japan.

The trigger shifters feel very different to Shimano, they have no return spring and move in a thumb shifter type way. Indexed for 6 speed and non indexed for front derailleur, I think these would last a lot longer than Shimano triggers, and they feel like much better quality. I probably even prefer the feel of them to modern triggers.

_MG_2154 by biekomelbourne, on Flickr
_MG_2160 by biekomelbourne, on Flickr
_MG_2176 by biekomelbourne, on Flickr
_MG_2180 by biekomelbourne, on Flickr
_MG_2157 by biekomelbourne, on Flickr
_MG_2167 by biekomelbourne, on Flickr
_MG_2148 by biekomelbourne, on Flickr
LugNut

Postby pentlandexile » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:09 pm

Absolute bargain!