Retro MTB Tribe

find_bruce

Re: Retro MTB Tribe

Postby find_bruce » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:55 pm

This bike makes me think of Brittany Spears - used to be nice, but life has been hard. The XTR rear derailleur is a reminder of former glory while the rusty steal seat pin shows how low it has fallen
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

Marmoset

Postby Marmoset » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:18 pm

cray- wrote:I bought this GT Pantera awhile back, striped it down and started buying up new parts to replace various bits. The old Rock Shox went into the too hard basket, replaced with some Gusset Jury SL rigids.

When I peeled off all the crappy No Fear and Rock Shox stickers I found the paint underneath had faded at a different rate to the exposed sections, so I now have ghost stickers on it.

Also, you can't tell in the photo but about 60-70% of the frame was covered in some kind of very thick, clear stickers. I assume it was to protect the paint from chips and scratches, but the application is bodgy at best, different shapes cut out and applied all over the shop.

So now I have a conundrum, I'd like to have it repainted and get original decals onto it but can't afford to do so. I could strip it DIY style and then polish the ally (the Zaskers look nice shined to almost chrome), but that's lots of hard work, I'd still need decals and I honestly prefer the gunmetal paint. Or I leave it in it's ratty state, put the bike back together and ride it. Maybe I'll do it properly one day.

You could always strip the decals, go over the frame with some kind of scratch remover/paint colour restorer from an auto store and see how it turns out, then order some replacement decals if it looks okay?

jmacbrid86

Postby jmacbrid86 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:10 pm

Hey Guys,

Love the bikes, would anyone be able to help me find a Retro MTB frame thinking of building it up as a solid commuter.

I am really struggling to find a frame over here in Perth, as I need an XL to XXL. Anyone able to help me?

Oh and I would love a Kona or a Specialized.

Cheers,

J

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:21 am

find_bruce wrote:This bike makes me think of Brittany Spears - used to be nice, but life has been hard. The XTR rear derailleur is a reminder of former glory while the rusty steal seat pin shows how low it has fallen
The seatpost looks a long way from original (stolen from a kmart BMX?) obviously a pricey bike in its day why would you leave it out in the rain?
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:35 am

I should have pics up of a Giant ATX980 in a week or two. I picked it up at the tip a few weeks back and have been slowly gathering the bits required, it'll have a set of Manitou Spyder forks, Deore LX derailleurs and Truvativ cranks, should look great :) .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:58 am

find_bruce wrote:This bike makes me think of Brittany Spears - used to be nice, but life has been hard. The XTR rear derailleur is a reminder of former glory while the rusty steal seat pin shows how low it has fallen
Given how otherwise original it is (full CODA driveline and brakes!) then it might be worth a punt...
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:13 pm

silentbutdeadly wrote:
Given how otherwise original it is (full CODA driveline and brakes!) then it might be worth a punt...
It seems that a number of bidders agree with you. I like the bike, but I won't be bidding as I suspect that the seatpin & saddle are the only bits that haven't been stolen.

minhyy

Postby minhyy » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:41 pm

joining the tribe..

VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

koshari

Postby koshari » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:49 pm

like the Pug.

Malvernrats

Postby Malvernrats » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:41 pm

Here's my latest build and everyday ride.
Found as a giveaway on the classifieds .
Seems to be 1990s . Trek mt.track 870.
Was shimano STX groupset.
I built it up as as 1x7 . Deore lx cranks , shifter
And rear derailleur. Steel biopace chainring .Still need to sort the braking
But for now deore canti on the back .Image
Surly rigid forks as it had a 1 1/8 headtube. Nice light steel bike and
Handles downhill single track like its on rails .

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:23 am

That's nifty. You can now get a Race Face narrow wide chainring that should fit that 5 bolt chainset if you have chain drop issues. Plenty of V brakes out there for braking options...

akq

Postby akq » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:12 am

My latest kerbside find http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/321531473630 ... 1555.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

alrsv1

Postby alrsv1 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:01 pm

alrsv1 wrote:I had one f these way back when... A Specialized Stumpjumper M2.

This one's in a pretty sorry state so it's getting striped back to the bone and restored. Haven't decided exactly what to do with it yet.
Decisions decisions....

After photos will follow... in a few weeks.

Nothing too exciting in the end, powder coat/decals, some new parts (brakes, BB, shifter), some bits that were lying round (Tiagra crank and mech) and some nice old Mavic wheels. Rides nice.

1997 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Frezoni MAX,
1992 Cannondale M2000, 201Pivot Mach5.5.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:25 pm

It's come up a treat.

simon.young

Postby simon.young » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:36 pm

Nice work, really clean!

jbchybridrider

Postby jbchybridrider » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:56 am

Great detail work there, looks like new.

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:18 am

I've recently picked up two pretty sweet vintage MTBs.

First is one I've been chasing for a while - An '84 Miyata Ridge Runner, running Suntour Mountech and with sweet black painted Nitto Bullmoose bars. I plan on restoring it to close to original, plus making a few modifications to use it for dirt touring. I'll add a Nitto M18 front rack and saddle bag, plus I'll swap out the Mountech RD for something a little better, as they were notoriously unreliable (I've got a little pile of these!)

The other is a '95 Diamondback Vertex WCF welded carbon/alu with old LX/XT 8 speed. Also a pretty sweet rig. I bought it because I really like old 8 speed stuff and it looked to be in good nic, but the frame has grown on me too. I haven't had a good look at it yet and don't know whether I will strip it as originally planned or build it back up. It's in pretty poor shape, although lightly used it looks like it's been in the weather for 19 years.

Photos incoming!...

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:49 am

Also, can anybody recommend a big 26" tyre? Like 2.4" plus? All I can find is the Continental X King. Was hoping to buy a set of WTB Weirwolf's in 26 x 2.55" but it seems that they've been discontinued.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:32 am

LugNut wrote:The other is a '95 Diamondback Vertex WCF welded carbon/alu with old LX/XT 8 speed. Also a pretty sweet rig. I bought it because I really like old 8 speed stuff and it looked to be in good nic, but the frame has grown on me too. I haven't had a good look at it yet and don't know whether I will strip it as originally planned or build it back up. It's in pretty poor shape, although lightly used it looks like it's been in the weather for 19 years.

Photos incoming!...
The WCF frames were good - a mate has a one from almost new & well equipped. Usually pretty cheap too as diamondback went very much downmarket from there so no brand cache

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:45 am

LugNut wrote:Also, can anybody recommend a big 26" tyre? Like 2.4" plus? All I can find is the Continental X King. Was hoping to buy a set of WTB Weirwolf's in 26 x 2.55" but it seems that they've been discontinued.
Rubena Highlander comes in that size (but at a price) http://pciaustralia.com.au/products-pag ... -freeride/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can get a 26 x 3.0" Arrow Savage from Arrow Racing (they also have plenty of 2.55 options) but they are universally heavy at well over 1200 gms per tyre

metalrideroz

Postby metalrideroz » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:08 am

LugNut wrote:Also, can anybody recommend a big 26" tyre? Like 2.4" plus? All I can find is the Continental X King. Was hoping to buy a set of WTB Weirwolf's in 26 x 2.55" but it seems that they've been discontinued.
http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TYOOCM26X24 ... 26x24-tyre" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TYGXLMLFT/g ... lding-tyre" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

simon.young

Postby simon.young » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:55 pm

89 & 90 Shogun Prairie Breaker Team Issue.

brettels

Postby brettels » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:06 pm

[quote="simon.young"]89 & 90 Shogun Prairie Breaker Team Issue.

Simon, they both look good.

Your starting to acquire a few rigid mtb's there...
GT obsession......

minhyy

Postby minhyy » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:14 pm

'89 Peugeot Hurricane

VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

hitchhiker

Postby hitchhiker » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:48 pm

minhyy wrote:'89 Peugeot Hurricane