Retro MTB Tribe

mithba

Re: Retro MTB Tribe

Postby mithba » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:12 pm

Nice find! I recently found my GT RTS-2 on gumtree for a cool $100

Had that much crap caked into the cassette I had to use a screw driver to clean it out. Can't wait to try and make it as original as possible.

Mitch

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:13 pm

HappyHumber wrote:
ldrcycles wrote:... They look cool with the bullmoose bars and super laid back angles but the Malvern Star felt WEIRD to ride.
You sort of have to take into context where the modern sport of MTBing was at in its evolution in the early 80s. There's a great movie around called "Klunkerz" if you can find it. Basically the modern sport evolved out of some 1970s Hippies in California bombing down hilly dirt roads - not technical single track. They were doing it on on beefed up old, cheap 1930s & 1940s kids cruiser bikes. These bikes had slack angles with long wheelbases and most importantly clearances for fat, wide tyres. The early rigid frame MTBs like the Malvern & Raliegh pictured just now were just an extension of this. I can see why technical riders don't care for them, but I still think they're great as cruisers and urban runabouts. Here's my kerbside find that got my interest in the history.... I swear I could ride it no-handed whilst performing the upper half of the Maori Haka and it wouldn't waiver. The geometry and weight of it makes it track like a super-tanker.
A good site for this history is here - Charlie Kelly's MOUNTAIN BIKE HUBSITE

Charlie Kelly was one of the guys who started it all. He was one of the instigators of the original Repack race. In the late '70's he started a bike company to make off-road bikes. His business partner was a guy named Gary Fisher (yes, that Gary Fisher). They applied to register the company name ‘Mountain Bikes’, but their lawyer stuffed up the application. This was pretty much the first use of the term 'Mountain Bike'.

The frames were made by Tom Ritchey (Ritchey Bikes). Many of the parts on the bikes were imported from Italy by their friend Mike Sinyard, who had just set up a company called Specialized Bicycle Components.

There is lots of interesting reading and great pictures on that website.

pentlandexile

Postby pentlandexile » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:50 pm

^^^^ this website is great, thanks for posting.
Long day's journey into alt-bars

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:01 pm

Here's a nice little feature TV article from the late 70s, obviously when the popularity was first starting to snowball and the media was getting interested.

You'll note one bike which appears a bit throughout the video, a diamond frame with an extra stay or spar stretching from the headtube to the rear dropouts. I may stand corrected, but this (or these) bikes were some of the very first built specifically for the purpose. Charlie Kelly's site talks about them, I am sure. They might be the Tom Ritchey bikes - not 100% myself without cross checking.

--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

K2

Postby K2 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:53 am

HappyHumber wrote: You sort of have to take into context where the modern sport of MTBing was at in its evolution in the early 80s. There's a great movie around called "Klunkerz" if you can find it. Basically the modern sport evolved out of some 1970s Hippies in California bombing down hilly dirt roads - not technical single track. ......
If you've got a Dimmeys [kinda like a Crazy Clarks or a Mad Harrys or a Mental Marks....ok, I made that last one up] near you, you'll likely be able to find this dvd for $1 if you get in before the rush, or possibly a doubling of the price. I snaffled one over xmas but haven't found time to watch it yet.

And if you happen to lean that way.....they also had a ton of football dvds [including for example a 4 disc set on International Football Rivalries or The Official MU History 1878-2008] for the same, crazy, never to be repeated, ridiculous price. :)

pentlandexile

Postby pentlandexile » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:17 pm

So can you still ride the Repack fire road, or has it been turned into a housing estate?

PS loved the "cars, concrete and cops" line in the video.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:45 pm

HappyHumber wrote: a diamond frame with an extra stay or spar stretching from the headtube to the rear dropouts.
Wasn't that Joe Breeze of Breezer frame? I think i read an article a while ago where he mentioned he did that on his first few frames before reverting to the standard DF.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

pentlandexile

Postby pentlandexile » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:10 pm

Yeah, the Breeze, there's a write-up and pics on that Charlie Kelly website.

brettels

Postby brettels » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:15 pm

Another classic....

1993 Trek 9200......
GT obsession......

Slow6

Postby Slow6 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:40 pm

Boing-oing-oing-oing

:D

brettels

Postby brettels » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:44 pm

The Boing-oing-oing-oing elastomer stack has been replaced with a spring/gas shock.....much better.....
GT obsession......

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:37 pm

K2 wrote:
HappyHumber wrote:There's a great movie around called "Klunkerz" if you can find it.
If you've got a Dimmeys [kinda like a Crazy Clarks] near you, you'll likely be able to find this dvd for $1
*coff*hack*bittorrent*coff*coff*
--

Slow6

Postby Slow6 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:48 pm

brettels wrote:The Boing-oing-oing-oing elastomer stack has been replaced with a spring/gas shock.....much better.....

I know, thought you'd appreciate a nod from another chap who remembers trying out one of those pogo sticks bitd.

Good looking bikes.. early full sus bikes are my weakness.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:19 pm

Slow6 wrote: Good looking bikes.. early full sus bikes are my weakness.
I wouldn't mind finding a Mantis Pro Floater or AMP Research.

floody

Postby floody » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:12 pm

That looks great Brett, been a few decent treks for sale in SEQ lately on gumtree I see.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:38 pm

Slow6 wrote:.. early full sus bikes are my weakness.
I wish you were about in the late 90s, you coulda had a near new 'Goose VRS 2 for a song, that rattly, creaky rocking horse put me off riding duallies for years.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

brettels

Postby brettels » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:42 pm

floody wrote:That looks great Brett, been a few decent treks for sale in SEQ lately on gumtree I see.
Thanks, couldn't let this one go......

In saying that, i have cleaned it up and its going to my mates bike store (he is a Trek dealer) along with the Trek Y33 I gave him.....
GT obsession......

8/40Special

Postby 8/40Special » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:21 pm

Have been looking for an older MTB to ride around the park with my kids. This one came my way and thought it might be of interest to this thread. I don't know much about it and there doesn't seem to be a lot of info about this bike on the net, but it is a Lotus Pegasus. Year of manufacture I don't know.

I gave it a degrease, lubed the chain and put some air in the tyres and it all seems to work. Could use some new cables for the shifters though and it has a bit of rust here and there. An ugly duckling for sure but worth saving!

Scott

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:03 am

Wow! An integral shoulder hoik spot at the apex of the top and seat tube. I'd previously only seen straps mounted here on diamond framed MTBs. Probably says sometning about the frame quality and weight though ;)
--

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:00 pm

Is the headset on that Lotus what it looks like or something else?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:19 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Is the headset on that Lotus what it looks like or something else?
Looks like a headset..... :roll:

8/40Special

Postby 8/40Special » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:31 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Is the headset on that Lotus what it looks like or something else?
Mulger Bill,

The headset is stamped Tange Seiki Levin. I believe that the frame is made from Tange tubing.

Scott

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:16 pm

Obviously not the original fork.

wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:22 pm

It's a busy looking thing, ugly duckling is putting it politely :D

I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beer holder ? :)

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:05 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:Obviously not the original fork.
What makes you say that? My first MTB (a Bennet thingamy) in the early 80's with a similarly raked double crown fork. When it sagged under pressure it was replaced with a chrome single crown of similar rake and mass!