Retro MTB Tribe

singlespeedscott

Re: Retro MTB Tribe

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:01 pm

alrsv1 wrote:Just finished restoring this 1986 Rockhopper. Was in a bit of a sorry state:

Sweet restoration. You did a great job

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:47 pm

cycles gitane wrote:Spotted this recently in a coastal Victorian town.
10 year old boy was riding it.
Not a picture of the drive side but I think it is early 90's.

cheers

cycles gitane
It's a Kirk Precision. Late 80s to early 90s IIRC.
Cast magnesium frame, rather light but subject to internal cracking which created an instant noodle.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

cycles gitane
Location: Near the Dandenong Creek cycle trail, Eastern Melbourne

Postby cycles gitane » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:05 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
cycles gitane wrote:Spotted this recently in a coastal Victorian town.
10 year old boy was riding it.
Not a picture of the drive side but I think it is early 90's.

cheers

cycles gitane
It's a Kirk Precision. Late 80s to early 90s IIRC.
Cast magnesium frame, rather light but subject to internal cracking which created an instant noodle.
Yes I'm aware of the background to this make.
I was sharing due to the rarity of the bike.
Group set pictures would help date the bike.
There is NO room in the shed for the next bike! New shed rqd.

davehirst

Postby davehirst » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:58 pm

Picked up a 95 diamondback torango (avanir ) yesterday, all exage 300, exage hubs, and avanir post,bars etc.
anyone had anything to do with them. seems well put together, and i believe it was before diamondback sold out.
took a bit of tooling to get it working again, but it is ready for a bushbash when the weather cools down

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:49 pm

1997 Kona Fire Mountain - chromo frame with OG bits, but i SS'd it to a 44/16, raceface deus cranks and ignitor 2.35s.

koshari

Postby koshari » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:33 am

not quite an MTB but its got V brakes!
just waiting on a chain to arrive (and bruised rib pain to subside) then down to the local track :-)

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:27 pm

end of todays ride:
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:50 pm

mikgit wrote:end of todays ride:
Nice

metalrideroz

Postby metalrideroz » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:12 pm

Pink ritchey is awesome.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:41 pm

My boss just gave me his Giant ATX840 hardtail, needs some work but it's my size and will be a good match for my 980 dually.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

mbikeboy

Postby mbikeboy » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:25 pm

I was fortunate enough to come across a 26'er Apollo Himalaya frame with Suntour XCM forks for the free, and it will be a present for a family members upcoming birthday.

I've just started the process of fixing it up, and will be fitting it out with a few Shimano Deore items that I have laying around such as shifters, levers and calipers, and discs, front derraileur, etc. There's also a box somewhere in the garage with stuff like bars, saddles, a Deore crank and rear cassette, rear derraileur, etc...that's going to be quite a mission to find!! :D

The forks were pretty worse for wear, with the stanchions needing a damn good clean and removal of surface rust. The outer sleeve/fork-legs were really scratched and scuffed, but after a lot of sanding they have been painted and came up looking amazing!

The frame was poorly sprayed in black, and when sanding it down, I uncovered all of the stickers and graphics which was a great surprise! Since this pic was taken, I've painstakingly finished masking all of the original graphics and stickers (this took forever!!), and have put the first few coats of paint on today, and wow it's looking great already!

I see that it has a Truativ crank (I know nothing about SRAM btw), The numbers underneath the frame are AP08262818, and HRO638074. Could someone kindly give me a bit of info and/or pics regarding this model?

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed May 24, 2017 11:34 am

Dilemmas. Which one to keep, assuming S-1 is perilously close.

Apollo Everest e-stay circa 1990. Deore LX running gear.
or Diamond Back Ascent, circa 1993 with full STX running gear and Manitou 2 forks. Forks in need of new elastomers.
Pic pending, seems I didn't take any yet.

or put the Manitou fork on the Everest? I had planned on the Everest as a pub/kiddie ride/camping trip bike in near original form, but then I stumbled across the Ascent a few days ago and couldn't resist it because of the forks. I like the look of the Manitou fork but not sure if it will add to the risk of theft given the bike will be out in the open a bit. I like the idea of a reasonable quality bike that doesn't really look like one. Thoughts?
Last edited by bychosis on Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed May 24, 2017 2:51 pm

I'd keep the ascent, I've got a soft spot for classic steel Diamondbacks. However given it's running STX I suspect it's more likely a mid/late 90's model.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed May 24, 2017 7:13 pm

Diamond back with a group set dated 1993
Manitou forks. I assume by the big 2 they are a manitou 2 fork? They might be an upgrade as the front rim is different to the rear too.
The GT (1995) I found kerbside has these white industries cranks on it. Would these be worth hanging on to? I'm not up on retro part values. I was going to flip it, but will hold on to it until I decide wether to swap out the cranks.
I also have this old Gemini Elevation. Not of high value I guess, but if anyone is interest in a full Exage Mountain group pm's accepted!
Exage mtn

So far these and the Everest above only owe me $55 plus a little fuel money.
Last edited by bychosis on Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu May 25, 2017 10:52 am

Found your Diamondback in the 1995 catalog -

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/d/1 ... cument.pdf

Frame is Crmo through out so I would be keeping it if it was mine. However the the Elastomers in the Manitou forks are cactus. Pull them apart and I imagine they will be a melted puddle in the bottom of the fork legs. So a new fork will be on the cards.

The White Industries cranks on the GT are the made by Sugino, not the US made ones. IMO they are better as they are forged not CNC milled.

If you don't want them either the DB frame or the cranks I'll gladly take them.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu May 25, 2017 10:59 am

I have formed a cunning plan, or maybe just a plan.

Remove White Ind cranks from the GT and install them on my Trek Y-11 (in SS mode) as more period correct. Put the Trek's modern SLX hollowtech cranks on my sons Norco, fit the Norco cranks to the GT and sell the GT.
Replace the elastomers in the Manitou forks, tidy up the DB.
Rebuild the Apollo as my 'hack' bike.
Potentially sell my wife's bike and get her to ride the DB, it will be an upgrade in quality.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon May 29, 2017 2:29 pm

bychosis wrote:I also have this old Gemini Elevation. Not of high value I guess, but if anyone is interest in a full Exage Mountain group pm's accepted!
I see some flipper is asking $30 for one on fleabay :wink:

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon May 29, 2017 2:41 pm

Think I saw a similar one on Gumtree too. ;)

SIK

Postby SIK » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:59 pm

I got this 1996 GT Ricochet for free the other day as well as a Giant and Norco that some lady was giving away for free.

I've bought most bits and pieces I need to fix it up apart from the rear derailleur hanger because I have no idea which one it needs. I'm not too concerned about parts being period correct, I just want it comfortable and working well mechanically.

A tad newer is my 2003 GT Avalanche, I know it's not everyone's taste with the stem and handlebars but as a bigger and older guy it's comfortable for me.

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:27 pm

wouldn't really call this retro, just a bit oldish (2004). But after it hanging on the wall for a few years, got it going with some raiding of the parts bin (also known as the GF's scott scale)
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

SIK

Postby SIK » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:56 pm

^ I love loop tail bikes.

Peter07

Postby Peter07 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:27 am

Here is mine, a 1993 Koga Miyata Forerunner with part Deore xt upgrade.

Last edited by AUbicycles on Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mod: Fixed the image linked - using the 'share' button from flicker to obtain the image URL.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:14 pm

Got love lugged old mtb's

Peter07

Postby Peter07 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:27 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:Got love lugged old mtb's
Yep, you're right. I did have a look at some of the newer bikes recently but for some reason they do not have the appeal of the oldies.
brand spankin new 1993 Koga Miyata Forerunner MTB

Jash Rider

Postby Jash Rider » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:47 pm

Picked this up a few weeks ago for $140 off gumtree. Needed new cables, and grips, both of which I already had in stock. It is just a coincidence that the bottle holders and cables are both red. They were for another project, but this required less work (and money) to get into a satisfactory condition. Also added some new brake pads to sure up the stopping ability.

Plan is to get some decent wheels for it and set it up as a dedicated tourer.