Retro MTB Tribe

singlespeedscott

Re: Retro MTB Tribe

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue May 07, 2013 10:12 pm

Plenty of nice Campagnolo ones in that size on eBay.

easybeatle

Postby easybeatle » Fri May 10, 2013 9:00 pm

1999 Trek VRX 300

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sat May 11, 2013 12:27 pm

Almost a shame that frame design has been cheapened by tens of millions of Department store MTBSO's ever since.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

easybeatle

Postby easybeatle » Sat May 11, 2013 1:26 pm

So many department bikes sold yet so few ever make it to a trail. Sad really.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat May 11, 2013 2:12 pm

easybeatle wrote:So many department bikes sold yet so few ever make it to a trail. Sad really.
Because they would break after the first few k's of serious single track riding.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat May 11, 2013 3:06 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
easybeatle wrote:So many department bikes sold yet so few ever make it to a trail. Sad really.
Because they would break after the first few k's of serious single track riding.
Yep, and it's a blessing that we don't see them more around our local trails, given their relatively technical nature (Terrey Hills excepted).

In common with the mindset that thinks a supermarket mountain bike shaped object is good enough for the job, is a failure to take basics like enough water, spare tube, patch kit and pump, along with an underappreciation of the level of difficulty and of the consequences of overestimating your skills.

The few I've met on such plastic-pedalled BSOs at Manly Dam were quite amusing - they thought they were really hot stuff! Rampant egos and not much common sense. :|

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat May 11, 2013 3:21 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
+1, my first bike was a 'dual suspension' Repco, the chain snapped after only 12k!
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sat May 11, 2013 3:40 pm

trailgumby wrote:The few I've met on such plastic-pedalled BSOs at Manly Dam were quite amusing - they thought they were really hot stuff! Rampant egos and not much common sense. :|
then you get the flipside - some over-cashed, & enthused people in full face helmets and long travel down-hill rigs riding the rail trails. They make me laugh more so. Still at least these examples should mean a quality 2nd hand bargain for someone a bit down the track.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Wed May 15, 2013 11:16 am

Thought I'd share a little new old stock that just arrived for my Nishiki build. From the golden age :D
Those are SRAM single speed levers in the background, which are currently black. I plan to de anodise and polish.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed May 15, 2013 8:49 pm

LugNut wrote:Thought I'd share a little new old stock that just arrived for my Nishiki build. From the golden age :D
Those are SRAM single speed levers in the background, which are currently black. I plan to de anodise and polish.
I saw a seller in the UK with a few sets of these for sale

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Wed May 15, 2013 9:24 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
LugNut wrote:Thought I'd share a little new old stock that just arrived for my Nishiki build. From the golden age :D
I saw a seller in the UK with a few sets of these for sale
I picked those up from Ben's Cycles Milwaukee, hard to resists at $99 for a F+R set.

Dimitrizee

Postby Dimitrizee » Wed May 15, 2013 10:08 pm

Seeing those Deore XT brakes reminded me of a crappy old bike I bought off eBay in NSW (and I'm in Vic) all because it had a great set of Deore XT shifters and the rest of the bike was cheap and nasty...all for the measly sum of $25. I tell you the hardest parts I'm trying to source are Exage Mountain anything! Bought a set of thumbies and brake levers from Washington in the US a while ago..none in Australia at all.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed May 15, 2013 11:32 pm

Dimitrizee wrote:Seeing those Deore XT brakes reminded me of a crappy old bike I bought off eBay in NSW (and I'm in Vic) all because it had a great set of Deore XT shifters and the rest of the bike was cheap and nasty...all for the measly sum of $25. I tell you the hardest parts I'm trying to source are Exage Mountain anything! Bought a set of thumbies and brake levers from Washington in the US a while ago..none in Australia at all.
Ive got some exage mtb derailleurs, cranks and brakes somewhere. PM if your interested

albertgaleano

Postby albertgaleano » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:00 am

Finally took the old 'Rocky Mountain Hammer' out after about 10 yrs of sitting in the Garage!!! The bike has Ritchey Logic tubing, Syncros post & Stem, Sachs gripshift & running gear, Rockshox mag 21, Hugi hubs and techlite brake levers....Daisy Hill on 02062013 was raining and full of mud which was a perfect time to take it through it's paces. Next time I should put a knoby tyre on the back :)

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:45 am

OK you retro-freaks ... any idea what I should do with this?

Konya Excell 777 from mid/late '90s ...

26" MTB Cro-Mo tubing, Big knobbies on board, 21 speed Shimano gears,
Right hand 7-speed twist-grip shifter is damaged, otherwise a bit dusty but everything still works...15 minute repair job will probably fix it.
...there's even air in the tyres !!

Not sure of frame sizing but this was the smaller of 2 essentially identical bikes bought when my now adult sons were younger.
Hasn't been seriously ridden for years ....hardly even then, actually...

Although I've never really been into MTBs (mainly CX/road riding) and this thing is taking space in the shed I've recently considered a tentative entry into the MTB world.

Any sensible offer/suggestion considered.
Cheers...
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:50 am

albertgaleano wrote:Finally took the old 'Rocky Mountain Hammer' out after about 10 yrs of sitting in the Garage!!! The bike has Ritchey Logic tubing, Syncros post & Stem, Sachs gripshift & running gear, Rockshox mag 21, Hugi hubs and techlite brake levers....Daisy Hill on 02062013 was raining and full of mud which was a perfect time to take it through it's paces. Next time I should put a knoby tyre on the back :)
Awesome.

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:24 pm

A snap of my first ride on my early 90s Miyata 'RoadRunner', which was a fairly low/mid level Cro-Mo MTB.
Featuring a full set of the legendary 'Exage Country' :lol: , a set of Nitto Moustache bars, 105 bar end shifters and 2.35 26" tyres (like riding on a cloud). Picked up, minus the good bits, on This forum for the princely sum of $50, it now lives at my dads place in Castlemaine and handles the local trails beautifully, I have to say that it is currently my favourite bike.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:39 pm

LugNut wrote:Image
Nice. Like a Bridgestone XO-1

donny70

Postby donny70 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:26 am

I've only got 2 retro rides at the moment got rid of a GT LTS and an IBIS Szazbo to trim the herd.

This is my MC San Andreas and GT STS2 with a bunch of sexy parts on them. Love them both and ride them all the time. Plus a recent pickup of an Alpinestars Al-Mega '92 to restore back to original spec.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:39 am

Wow!
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:29 pm

That MC is a mad mad thing (certainly madder than they are now)...and what is it about German:A forks that make me quiver in a dangerous kind of way?
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

Slow6

Postby Slow6 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:11 am

Bargain of the week in SA.. 80's GT

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/blakevie ... 1021305063

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:29 pm

Slow6 wrote:Bargain of the week in SA.. 80's GT

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/blakevie ... 1021305063
I assume your being sarcastic. Bottom end early 90's stuff.

donny70

Postby donny70 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:09 pm

But it's got bio pace rings!!!!

donny70

Postby donny70 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:58 am

Just dropped off the Alpinestars to Crave Coatings for a complete revamp. Decals coming from the UK. I do love a good Reno project...