Retro MTB Tribe

utedeej

Re: Retro MTB Tribe

Postby utedeej » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:39 am

1988/89 Repco High Sierra in great nick. Think I feel some drop bars and bar ends coming on. 20" c-c seat tube.

Deore F&R derailleurs, Shimano FC-B124 Crankset, Deore U Brake, Deore Cantilever brakes and super flash Deore XT shark fin on the chain stay :) Non original shifters and levers.

Would be a handy tourer.

koen

Postby koen » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:35 am

Nice Repco!

My "new"KHS. The rear stays must have been spread a bit maybe in the laying around without wheels for year? I managed to squeeze them together okay to get a wheel in.

Dylo

Postby Dylo » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:36 pm

Hi all, this is a bit of a long shot but I am chasing a lugged early/mid 80s mountain bike/atb to set up as a commuter/lightweight tourer. I was first introduced to this style of bike when I rode my Mum's old Kuwahara from that period (that she, along with my Dad on a similar KHS, rode all through SE Asia, India, Nepal, Tibet and parts of Europe in the late 80s) for a while as a commuter and enjoyed the ride more than any other rigid bike, but unfortunately it was a bit small.

I was lucky recently to pick up a Raleigh "Trek" with mostly original components (with owner's name engraved in the SA stem and Araya rims!) It appears to have faux lugs (I think that's what they are called), at least they look too tapered and thin to be structural, and simple pressed dropouts. I'm planning on setting it up as a single speed (as the drivetrain is not original) klunker style bike with moto bars and either the original Dia-Compe cantis or perhaps a coaster brake for some fun off road shredding. I find the geometry (which is, interestingly, very similar to that employed by Jeff Jones in his Plus model, a bike I would LOVE to be able to afford) to be extremely effective at isolating the rider from rough terrain.

Ideally I would love something with slightly nicer finishing details (forged dropouts, bottle bosses and rack mounts if possible) and tubing, though I'm not too fussed about the latter as it will be ridden with some kind of load at all times so I probably won't notice much difference in ride quality. Not too fussed about the fork crown, would prefer lugged but I would be happy with unicrown. I would like to have disc brake tabs welded onto it and set it up similar to Ultraromance's Crust Romanceur bike with fenders, wide rims and Rat Trap Passes, at least that is the dream, however tyre clearance will be the limiting factor as I know these bikes struggle to clear anything wider than 2.25" with real world mud clearances. I plan to run a front and possibly rear rack and sew a frame bag for the bike and use it for all my lightweight off road touring adventures until I save up enough money for a Jones Plus (which will take a while!) However is someone produces a beautiful frame in pristine condition I will not be modifying it, don't worry!

I'm 179cm, so I need a reasonably large frame with this style of bike to get the bars high enough and far enough away from me, around 22" would be perfect (I know, the size everyone wants!) I have a 1991 GT Tachyon with all original parts (except bottom bracket and headset) and a spare brand new 700D tyre I would be willing to trade for a complete bike. It has a 61cm top tube, so is a bit big for me with the original 130mm flip flop stem, so I would recommend it for someone over 185cm (please don't swap out that stem!!!)

Thanks,
Dylan :)

Dylo

Postby Dylo » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:59 pm

Sorry for the double post, forgot to mention that I am located in Bendigo in Vic, but can travel to Melbourne. I have never bought a bike from interstate, so not sure if courier costs would be prohibitive.

Thanks,

commando

Postby commando » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:00 pm

Dylo wrote: I was lucky recently to pick up a Raleigh "Trek" with mostly original components
Hi Dylan,

Can't help you finding a bike locally, I've got a fully lugged mtb but it ain't worth shipping from Adelaide. I've got a Raleigh Trek as well, though mine doesn't have cantis, still has caliper. It too is all original as far as I can tell, got if from the original owner. It's got steel 650B wheels and 'Bullmoose' bars. BTW, there's someone on the Retro Mtb Facebook page in Melbourne looking for Bullmooses if you've got 'em.

Would love to see a pick of your 'Trek'. I'm about to pull mine out of the shed to fix up for my brother-in-law.

Dylo

Postby Dylo » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:30 pm

Hmmm, either my Raleigh is not as original as I thought or it is a much higher spec model! It has 26" wheels with aluminium Araya rims (nice and stiff with spoke hole extrusions as you see on motorbike rims) and 'Suzue' alloy hubs. Also a nice Sturmey Archer alloy BMX clamp stem with steel quill (so not an integrated bull moose bar unfortunately). Strange that mine has cantilever posts and yours does not? And that is amazing that yours has 650b wheels, must have been very rare at the time! Tom Ritchey is the only builder I was aware of that used 650b in a mountain bike application. Does yours feature quite ornate (but not particularly high quality) lugs? I'm now thinking they must be real, how else could the frame be constructed if they aren't?

I'm starting to think I will probably just set up this bike as a commuter/tourer. It is fun to ride off road, but I already have a very good mountain bike and my time to ride single track is quite limited and I think I enjoy riding the modern bike more when I get the chance. I will likely set the Raleigh up with some more swept bars, perhaps some flipped Nitto Albatross's to give a more aero position, and perhaps Rat Trap Passes and fenders (although they are rarely needed in Bendigo!) Would look pretty cool I think, like an old 10 speed townie on steroids with the fat slicks! Perhaps down the track I will have disc tabs welded onto the frame and set it up with dynamo lighting. That would be a fantastic mixed terrain touring set up that Ultraromance would approve of!

Do I need to upload an image to a photo sharing website to post it or can I post directly from a folder on my computer? I only have a phone to use as a camera, so the photo I have is nothing special. And as I mentioned, the drivetrain is not original and clashes quite horribly with the rest of the build, as does the saddle (needs a Brooks!), and the dull grey paint looks much nicer in person. Hopefully will look a bit better with not much work, and I am more inclined to post a photo after that. It's funny you called it 'Trek' as when I first saw it in the volunteer run bike shop I bought it from I got very excited as I thought it was an early lugged Trek, the graphics on the seat tube are so similar! I do like the Raleigh head badge though, and the frame is in good condition. From a distance no one will know ;)

Thanks,

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:13 am

A converted Sunn Urge mtb on 2.4 Holy Rollers - my wet weather banger

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:29 pm

Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

metalrideroz

Postby metalrideroz » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:24 pm

jaseyjase wrote:A converted Sunn Urge mtb on 2.4 Holy Rollers - my wet weather banger

Would ride.

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:59 pm

That is a good looking bike (we'l I'd want gears on it).
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

captnslow

Postby captnslow » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:33 pm

my '97 - '99 Giant MCM D980

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun May 08, 2016 8:58 am

Ooh that's nice. Is the rear shock placement as much of an issue as it looks?
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

utedeej

Postby utedeej » Sun May 08, 2016 7:50 pm

Finally finished by Diamondback Apex. It is a TT brushed satin with the Snake Stays. 19" seattube.

Running full 8speed XT groupset except for the seatpost and headset. I'd like to get a more original seat QR also - actually looks like a bolt in the advert below. Also has the original Bontrager style seat.

It's only taken me 2 years+ to get this one done :oops: . Bad photo cause it's pouring here. Can't wait to take it for a spin. :D

Also found this old scan of the Axis.

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Sun May 08, 2016 8:22 pm

the original was an avenir bolt up seat calmp. The stem should be a tioga ahead. I used to have the Aixs TR, onlt difference to the Axis pictured was it was blue and had LX crank and front Der, plus manitou 3 forks (plus onza bar ends and onza pedals.

utedeej

Postby utedeej » Sun May 08, 2016 8:44 pm

mikgit wrote:the original was an avenir bolt up seat calmp. The stem should be a tioga ahead. I used to have the Aixs TR, onlt difference to the Axis pictured was it was blue and had LX crank and front Der, plus manitou 3 forks (plus onza bar ends and onza pedals.
Cheers, I'll keep a look out for the avenir. I've got a Syncros cattlehead stem running on it. Always wanted one of these when I rod mtbs a lot, so looking forward to that first spin.

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Sun May 08, 2016 9:17 pm

they are great bikes, I loved mine...only dont have it as I was moving interstate and gave it to a mate who needed a bike.
Mine was an 18in and came with a 135mm stem.

Although I found that bonrager seat to be very uncomfotable

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Mon May 16, 2016 11:40 am

Few small changes - replaced the odd Diatech (collar/conical washer) headset with a Ritchey to be matchy matchy with the cockpit, black grips, tundra, and some round wheels, Alex rims to XT hubs

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun May 22, 2016 1:01 pm

Nice

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun May 22, 2016 1:03 pm

Ok this is a bit of a pipe dream, but does anyone have a large frame vintage mtb that they would like to part ways with? I am after something with a 1" steerer, steel frame, mounts for mudguards and vertical rear dropouts.

roosta

Postby roosta » Sun May 22, 2016 11:44 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:Ok this is a bit of a pipe dream, but does anyone have a large frame vintage mtb that they would like to part ways with? I am after something with a 1" steerer, steel frame, mounts for mudguards and vertical rear dropouts.
I have a late 90's "Apollo LSX 1.0" - 50ST, 56TT (stickered as 21L)
or
An approx. 1988 "GIANT Rider" - 57ST, 59TT
or
An approx 1989 "Southern Cross Decathelon MKII" 54ST, 59TT (Not Southern Star)

All are steel, vertical dropouts, have mudguard mounts - and I'm guessing the Southern Cross and GIANT are 1" steerer based on the age - but I've never disassembled the headsets to check.

See viewtopic.php?f=25&t=89653&p=1341453#p1341453 for more details and pics of the giant and apollo, and prices posted there are negotiable. swaps also considered. I can get pics of the Southern Cross if necessary. All located in Caboolture.
88 Graecross Pathfinder
89 Southern Cross Decathelon MKII
95 Giant YukonSE
96 Shogun Trailbreaker 3
09 Shogun Katana

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon May 23, 2016 6:50 am

Thanks for the offer but not quite what I am after. I should of said I want a good quality DB cr-mo frame as well.

Madrider

Postby Madrider » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:24 pm

This my Retro MTB, Airborne Ti Hag SS

Going to ride in the SSWC 2016 at Woodend in October :D

No idea of actual year but would guess early to mid 2000's I've had it for about 8 years

ImageAirborne Single Speed by aussierider43, on Flickr

metalrideroz

Postby metalrideroz » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:33 pm

Spotted this thing poking out of a pile of garbage.

Last edited by metalrideroz on Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

utedeej

Postby utedeej » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:53 pm

Nice, always liked those. Esp the yellow version.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:55 am

Blimey, the things people chuck away. Despite my best efforts, and low scrap prices haven't found anything near that value yet. The best I've done is what would be one or two steps from the bottom at the lbs (Alivio/Acera level)
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.