Retro MTB Tribe

caneye

Re: Retro MTB Tribe

Postby caneye » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:21 pm

hi .. i've got a 15yo Raceline Extreme dual suspension bike. (does it classify as retro?)
bought it from a mate some 5 yrs back and never put any serious miles on it until the past 2 months.

i think the Rockshox Judy on it is cactus cos it keeps bottoming out. Because of its age, I'm reluctant to throw too much money to fix or service it. i've been using it on weekends and planning to do some more club XC rides. at the back of my mind, i'm also thinking of upgrading the bike in the next 6 mths (but not in a hurry to do so). therefore, just want to spend enough money to continue "learning" and training on the bike and to complete XC races.

Is the below a reasonable replacement for the Judy?
to make sure that it fits, i should be looking at wheel size (ie 26-inch), quick release .. steerer tube diameter, is that right? anything else that might prevent it from fitting into my old bike?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Manitou-M-TH ... SwB-1YwIwP

the alternative is something like a Suntour XCT or XCR ..

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SR-SUNTOUR-M ... 1923841113

TIA!

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:49 pm

manitou, yes, suntour, no.

Disc brake or v-brake? ifthe latter you have to have a fork with the right brake mounts.
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:24 am

XCRs do the job well enough, but if you can afford the extra i would go with the Manitou. As mikgit said, it also depends on what braking you go with.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

mitchj

Re: Tip Shop Find

Postby mitchj » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:32 pm

A few days ago, I was looking around a tip shop, & amongst all the Huffys, Dunlops, 16 inch kids bikes & other B.S.O's, & I found this sorry looking critter-
I wasn't sure what it was, but after too much time on Google Images, I recon it's A 1989 Specialized Rockhopper. Complete Exage Mountain group set (which I'd never heard of) including pedals, the under-chainstay U brake, rack mounts on the seat stays & forks, drive side drop out "filled in" (which I'd never seen before), "keyhole" shaped seat post slot, off set guide hole in the BB, off-set down tube cable guides, fish-mouthed seat tube & the yellow paint under two (& in places three) layers of paint all match with pics I found of similar bikes. (If I've got it wrong, let me know....). It also has Wienmann rims with high flange Joytec hubs & stainless steel spokes. Some more pics-
Very colourful BB- I think the yellow is the original. Serial numbers don't mean anything apparently. Not sure about the chisel mark either....
It also has a stem I've never seen before & couldn't find on any images-the front brake cable goes through the bar bolt & over a little roller-
Good score for $10, another oldie worth saving. Gonna be stripping it down real soon, cant wait to ride it!

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:42 pm

Cool find. I've seen dropouts like those on a lot of MTBs and road bikes, why they have that filled in section i have no idea. All the ones i've seen have been on bikes that are well down from the top of the range, but also much better than entry junkers.

mitchj

Postby mitchj » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:54 pm

Maybe it's meant to make it easier to line up the rear wheel or something...not sure!

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:21 pm

I am only guessing but I think it was to ensure that the early Shimano Index System worked properly every time after the rear wheel was removed and replaced

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:31 pm

That makes sense. Modern dropouts have very little wiggle room.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Peter07

Postby Peter07 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:55 pm

mitchj wrote:Maybe it's meant to make it easier to line up the rear wheel or something...not sure!
This exactly. (some older bikes had screws)
brand spankin new 1993 Koga Miyata Forerunner MTB

alrsv1

Postby alrsv1 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:31 pm

Bought this M2000 new in 1992 from Evans Cycles when I lived in the UK (mail order out of a magazine, remember that?), since then it's been through 2 mates and a few different configurations and colours: MTB, fixie, 1x9 commuter, pub-bike, black, grey... So for it's 25th birthday I though I'd restore it and get some new paint, and managed to find a Deore XT groupset with thumbies, which is what it came with in '92.

1997 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Frezoni MAX,
1992 Cannondale M2000, 201Pivot Mach5.5.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:10 pm

Cracking paint job.

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:40 pm

Looks like it has the 1-1/4 headset?
mate had one of those, well a bottom end one, all white, that got warranty replaced by I blue-blue fade one, then that one got replaced by a black-green fade. I think he still has that one.
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

alrsv1

Postby alrsv1 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:16 pm

mikgit wrote:Looks like it has the 1-1/4 headset?
mate had one of those, well a bottom end one, all white, that got warranty replaced by I blue-blue fade one, then that one got replaced by a black-green fade. I think he still has that one.
Yep, not that easy to find headsets, or decent stems, hence the adapter with the modern stem.
1997 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Frezoni MAX,
1992 Cannondale M2000, 201Pivot Mach5.5.

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:00 am

yeah, my mates original frame was 1in with steel fork, his replacement was 1-1/4 with pepperoni fork, he soon got a manitou 3..then his next replacement frame, had to wait an age because of the 1-1/4 wasn't n stock.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:04 pm

Love the Dale. Re the headset, I have seen plenty of 1 1/4' XT threaded headsets on ebay.

tsep

Postby tsep » Sat May 19, 2018 8:51 am

Hi all.

Spotted what looked like an interesting lugged steel mountain bike on Gtree and managed to get the guy to box and send it down to me. Now I have the challenge of trying to identify it!
The thing that caught my eye was the crimped top and seat post tubes, have only ever seen that on high end Italian road bikes.

any clues would be appreciated.
cheers

[img]http://s1067.photobucket.com/user/roon1 ... r.jpg.html[/img]

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat May 19, 2018 10:07 am

tsep wrote:Hi all.

Spotted what looked like an interesting lugged steel mountain bike on Gtree and managed to get the guy to box and send it down to me. Now I have the challenge of trying to identify it!
The thing that caught my eye was the crimped top and seat post tubes, have only ever seen that on high end Italian road bikes.

cheers

Welcome outside. Photobucket is busted & it is preferable if you don't use it again. Reasons why are discussed in this thread: Do NOT use Photobucket

Current alternatives are discussed in in How to post images on the Australian Cycling Forums

tsep

Postby tsep » Sat May 19, 2018 10:58 am

Ok thanks.
Sorry for the rookie move!

Cheers

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:56 am

A new addition to the garage. Liked the Repack/Klunker vibe with a slightly more modern twist.

Has had a few upgrades from original, like seatpost, saddle, bars and stem but looks to be original derailleurs, shifters etc.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

commando

Postby commando » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:09 pm

Hi Tsep,

Any luck finding out what this is? I see it's got Tange forks.
Pretty neat looking thing, lugged mtbs are always stylish.
tsep wrote:Hi all.

cheers

tsep

Postby tsep » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:02 pm

[quote="commando"]Hi Tsep,

Any luck finding out what this is? I see it's got Tange forks.
Pretty neat looking thing, lugged mtbs are always stylish.

Hi commando
sorry didn't get back to you sooner!
No luck with the search, but have replaced some of the parts and now use it as a nice and sturdy commuting machine.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:39 pm

My Spesh

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:24 am

nice

Jash Rider

Postby Jash Rider » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:58 am

I bought this Trek 810 off gumtree. I’m the second owner. Added a few bits and pieces to make it a solid off road tourer. As it sits it’s under $400.

alexhunter123711

Postby alexhunter123711 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:17 pm

Hi guys, I have a shogun trailbreaker 3, trailbreaker SP and Avanti lightning that I am looking at doing up a bit, any recommendations on where to start/ what to add/ replace? Also I was going to take a couple of parts from each for e.g one has a buckled wheel so probably only keep 1 or two, which would be the best ones to keep?