Retro MTB Tribe

singlespeedscott

Re: Retro MTB Tribe

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:18 pm

If only it wasn't made for midgets.

Steve F

Postby Steve F » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:04 pm

Steve F wrote:Picked this up yesterday. It's a 89 model Ricardo Bushbike, I was looking for something to chop up for parts for the recumbant trike I'm building but when I saw this I had to just buy it ($20) to restore and daily ride :)

It has some cool/strange things like the under frame rear brake, elliptical chain rings and cr-mo frame. The main reason I decided to save it is it's an Australian made frame/bike, made down in Adelaide. They only made them for two years and then imported the frames from Taiwan and dropped the cr-mo, under frame brake and elliptical chain ring and went to budget/standard setup.

I put some air in the tyres and took it for a qucik ride, it's an 18 speed and shifts nice and feels nice to ride. It does need the stem bearings done though, or at least greased and tightened as well as new tyres as these have rotted. I'll get those few things done over the next week and then ride it for a bit before I pull it down to clean, paint and polish.

Cheers
Steve
Now powdercoated and ready to slowly go back together as parts are cleaned and polished, also have most of the decals ready to print out :) Running these cheapie wheels off of a bike that donated it's parts for my trike build until I can find a correct front wheel and then I'll rebuild the stock rear (and front if needed) wheel with new spokes etc.

Cheers
Steve
Last edited by Steve F on Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pentlandexile

Postby pentlandexile » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:08 pm

Looks good Steve.

Now then, anyone down in Vic fancy this?

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/melbourn ... 1026146106" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Long day's journey into alt-bars

Dimitrizee

Postby Dimitrizee » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:54 am

Would that GT frame be for solid forks or front suspension? Don't know my GT's that well..

brettels

Postby brettels » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:20 am

Dimitrizee wrote:Would that GT frame be for solid forks or front suspension? Don't know my GT's that well..
Either...if suspension, not more than 80mm travel.
GT obsession......

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:16 pm

brettels wrote:
Dimitrizee wrote:Would that GT frame be for solid forks or front suspension? Don't know my GT's that well..
Either...if suspension, not more than 80mm travel.
According to http://www.bikepedia.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; it's probably a 1996 model -

http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/Bike ... el=Pantera+(02" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)#.Uhl2UWQayc0

http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/Bike ... el=Pantera+(01" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)#.Uhl23GQayc0

It could of been bought with a rigid GT fork or a Rock Shox Quadra.

pentlandexile

Postby pentlandexile » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:53 pm

They wouldn't have still been putting them out with u-brakes in 1996 though would they?

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:39 pm

pentlandexile wrote:They wouldn't have still been putting them out with u-brakes in 1996 though would they?
I think that model has Canti's

pentlandexile

Postby pentlandexile » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:41 pm

The listing said it has a u-brake, but, you can't see it in the pic. I think it must be like this '92 Pantera, with the u-brake on the seat stays.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 6&t=143906" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyway it's been sold now.

:(

Dimitrizee

Postby Dimitrizee » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:04 pm

A little while ago, I bought some components from a fellow on eBay, who before that bought an older Shogun MTB from me (just bought some parts back off it!) and in his driveway had a trailer full of rubish for the tip... What caught my eye were some good semi slick tyres for a MTB and after a little more digging (after asking permission that is) found some nice goodies llike Shimano 600 (3 colour) parts, along with 105 brakes etc, Mavic wheel set with 600 hubs and various other bits and pieces. Among that load was this Carerra frame. What I liked about it was the U brake behind the BB. Any bike / frame I see with that has to be mine straight away! Tried to do some searching for more info but nothing comes up; more info for later model Carerra bikes but nothing on this vintage. It has Reynolds 501 labels on the frame/forks (not pictured but I have them). I asked the original owner if he placed them on the frame and he said no. He did work at a bike shop and did have this bike from new. Frame size is just a tad small for him and that's why he was throwing it out. No other parts on it but I do have some Shimano Exage Mountain parts the will be used.

Anybody have any info on what it came out with or even better a pic? Thanks in advance....

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:51 pm

Nice.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:20 am

Dimitrizee wrote:Image
That reminds me of the frames that John Abeni used to bring in from Italy back in the 80's which were derivative of the GT designs. I think it might be worth your while getting in touch with Europa Cycles in Sydney and they 'might' be able to help you out.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

pentlandexile

Postby pentlandexile » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:12 pm

The Pantera's back! With u-brake and fork.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/melbourn ... 1026537268" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

donny70

Postby donny70 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:54 pm

Just finished this little beauty which I've been riding around on with some retro styled imagery to suit. Goes like a rocket but will take a while to get used to the long handlebar stem and no suspension.

Came up a treat in the end with all the nos parts it looks like it came out of a shop. The general parts list includes DX groupset, Mavic XC717 on deore hubs, Panaracer smoke/dart, Flite saddle, Zoom Brahma Bars and Magura Racelines. Modded the original Racelines to take machined hs33 levers.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:15 pm

donny70 wrote:
Great bike and awesome pics :) .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:43 pm

That looks great.

floody

Postby floody » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:51 am

This is my latest project, its a 1992 Mongoose IBOC Team. They're pretty rare and when one came up for sale in L.A. I snapped it up and shipped it out. I had one BITD and haven't seen another since. Top tube is actually triangular in section which is fairly unique.

Build is going to be M900 XTR, have everything but cranks and front derailleur. Will be fitting a leather (not suede) turbo and a more period seatpost (was just what I had lying around).

franco cozzo

Postby franco cozzo » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:07 am

my first post ....so may as well post my ride: a '97 diamondback ascent 3.0 dual suspension
received her in very good condition with all stock parts including drivetrain, saddle, tyres, pads etc. only the shifters had been upgraded other than that as it was originally released...recently have put on a selle italia flite saddle and some maxxis aspens for a bit more of a faster roll....
have done 3,500 kms on her since i got her last xmas and shes still going strong although currently needs a little TLC atm (freehub sticking, shifter barrel adjustor has seized)
can't fault the stx-rc groupset - makes it really ridable and i can easily put down 80-100km on this thing on one of my rides..
will post some pics of my summer beater (mid 90s hardtail) when shes a bit closer to finished ;)

Velo13

Postby Velo13 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:59 am

floody wrote:This is my latest project, its a 1992 Mongoose IBOC Team. They're pretty rare and when one came up for sale in L.A. I snapped it up and shipped it out. I had one BITD and haven't seen another since. Top tube is actually triangular in section which is fairly unique.

Build is going to be M900 XTR, have everything but cranks and front derailleur. Will be fitting a leather (not suede) turbo and a more period seatpost (was just what I had lying around).

looks like Yeti built those for Mongoose ...

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:25 am

franco cozzo wrote:my first post ....so may as well post my ride: a '97 diamondback ascent 3.0 dual suspension
received her in very good condition with all stock parts including drivetrain, saddle, tyres, pads etc. only the shifters had been upgraded other than that as it was originally released...recently have put on a selle italia flite saddle and some maxxis aspens for a bit more of a faster roll....
have done 3,500 kms on her since i got her last xmas and shes still going strong although currently needs a little TLC atm (freehub sticking, shifter barrel adjustor has seized)
can't fault the stx-rc groupset - makes it really ridable and i can easily put down 80-100km on this thing on one of my rides..
will post some pics of my summer beater (mid 90s hardtail) when shes a bit closer to finished ;)
Welcome to the forums franco. Nice ride, even if the focus is a little off. With your particular host, select "show codes" then copy "Hotlink for Forums (1)" & you get this

franco cozzo

Postby franco cozzo » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:59 am

find_bruce wrote:Welcome to the forums franco. Nice ride, even if the focus is a little off. With your particular host, select "show codes" then copy "Hotlink for Forums (1)" & you get this..
thanks for the welcome and heads up in re linking... :)

i'll blame the crappy iphone camera for out of focusness....will take some better shots and details of some of the bits and repost again later...mainly just wanted to say hi ;)

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:51 pm

Hey franco, do you live in Northa Melbourne or Foot is grey :lol:

cray-

Postby cray- » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:24 am

Mugglechops wrote:Hey franco, do you live in Northa Melbourne or Foot is grey :lol:
North Melbourne? Damn that's going back a-ways, it was already Brunswick & Foot-a-scray when I was a kid and that was a long time ago. Sorry for taking it off topic again.

Franco, welcome & nice ride.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:44 pm

cray- wrote:
Mugglechops wrote:Hey franco, do you live in Northa Melbourne or Foot is grey :lol:
North Melbourne? Damn that's going back a-ways, it was already Brunswick & Foot-a-scray when I was a kid and that was a long time ago. Sorry for taking it off topic again.

Franco, welcome & nice ride.
Classic Adds for sure. I only remember the North Melbourne one but I left Victoria in 1996.

pentlandexile

Postby pentlandexile » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:26 am

If anyone's interested I just listed the Rockhopper and some other kit in the Market Place thread. Too many projects, not enough cash. Mods, delete this if it's out of order.

Ben