New bike options

Mountainbiking central

New bike options

Postby adamr » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:06 pm

I am looking for an inexpensive but good quality hard tail as my first serious mountain bike. I have been looking on ebay for the occasional mint condition bike that comes up in my area (Adelaide). I missed out on an excellent XTC1 a month or so ago.

Anyway, I posted a question about a Wilier MTB sold through wiggle: http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58543. I saw today a 'shop soiled' (so minor as to be unnoticeable) Cube Ltd Pro (2011, I think) for $1299.

That seems pretty good too. Both bikes have Reba RL forks. I have been told that I should be looking for quality forks above other components (presumably because they are more expensive to upgrade later).

Both are 26" wheel bikes. The Wilier is carbon, the Cube is alloy. I assume the Wilier is lighter, but I don't have any particular knowledge of that.

Am I on a reasonable track, or will I regret getting a 26" as my first serious bike. Would I be better off with a lower spec 29er (29ers being much rarer on deep discount)?
adamr

by BNA » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:02 pm

BNA

Re: New bike options

Postby Mugglechops » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:02 pm

Nothing wrong with 26in wheels for your first bike. The wilier looks pretty good.
Mugglechops

Postby silentbutdeadly » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:09 am

There's nothing to be lost from going to a 26er instead of 29er. Especially in your part of the world. The Cube is a rather good deal at that price.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle
silentbutdeadly

Postby antipodean » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:02 pm

This is on special till monday, I have the 2012 model and its fantastic.

http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/KHB ... a-29er-mtb
2013 Oppy SL
2013 Boardman CX Pro
2012 KHS Yuma 29er
antipodean

Return to MTB