Carbon handlebars

Mountainbiking central

Carbon handlebars

Postby ab1981 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:52 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to replace the handlebars on my Giant XTC hardtail. I've come up with the following options
FSA K-Force
Pro XCR
or
Truvativ Noir T40

I'm looking for a riser set not flat. Anyone had any experience with these bars? Or could anyone recommend a carbon set of bars under $150?

Cheers
Adam
ab1981

by BNA » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:27 pm

BNA

Re: Carbon handlebars

Postby Crittski » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:27 pm

Enve riser bar for $160
Santa Cruz Blur TRc XTR
Volagi Liscio Ultegra
Crittski

Postby limetang » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:41 pm

I got me an Easton EC70 carbon riser bar from torpedo7 for about $90. Very nice, stiff, light and they look sweet!!
limetang

Postby poohbear » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:10 pm

does this makes the bike a tad lighter? any other usages?
poohbear

Postby andylo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:15 pm

In photography, carbon tripod save very little re weight, but more importantly it help to absorb unwanted vibration. So I would assume it would be the same with bike. Save little weight, but more importantly it makes the ride more pleasant, especially to the arms?

Just my guess :P
andylo

Postby andylo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:08 pm

andylo

Postby trailgumby » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:25 pm

I have some EC70s on my Rize. They are indeed stiff, and save a few grams. However, the EC70 seatpost is actually heavier than the Thomson Elite I took out. Yeah, I know... matchy matchy... vanity...

The Thomson seatposts and handlebars are top shelf kit, minus the top shelf price, and I'd go that way next time.
trailgumby

Postby limetang » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:45 pm

Indeed they take a bit of the vibration away! Funny about the Thompson stuff though, Ive had no end of problems with my saddle rails sliding back nearly every ride despite ridiculous torque (Fizik tundra by the way) . I was thinking of swapping for a EC70
limetang

Postby trailgumby » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:53 pm

Tried carbon paste? (Yes I know Thomson is alloy.)

After today's bicycle fit session with Blair at The Body Mechanic I'm now after some 40mm rise EC 70s. :roll: :wink:
trailgumby

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:43 am

limetang wrote:Indeed they take a bit of the vibration away! Funny about the Thompson stuff though, Ive had no end of problems with my saddle rails sliding back nearly every ride despite ridiculous torque (Fizik tundra by the way) . I was thinking of swapping for a EC70

The problem is the Fizik...not the seatpost!!! OK I might be jesting a bit but it is worth noting that (as well as being fundamentally uncomfortable) they do actually have narrow-ish rails which the Thompson doesn't have much time for. That's why on my Anthem, Giant supplied two different seatpost couplers so you could change out the saddle and still use the seatpost. I'm still using the seatpost (still saving for another Thomp) but the saddle is long gone (actually about to see duty on a mate's old Rincon).

As for carbon bars...most are more flexy than their equivalent model in alloy and not that much lighter either. Add to that the palaver about alloy to carbon joinery at the stem, cockpit component fitting etc and the inevitable crash and I could convert temptation into financial outlay. However if I was running a rigid front end then I'd seriously consider it.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle
silentbutdeadly

Return to MTB