Training for First MTB event -C2C

env1romelza

Training for First MTB event -C2C

Postby env1romelza » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:04 pm

Howdy,

So, I've set myself a goal but not too sure how to train for it... I've signed up to do the 4 day Cape2Cape MTB in WA in October. I've been riding MTB since about January and just love it. Problem is I work away and am only ever home one week in three! I had a bike freighted to site that I can ride but with the days getting shorter I'm getting up in the dark, and getting home in the dark. There's a gym here and it has an ok spin bike but no programs. I have an average level of fitness and strength, my longest MTB ride was 40km,30km,0km,25km over four days entailing parts of the cape route. I'm hoping to do some smaller MTB events leading up to the c2c if my roster permits.
Should I be concentrating on the spin bike and doing some strength training or should I be looking at cross training in these early days? I'm a bit lost when it comes to using a gym so I hope someone can help point me in the right direction. My aim is to simply complete the entire course without coming dead last!
Thanks mel
Mel

trailgumby

Re: Training for First MTB event -C2C

Postby trailgumby » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:37 pm

Hi Mel, best training by far will be to train on the bike. You can get some pretty decent lights for night riding quite cheap these days.

One of these for the bars

25% OFF at the moment if you use the BNA discount code: AUDirect0422

One of these for the helmet

I saw the site admin (AUBicycles) with these on our night ride last Thursday and the output is excellent!

They compare very well with these:

I'd strongly recommend helmet + bars - you can see much better with both as they are complementary, plus there's a reason they won't let you out on the race track at night without a backup light. :wink:

Sent you a PM on training and nutrition

env1romelza

Re: Training for First MTB event -C2C

Postby env1romelza » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:38 pm

Thanks ill look into these. I have a cheap light this shines a nice circle about 2m in front so I can see a bit of ground moments before I ride over it...lol very ineffective!
Mel