Rockhopper 29'er

Mountainbiking central

Rockhopper 29'er

Postby Uba Tracker » Sun May 12, 2013 8:58 pm

G'day everyone,
Recently bought a Speshy RH 29'er to get back into MTBing after a long break. Nice bike for the most part. I was familiarising myself with the fork adjustments and saw a diagram online that showed the lockout control's range of movement to be 90°. That being free at 3 o'clock (looking down at it from the bars) and locked at 6 o'clock. Mine has a range that extends form 11 o'clock to 7 o'clock. I'm curious to know if that's the same as other RH's or is mine kinda busted and just floating around with only the fork crown to stop it. I should add that the lockout works (sort of) and when it is supposedly unlocked the forks are really quite stiff and very slow to rebound, the spring preload is currently set at it's lowest too.

cheers

Harry

p.s. I know they're crap forks, and I will replace them when I can, but if it's a warranty issue I'd like to sort it while I still can.
A bad day's riding beats a good day's work everytime
Uba Tracker

by BNA » Sun May 12, 2013 9:03 pm

BNA

Re: Rockhopper 29'er

Postby trailgumby » Sun May 12, 2013 9:03 pm

Rebound can affect overall damping. If it is too heavily damped, this may be something to look at.

The rebound adjustment lever should be down the bottom of the fork, on the same side as the lockout lever. I'd recommend setting this to minimum (ie, fastest rebound) to start with.
trailgumby

Re: Rockhopper 29'er

Postby Uba Tracker » Mon May 13, 2013 7:53 am

Hi Trailgumby,
Sorry for omitting some important info. The forks are SR Suntour XCM (full code is SF13-XCM-LO-29-100H) and unfortunately the rebound rate is fixed so I don't have much latitude in terms of adjustment. I guess I'm most interested to know if other users of this model fork can confirm the operating range of the lock out lever. It might be that mine is defective hence the lever just floating around.

cheers

Harry
A bad day's riding beats a good day's work everytime
Uba Tracker

Return to MTB