Best Tracks in Brisbane???

Mountainbiking central

Best Tracks in Brisbane???

Postby albertgaleano » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:08 pm

Back on the MTB after about 10yrs!!! Is there any good tracks in the Brisbane Area apart from Daisy Hill????
albertgaleano

by BNA » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:32 pm

BNA

Re: Best Tracks in Brisbane???

Postby RonK » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:32 pm

Check with your lbs - there was a good book of mtb trails available.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Postby albertgaleano » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:25 pm

RonK wrote:Check with your lbs - there was a good book of mtb trails available.

Thanks mate, I rode Daisy Hill last Sunday, This Sunday I might give Bunya a go!!! I haven't been up there since around 1999' so I will see how it is.
I got my 25 year old Rocky Mountain Steel MTB up and running :)
albertgaleano

Postby trailgumby » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:51 pm

:lol:

It's infectious, and addictive!
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby albertgaleano » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:03 pm

Been doing the Roadie thing the last few years and I am glad I got the old MTB up and running!!! What a Thrill :lol:
albertgaleano

Postby albertgaleano » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:20 am

Just been on a loop through Whites Hill, Mt Gravatt and Toohey's Forest. Wow, I can't believe how much Toohey's has changed over the last 10/15 yrs....What happened to all the paths, single tracks etc up there???, I done a few loops and found some paths after riding on the cement bike path that took over the old trails :(
albertgaleano

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:23 am

Plenty at Bunya and Gap Creek. Just park the car in one of the car parks on Bunya Rd or at Gap Creek and follow your nose.

Here's a STRAVA link for my last ride at Bunya, it's been a while…sigh. It pretty much covers all the best tracks there.

http://app.strava.com/activities/37921185
Last edited by singlespeedscott on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
singlespeedscott

Postby clydesmcdale » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:37 am

White’s Hill, Mt Gravatt and Toohey Forest are all off limits to MTBing with the exception of the paved/bitumen paths. You can find all the legal trails via the council maps... although they’re not really trails, more weekend roll with the kids. Shame cause I live right near all of these places and would love a network of single trails close by.

However I do understand the council’s/eco pioneer’s point of view about maintaining these areas as they are. An influx of rider’s to these inner-city forest could potentially cause some damage, due to the expected numbers they would get. Rangers have been known to hand out $500 fines for riding on any of the walking tracks. Best to stay away.

to OP, also try Bayview. Maps available at http://www.mtbdirt.com.au/
Last edited by clydesmcdale on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
clydesmcdale

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:39 am

There is also Iron Bark gully
singlespeedscott

Postby albertgaleano » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:30 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:Plenty at Bunya and Gap Creek. Just park the car in one of the car parks on Bunya Rd or at Gap Creek and follow your nose.

Here's a STRAVA link for my last ride at Bunya, it's been a while…sigh. It pretty much covers all the best tracks there.

http://app.strava.com/activities/37921185

Sweet, thanks mate. Has Bunya changes much over the years??? We used to meet up at Ironbark Gully Carpark and do a few loops, keen to give it a go in the next few weeks
albertgaleano

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:27 pm

There's been plenty of track work done and Bunya and Gap Creek over the last 6 or so years and they are certainly not as rough and ready as they use to be.
singlespeedscott

Postby Wakatuki » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:43 pm

If you fancy heading further North to the Sunshine Coast
http://www.sunshinecoast.qld.gov.au/sit ... king-guide
There might be a local one with your council.
Wakatuki

Postby leighthebee » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:40 pm

clydesmcdale wrote:White’s Hill, Mt Gravatt and Toohey Forest are all off limits to MTBing with the exception of the paved/bitumen paths. However I do understand the council’s/eco pioneer’s point of view about maintaining these areas as they are. An influx of rider’s to these inner-city forest could potentially cause some damage, due to the expected numbers they would get. Rangers have been known to hand out $500 fines for riding on any of the walking tracks. Best to stay away.

So disappointing. I must see at least three people up there each afternoon. I just don't understand keeping something "pristine" to the point of not being able to use it.
leighthebee

Postby albertgaleano » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:12 pm

Same here, I used to go up Toohey's at least 3 days a week after school in the 90"s as I lived in Annerley back then, loved all the tracks up there.
albertgaleano

Postby albertgaleano » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:22 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:There's been plenty of track work done and Bunya and Gap Creek over the last 6 or so years and they are certainly not as rough and ready as they use to be.

Went up to Ironbark/Bunya today and I see what you mean now with all the track work, not so raw anymore. I caught the train and rode from Ferny Grove to ironbark, done a few loops and ended up at Bunya. Didn't hang around much as I rode Mt Gravatt on the roadie earlier in the day. Next time I will make a day of it and ride the trails at Bunya more. Thanks for the info guys :D
albertgaleano

Postby Dragster1 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:32 pm

Gap creek reserve behind Mt Cootha, Quite a few tracks there and it also goes over the road.
Dragster1

Return to MTB