Best upgrade for my bike

Mountainbiking central

Best upgrade for my bike

Postby swaz » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:48 am

More out of general interest than having $500 to spend on upgrading something. However, I have a new Trek Superfly 5 and it is little on the heavy side. No real complaints about what is on it at the moment apart from the chain/cranks making a rubbing noise when in the middle chain ring. No rubbing on the FD.
http://www.trekbikes.com/au/en/bikes/mo ... perfly_5/#
swaz

by BNA » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:40 am

BNA

Re: Best upgrade for my bike

Postby bighead89 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:40 am

Saddles whether it be a more comfortable one or even adding a dropper post. Dropper seat may add slightly more weight, but worth it.
Lighter or clip in peddles or new mtb shoes usually make a new experience for mtb riders.
Wheels, tyres, inner tubes, can all be changed.
Axles and suspension fork lowers can be upgraded for a hefty price ;)
bighead89

Postby alf » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:45 am

Have you considered an upgrade to the engine?

http://www.mtbskills.com.au/
alf

Postby trailgumby » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:56 am

Tyres are the most eff3ctive upgrade. Most that come on the bike from the manufacturer aren't great as you should be choosing to suit local conditions. For Ourimbah and most of the east coast of NSW I'd go something more aggressive like an Ignitor or Nobby Nic on the front for better steering and control. You can stick with a low rolling resistance tyre on the back. It's a common setup.

Going tubeless whether by conversion kit or wheelset upgrade would be close second.

Wheelset upgrade would be third.

We've "spoken" about skills classes in another thread :)
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby swaz » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:59 pm

trailgumby wrote:Tyres are the most eff3ctive upgrade. Most that come on the bike from the manufacturer aren't great as you should be choosing to suit local conditions. For Ourimbah and most of the east coast of NSW I'd go something more aggressive like an Ignitor or Nobby Nic on the front for better steering and control. You can stick with a low rolling resistance tyre on the back. It's a common setup.

Going tubeless whether by conversion kit or wheelset upgrade would be close second.

Wheelset upgrade would be third.

We've "spoken" about skills classes in another thread :)

So you think some new rubber, maybe tubeless ready ones would be the best upgrade? A friend has offered me some Stan's Ztr Arch on Stan's 3.3 hubs with used Maxxis Ikon tyres for $400, plus I would need some discs to go on them.
swaz

Postby trailgumby » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:03 pm

Sounds good. The Ikon's look good for rear tyres. Something like an Ardent in 2.25 width or more, or an Ignitor, on the front.

I really wish they'd make the Ignitor in a 2.25 for 29ers and the Larsen TT in a 29er. Arches are a good strong wheel at a very reasonable weight.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby swaz » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:40 pm

trailgumby wrote:Sounds good. The Ikon's look good for rear tyres. Something like an Ardent in 2.25 width or more, or an Ignitor, on the front.

I really wish they'd make the Ignitor in a 2.25 for 29ers and the Larsen TT in a 29er. Arches are a good strong wheel at a very reasonable weight.

Reckon they would be much lighter than my current wheels?
swaz

Postby Duck! » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:52 pm

swaz wrote:
trailgumby wrote:Sounds good. The Ikon's look good for rear tyres. Something like an Ardent in 2.25 width or more, or an Ignitor, on the front.

Reckon they would be much lighter than my current wheels?

You can bet your boots they will be. Stock wheels on any bike in that sector of the market are quite hefty. Upgrading the fork to a Reba or similar will take a big chunk of weight out; taking the weight out of the front end makes it a lot easier to heft the bike up & over trail features.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.
Duck!
Expert

Postby swaz » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:04 pm

Hmm decisions decisions. I'd be happy to upgrade the wheels I think, the forks would save me some weight but I worry about buying a used fork when I have a brand new set with warranty etc on the bike already.

I am tempted to sell off the running gear on my road bike to fund some upgrades though :)
swaz

Postby sobmal » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:09 am

+1 for tyres and wheels.

If you do races, then you can have a nice set for race day and the old clunkers for general riding?
sobmal

Postby swaz » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:13 pm

Scored the wheels for $350 which I think is a good deal. Gotta sell some roadie stuff to pay for them though.
swaz

Postby ProCelebrityGolf » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:16 am

Good job on the wheels. I have some Stan's Crest which I've been extremely happy with - they are significantly lighter than my stock wheelset and a very noticeable upgrade in terms of the bike 'feels' lighter and faster. It's a completely subjective assessment, but at the end of the day I'm happy!
ProCelebrityGolf

Postby swaz » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:14 am

Sadly, I have had to pass on the wheels in favour of paying a house hold bill :(

I haven't ignored the suggestion of getting better skills though, and have enlisted someone to show me the ropes so to speak!
swaz

Return to MTB