SRAM X7 Rear Mech cage low spring tension

Mountainbiking central

SRAM X7 Rear Mech cage low spring tension

Postby CoffsGal » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:54 pm

Hi you MTBers...

I have noticed that the rear mech (SRAM x7 - 9 speed) on my 2007 Giant MTB has very low tension in the cage spring, causing the chain to be quite droopy. I have removed the rear mech and I can feel the spring get tighter as I rotate the cage, and then it 'lets go' and become loose once again. I am unable to see any means to disassemble the cage from the RD housing. Anyway, I expect it is at the end of its usefulness and I will likely need to purchase a replacement. A bit disappointing as the bike wouldn't have done more than 2000km.

Do you have any suggestions as to a suitable 9 speed rear mech replacement in todays market (any brand), that will continue to work with the existing SRAM X7 shifters.

Emma
CoffsGal

by BNA » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:59 pm

BNA

Re: SRAM X7 Rear Mech cage low spring tension

Postby trailgumby » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:59 pm

You'll need to stick with SRAM rear derailleurs as they have a unique cable pull ratio.

X9 or X0 are good :)

Oh, and welcome back! Where you been?
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby Duck! » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:07 pm

SRAM derailleurs are pretty good for serviceability and spare parts, especially for X7 & above levels. If the problem is with the cage or the spring then it should be fixable, but if the anchor point for the spring inside the main body is munted then it's curtains for that derailleur.

However, pivot reassembly is a cow of a job because you're fighting against both the pivot spring and the main body spring, and should only be attempted if you're mechanically competent.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.
Duck!
Expert

Postby CoffsGal » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:02 pm

Thanks for the information and advice guys.

I have ordered an X9 rear mech.

trailgumby wrote:You'll need to stick with SRAM rear derailleurs as they have a unique cable pull ratio.

X9 or X0 are good :)

Oh, and welcome back! Where you been?

Hi TG, still riding the road on weekends and the home made rollers most week days.
Have just built myself a nice SWorks Roubaix (Ultegra 11 speed) to keep me passionate (about cycling) (is 3 road bikes too many?).

I still visit to BNA regularly to see how the 'old' crowd are doing.
CoffsGal

Return to MTB