Mont cancellation/reschedule

Mountainbiking central

Re: BNA Mont 24 team

Postby Duck! » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:18 pm

m@ wrote:Duncan Giblin (Hellfire Cup organiser, and a mate of a mate) posted on the FB thread. Worth reading his whole post, but to reschedule the Hellfire Cup he borrowed $60k against his mortgage and ran a very real risk of losing his business. Yes, event organisers choose to take these risks but 99% of the time the riders are the ones who benefit - so I think some of the comments on the FB thread and RotorBurn are way off the mark. Frankly, some people seem to be a bit delusional about the profit margins, costs and personal commitment involved in putting together a major event like the Mont, which I guess isn't entirely their fault... but when I read some comments suggesting that they made a bigger profit from the cancellation I can't help shaking my head in wonder a bit.

The thing that the loudest critics seem to have forgotten (or chosen to ignore) is that a lot of money would have already been spent on the event facilities, so there wouldn't be a particularly great deal of money left for SPE to "run away with".

Not that I was entered, but good to hear of a new date & I look forward to jumping on Rotorburn tonight & seeing if it's shut the muppets up. :-)
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.
Duck!
Expert

by BNA » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:47 pm

BNA

Postby Ross » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:47 pm

Duck! wrote:The thing that the loudest critics seem to have forgotten (or chosen to ignore) is that a lot of money would have already been spent on the event facilities, so there wouldn't be a particularly great deal of money left for SPE to "run away with".

Not that I was entered, but good to hear of a new date & I look forward to jumping on Rotorburn tonight & seeing if it's shut the muppets up. :-)

Competent event organisers have insurance for things like rain so money shouldn't be an issue. It's a poor policy to have zero refund to participants in the event of cancellation. A lot of participants travel from interste to this so they are not only out of pocket for entry fee but petrol and accommodation as well.
Ross

Postby The_Eggman » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:14 pm

Rain insurance is brutally expensive and doesn't trigger just because you have rain in the leadup. Just sayin'
The_Eggman

Postby Ross » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:26 pm

Yes, I've heard they didn't have rain insurance for that reason. Still seems an odd way to run an event, not having the relevant insurance.

Interesting too that they are now giving refunds...

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... 36nx8.html
Ross

Postby trailgumby » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:07 pm

Pretty poor attitude from the complainers. It's in the T&C, so it's a known risk that has crystallised.

Looks like one of three outcomes will result going forwards.
1: Race fees will go up so insurance can be obtained. Other event organisers will no doubt take note of this and similarly act to cover this risk.

2: Events will continue to be run regardless of weather conditions. This cannot be a good outcome for the trails.

3: The cynical option: the event will start, but be called after a lap or three.

SPE will take a severe financial hit from having to re-run the event, as they will not be able to lay off much if any of the risk or cost to their suppliers, except perhaps the small number of paid volunteers who did not get paid for the cancelled event.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:28 pm

I am assuming that many of the event sponsors would have been supportive - even though it is a disappointment that the event was cancelled they will likely be important players in enabling the rescheduled event to take place.
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby trailgumby » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:45 pm

You'd hope so, but how much it would close up the shortfall is I guess a question to which we won't ever find out the answer.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby alchemist » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:44 am

trailgumby wrote:1: Race fees will go up so insurance can be obtained.

It's not as expensive as people think.
alchemist

Postby m@ » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:31 pm

alchemist wrote:

Source? To be clear; we're talking insurance that will refund the full ticket price to all participants in the event that it rains? Insurers are pretty good at maths...
harmonix1234 wrote:Forecast for Hobart next week is rain, sleet, ice and all kinds of hell.
HTFU harmonix.
m@
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby alchemist » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:34 am

Yes, full refund.

Indeed they are, how many events run every year & how many are completely cancelled?
alchemist

Postby The_Eggman » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:43 pm

alchemist wrote:

Well my experience with Rain Insurance is the following

I'm on the school P&C and we were looking to get insurance to cover a rain off for our open air movie night.

The movie night took about 5k gross and 2k nett, so that's what we were looking to cover.

The rain insurance quotes we got were $1400-1600 and it only triggered if 2mm or more rain as measured by the BOM fell on the day itself. Rain on the lead up days (which could equally trigger cancellation) didn't trigger a payout.

I'd define that as prohibitive
The_Eggman

Previous

Return to MTB