BNA Mont 24 team

m@

Re: BNA Mont 24 team

Postby m@ » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:40 am

Yeah, reckon the showers are going to get a flogging! :lol:

I'm running a well-used Racing Ralph on the rear... Half tempted to swap the front Nobby Nick to the back and throw a Hans Dampf on the front... but no tiiiiime! :shock:
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

leximack

Postby leximack » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:09 pm

im going with the lazy man option and going for the "run what ya brung" option.
ie what is on the bike now is what im using :lol: :lol: :lol:

m@

Postby m@ » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:37 pm

To keep this thread vaguely on-topic I've split posts about the cancellation/reschedule here.

So, a little over a month out now - how's everyone's preparation going? I've been getting a couple of decent rides a week - shop CX/XC ride along the Yarra singletrack each Tuesday, and a road or trail grind on Saturdays. Commuting on the singlespeed a few times a week. Have the Kowalski Classic this Sunday will be a decent test of my fitness, and good way to get reacquainted with the Kowen trails :D

zero

Postby zero » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:57 pm

m@ wrote:To keep this thread vaguely on-topic I've split posts about the cancellation/reschedule here.

So, a little over a month out now - how's everyone's preparation going? I've been getting a couple of decent rides a week - shop CX/XC ride along the Yarra singletrack each Tuesday, and a road or trail grind on Saturdays. Commuting on the singlespeed a few times a week. Have the Kowalski Classic this Sunday will be a decent test of my fitness, and good way to get reacquainted with the Kowen trails :D
Good for me - 4kgs lost, reasonably quick at the 3 ring circus. Due to the course changes elites took 13 minutes more this year than when I first tried it in 2010, and I took 15 minutes more and finished higher up the standings. ie in relative terms I've actually closed that yawning gap a little.

I also think I was waaaay too conservatively pacing myself as I passed a lot of (too many) riders in the last 10kms, and I was so much quicker at the end that only one of them managed to even grab my wheel and I towed him for 5km and that didn't save him enough energy to even get alongside me at the line - so he was obviously redlined holding my wheel. Also no cramps, enjoyed the single track parts a lot and climbing was more comfortable than past years. Having to ride to, and then jump, over and over again at volleyball training seems to be the root cause of weight loss/strength gain though I'm also riding a tall geared bike around too. Cycling on the other hand, does absolutely nothing for jumping!

I'll get a lot of riding done in the next month since volleyball is mostly done, including some dirt, so I should have a lot of fun at the Mont, and the Mont should see me fully prepared for the Highland fling the weekend after. Quite enthusiastic about those 2 weekends!

m@

Postby m@ » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:44 pm

26 days to go! :mrgreen:

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:00 pm

Remind me to order new brake pads!
Cycling is in my BNA

m@

Postby m@ » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:46 pm

Specialized test days are coming up in the next couple of weeks... ;)

skull

Postby skull » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:31 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Remind me to order new brake pads!

order new brake pads.

zero

Postby zero » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:58 pm

Did 85kms today - magnificent day in the southern highlands. Was like oh no, look at this perfect cycling weather, shame I gotta train today, a reeaaaaal shame ;)

m@

Postby m@ » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:44 pm

Unfortunately one rider has had to pull out, so we're looking for a replacement for the rescheduled MONT - 25th/26th October; 24 hours of riding in some of the flowiest, funnest singletrack you'll find. Let me know here or via PM if you're keen 8)
zero wrote:Did 85kms today - magnificent day in the southern highlands. Was like oh no, look at this perfect cycling weather, shame I gotta train today, a reeaaaaal shame ;)
Nice one - the weather has definitely taken a turn for the better. I have a few Km in, having committed to 2000Km in October for the Great Cycle Challenge... which is looking achievable - just - provided my knees don't blow out ;)

leximack

Postby leximack » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:34 pm

not long now, getting excited. :D :D
Have been putting in some k's to get some sort of fitness going and feeling good on the bike at the moment.
Just have to keep it up for a couple more weeks.

Don

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:38 pm

Have you ordered the brake pads? :mrgreen:

m@

Postby m@ » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:06 am

It's generally more economical in the longer term to buy them attached to a new bike #justsayin' :D ;)

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:09 pm

Don't forget to order new brake pads. :)
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

StanlyTheManly

Postby StanlyTheManly » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:38 pm

Mapomatic wrote:The site next to us ran a genny all night - it was pretty annoying after a while. Trailgumby don't risk it. A friend of a friend busted his shoulder riding back to the campsite after a recon lap night before the race 2 years ago . He had to sit on the sidelines for a few weeks. How his team managed a second place in the single speeders is beyond me.
I think I raced against him in the roller race.....lost big time

StanlyTheManly

Postby StanlyTheManly » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:58 pm

Hi everyone

My normal user name would be StanTheMan but since its in Use my name is what it is. :)

Ive joined the BNA Mont Team. :D Need to sort out financials with the gentleman dropping out.

anyhow Ive done a few 24 hr team races got lucky enough to get podium twice but in the Old mans catergory. Hopefully I can keep up with some of you youngens.
I'm also very happy to share my experiences with 24 hr team racing. organising, what to bring & so on.

Don't be shocked but I do ride a 26" Anthem. We'll call it evens since youre all Mexicans.....Just kidding :mrgreen:
I look forwar to this....& don't be shy.

Most important part is to make sure we all have a great time.

m@

Postby m@ » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:58 am

G'day @StanlyTheManly, welcome to BNA & team Cycling is in our BNA :mrgreen: Great to have some experience on-board, and I'll bet you set the fastest laps out of all of us ;)

I think I'm actually the sole Victorian representative - Christopher (AUBicycles) is definitely in Sydney, and I think Zero is NSW somewhere? So on Friday while you're all spinning on the trainers with a protein shake in hand, my legs will be seizing up on the eight-hour drive from Melbs :shock:

26ers still got it - though one spin on my Anthem 29er on the flowy Kowen trails just might have you converted. I set PRs on the twisty North South track on a rented 26" Santa Cruz Heckler without trying though.

Fun is guaranteed... pain also highly likely ;)

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:56 pm

Out on a Manly Dam ride with StanlyTheManly last night - he led the way thank goodness and made me stop before a launching massive jump which would have certainly caught me out.

And thank goodness I am informed that the Mont24 is less rocky than Manly Dam which is a real bone shaker on my bike. Yes - I will accept a generous donation of a modern era full suspension 26", 27.5" or 29" MTB but just in case, my 'MTB of pain' is the backup plan, just waiting on the replacement disc brakepads which are on the way.
Cycling is in my BNA

StanlyTheManly

Postby StanlyTheManly » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:26 am

Yea that jump can be bad if you are not prepared for it. Its the one down near the Pipeline. I think its called the pipeline feeder track?

although I'm sure a lot of peeps would say that jump is no big deal...but Ive never had the balls to attempt it.

Mount Cowan is more like the possum. forrest except perhaps no where near as dense. the track would be a little more open in most plACES EXCEPT YOU WOULD GET SOME BITS WHICH ARE AS TIGHT AS THE POSSUM. You would benefit from some decent forks once the track gets all rutted out. If someone is happy to loan you a bike....grab it with both hands.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:27 am

AUbicycles wrote:Out on a Manly Dam ride with StanlyTheManly last night - he led the way thank goodness and made me stop before a launching massive jump which would have certainly caught me out.

And thank goodness I am informed that the Mont24 is less rocky than Manly Dam which is a real bone shaker on my bike. Yes - I will accept a generous donation of a modern era full suspension 26", 27.5" or 29" MTB but just in case, my 'MTB of pain' is the backup plan, just waiting on the replacement disc brakepads which are on the way.
Merlin Cycles has an extra special deal on a Fox Float 100 CTD 26" fork with a straight steerer at the moment. How does $385 sound?
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:29 pm

Thanks for the tip. I considered more significant upgrades such as forks and wheels but decided to focus on a a complete and modern bike better suited to Aussie conditions. The good news is that Manly is a bit more technical than Mont24 and I have Trailgumby's approval for my MTB skills :)
Cycling is in my BNA

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:35 pm

AUbicycles wrote:...and I have Trailgumby's approval for my MTB skills :)
Always an important attribute!!
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

StanlyTheManly

Postby StanlyTheManly » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:48 am

6 sleeps to go. LOL

I'm looking forward to it.

Although for my first lap I'll be as nervous as buggery. Until 5 minutes into it.
Middle of the night waiting at transitions freezing my nipples off, thinking "what on earth am i doing this for ....again!!!"
5 minutes later when warmed up riding with lights....thinking, " how good is this!!!".
When Finished with the last lap thinking. "I'm never ever doing this again.Ever!"
Taking down the tent in total exhaustion.

1 day later when endorphins hit, ringing up mates trying to organise as team for the next one.

OMGosh.....the highs & lows. LMAO

leximack

Postby leximack » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:55 pm

so 17k loop with 250m climbing.
what do you think a respectable laptime will be?

StanlyTheManly

Postby StanlyTheManly » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:26 am

Only comparison I have is in 2012 it was 15.7 km. 275m climbing. A good time then was under an hr. My best time was 1.01 hrs.

This time is close to 2 km longer. with just a little more climbing. I should be considerably faster than in 2012.But my technical skills are not as good as then so my guess for me it will be somewhere around 1:10h flat to 1:15h and about 5 min longer for night laps.
but we will see.
The real guns will perhaps do it under 60 min