Yeah, reckon the showers are going to get a flogging!
I'm running a well-used Racing Ralph on the rear... Half tempted to swap the front Nobby Nick to the back and throw a Hans Dampf on the front... but no tiiiiime!
I was halfway to Canberra when I got the news that the Mont24 is cancelled, campsite too wet after big rains. Back in Sydney, and will get the kids on the MTBs.
Your fading son, take another energy gel.
Well, that didn't quite work out as planned!
I was only a couple of hours from Canberra when the news came through, so here for the weekend anyhow... might get a ride in at Stromlo or Bruce on Sunday, if the rain lets up tomorrow. Hopefully they will reschedule & we can all make the new date!
We got there, setup about 1/3 of the campsite by which time we were soaked and freezing when someone came around to advise of the cancellation. The only silver lining was having a great feed at Sammy's Kitchen in the ACT before heading back to Sydney! Such is life
On the upside, no bikes or trails were trashed ... and I didn't miss out
If you guys are up for the Kowalski I might target that.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen
I got as far as queenbeyan station, but from the train the amount of standing water I could see was huge. Ground was fully soaked, would take days for the trails to dry, and they would have been damaged by racing on them.
I bought one of those topeak beam racks to go above my rear suspension for the ride to/from venue (had too much stuff for backpack), and whilst undoing the beam for boxing the bike for country link the QR came undone (by design apparently, it was very fussy about removing itself from an MTB seatpost), and then I didn't realize the bit it screws into wasn't retained any longer and lost that during the trip down, so I would have been stuck with a load I couldn't carry.
This is a brief update for rotorburners ahead of an official update (which we will make this Wednesday)
We are out of the forest (as of about 3pm today) and have just now had a meeting to discuss where to from here. Like you, we are gutted that the rain ruined the Mont right on the cusp of the event. We were completely setup and everything was ready for the riders. So close...
We know many would like to ride the Mont on a new date and despite our having announced the event as 'cancelled', we are actively exploring whether it would actually be possible to reschedule. In saying this, I must stress that the Mont is a complex event to run and requires clearance from numerous stakeholders and suppliers to even be realised. Rescheduling the event is by no means a certainty, but will be thoroughly examined.
Rescheduling the Mont for a date in the near future depends on;
1. Whether we can find an available date to make a booking of the forest (i.e. a weekend the forest not booked for another user)<
2. Whether planned logging operations can be halted to run the race (thinning of East Kowen is slated to start this Thursday)
3. Availability of essential infrastructure namely; generators, light towers, marquees, toilets etc (i.e. large toilet and shower blocks are items we typically book 12 months in advance to ensure supply)
4. The availability of critical services and personnel (timing company, first aid, ambulance, race director, course director, volunteers etc)
5. On-course structures (i.e. re-build of a large temporary structure required for the event)
6. Availability for hire of 24hr specific items such as charge boards etc.
7. Availability of quality food service providers/coffee providers
8. weather forecasts and our knowledge that temperatures are trending much cooler through April/May, and
9. giving riders sufficient notice of a new date so they can make plans to attend
(note: this is by no means an exhaustive list...)
We are already in touch with the relevant government bodies and other critical suppliers on this front, and will work through this tomorrow. We will be able to establish whether the Mont can proceed on a new date (or not) by early Wednesday morning. Once known, I will then send out an email newsletter to all participants. Watch your inbox by all means, but expect it later in the day as I am pretty slow on technology.
Whichever way we have to go, please know we are working toward having you smiling hard on the trails we build real soon. <br />
(aka Des Kowalski)
Thanks for sharing and can appreciate how hard the decision was considering the workload and likewise appreciate the guts to make this decision and putting the wellbeing of the riders and spectators first.
Thanks for reposting - good to hear it's at least a possibility. Gutted for Al and the team, hopefully the stars will all align... if so I'll be riding from the airport with Zero as I've used up all my leave tickets for the foreseeable future
@trailgumby, I reckon I'll be doing the kowalski classic again this year - have to make amends for last year's poor effort
Now thinking about entering the Wombat 100 this weekend so my training doesn't go to waste... but the weather forecast doesn't look much better than for the Mont. Lightning never strikes twice in two completely different places a week apart, right
The kowalski was fantastic, will definitely make the trip down. Gotta say tone here is much more elevated than on rotorburn where some are baying for blood. It's a shame the weather didn't want to play nice, but what you gonna do? I do wonder if the organisers would have been in the same financial position of they had made the call a week ago.
Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk
Well, it's official - no reschedule
Inevitable outcome I guess; must've been another tough call but the logistics of organising an event like the Mont with 12 months is more than most could consider; putting it together in a few weeks would've been impossible. A 50% discount on the Kowalski Classic locks that in at least
People are really blowing up over at rotorburn and fb now... ugly
That's because they are all too self centred to realise that (by paying) they signed up to the promoter's terms and conditions. Can't expect sympathy for not reading (or accepting) the fine print.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle
ain't it the truth... you can read people the rules til the cows come home, but at the first sight something isn't going their way they jump up and down screaming for the authorities.
i'd hate to be in SPE's shoes right now, whether they have done the right thing or not.
Designs by Mitch - drafting specialist.
I feel that the crux of this maelstrom is whether there is anything left from race entry fee's over after all costs. This hasn't been addressed which means that it is an open question. People are asking, "considering that the event was not able to proceed, were the costs lower?"
This event has multiple sources of financing (not just race entry fees) and different stakeholders which makes the equation a little more complex.
from reading their update, it does appear as though the event was ready to go up until the last minute, which means everything is supplied, set up, workers on site etc. That is substantially different to a cancellation a few weeks out where suppliers can still avoid a huge outlay.
For example, on site catering....what happened to all the food that was already at the site when it got called off? it still has to be paid for even if not consumed.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
Agree - I felt sorry for the caterers and hope that it has gone to deserving people such as in seniors homes or people in hardship.
That is why a more simplified and blunt statement will provide an answer that will reduce the speculation and accusations we are seeing on the other platforms e.g. "100% of race entry fees were used for upfront costs so has been paid and unfortunately can't be recovered".
Yeah; I feel they will be forced to make a further statement (and might up their offer, though I don't believe for a second they're profiteering off the cancellation). People on RB are now talking about getting Fair Trading involved, which I think would be a disaster; there will be no Mont next year if SPE declares bankruptcy!
Hopefully next year's event doesn't come with a $500 entry fee to cover insurance (assuming they could find an insurer willing to go within a mile of such a big risk). Best outcome would be better contingency planning for future events, but at this point if I were SPE I'd probably be questioning whether it's all worth the effort...
I've chosen not to wade into the shtstorm at rburn, as the level of discourse is in the gutter. But I can't imagine that SPE would be feeling the love at all right now, and if I were them I would definitely be questioning whether it was worth it.
Hopefully they make they make it out the other side and continue to organise quality events. Might be worthwhile offering refunds on camping only, to those who want it, as that is technically the only service they didn't offer. If you were mental, you still could have ridden the tracks for 24 hours and 'won' the 2014 mont, whilst destroying volunteer created trails.
Whilst the situation isn't ideal, it's a case of cutting off your nose to spite your face. No SPE means no kowalski brothers mean less people keen to build trails. After all, who wants to build trail for egocentric narcissists?
I haven't built any trails personally, which is another reason I'm happy to support crews like SPE and Corc financially . If they do offer refunds on camping, they can keep my money. I'll ride the Kowalski classic, the mont next year and I'll even buy a "I paid for the mont and all I got was this lousy tshirt" if they print one
Well they would have been as a lot of those volunteers working at the mont actually get paid and they haven't been this year.
Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
You do realise that those t and c no refund can easily by challenged in this situation and deemed to have standing.
If you check out spe's Facebook page. Some people gave already contacted fair trading to confirm this.
Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
The organisers have commented that they will make another statement / response.
Duncan Giblin (Hellfire Cup organiser, and a mate of a mate) posted on the FB thread. Worth reading his whole post, but to reschedule the Hellfire Cup he borrowed $60k against his mortgage and ran a very real risk of losing his business. Yes, event organisers choose to take these risks but 99% of the time the riders are the ones who benefit - so I think some of the comments on the FB thread and RotorBurn are way off the mark. Frankly, some people seem to be a bit delusional about the profit margins, costs and personal commitment involved in putting together a major event like the Mont, which I guess isn't entirely their fault... but when I read some comments suggesting that they made a bigger profit from the cancellation I can't help shaking my head in wonder a bit.
I guess my take is that although the law might strictly require the organisers to offer a full refund, the cost of insuring against this would be prohibitive so we have a choice: accept the T&C even though they're not strictly legal (which ethically, if not legally, all team organisers have done by accepting the T&C IMO); decide that it's a bad risk and not participate; or accept that these kind of events aren't financially viable due to the risk of promoters going broke when the weather forces a cancellation. Big music festivals are already dying off for similar reasons.
That said, I'm looking forward to SPE's update. Personally I really hope they reschedule, even as a 6- or 12-hour enduro - and would be more than happy to race in the middle of winter; if anything it should give us CBR locals the home-ground advantage
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users