New to mountain biking

Mountainbiking central

New to mountain biking

Postby 15wilsonwu » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:31 pm

Hey guys, I've been road cycling for almost 2 years now and I think it's time for me to join the dark side.
There's one hiccup though, I'm not too familiar with mtbs.
I've recently been offered a Avanti Vapour 26.1 for 1k, is it worth it?

Thanks in advanced
I love riding, not training
User avatar
15wilsonwu
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 9:31 pm

by BNA » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:45 pm

BNA
 

Re: New to mountain biking

Postby JulMass » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:45 pm

Depends on how long you want it to last. There is a view that if you only have $1k to spend then get a hardtail. Rear suspension is ... well...complicated. Are you limited to that budget?
Another issue is the growing popularity of 29ers and 650b wheel sizes.
Why not go to one of the well known brands and give a test bike a go? At least you will find out for yourself about the different wheel sizes and quality of build.
Hope this helps.
JulMass
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:15 am

Re: New to mountain biking

Postby 15wilsonwu » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:09 pm

JulMass wrote:Depends on how long you want it to last. There is a view that if you only have $1k to spend then get a hardtail. Rear suspension is ... well...complicated. Are you limited to that budget?
Another issue is the growing popularity of 29ers and 650b wheel sizes.
Why not go to one of the well known brands and give a test bike a go? At least you will find out for yourself about the different wheel sizes and quality of build.
Hope this helps.


Thanks for the advice mate.
One of the reasons of choosing the Avanti Vapour is because according to my research, its original RRP is 4k; so even if I don't like it, I can resell it and still get profit.
I'm test riding the bike tomorrow as well as other bikes, so I guess I can find out which wheel size suits me.
I love riding, not training
User avatar
15wilsonwu
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 9:31 pm

Re: New to mountain biking

Postby bychosis » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:37 pm

I wouldn't expect resale profit on a 26in bike, unless you got it given to you. If lucky you might break even. If it has been offered to you see if you can borrow it for a good few hours to try it out if it fits nice, and hasn't been ridden too hard (requiring parts replacement) it could be decent value.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
User avatar
bychosis
 
Posts: 2324
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:10 pm
Location: Lake Macquarie

Re: New to mountain biking

Postby 15wilsonwu » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:01 pm

bychosis wrote:I wouldn't expect resale profit on a 26in bike, unless you got it given to you. If lucky you might break even. If it has been offered to you see if you can borrow it for a good few hours to try it out if it fits nice, and hasn't been ridden too hard (requiring parts replacement) it could be decent value.


Is it not possible to fit some 650b or 29" wheels on?
Sorry if these questions are really noob, I have close to no knowledge regarding mtb.
I love riding, not training
User avatar
15wilsonwu
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 9:31 pm

Re: New to mountain biking

Postby JulMass » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:11 pm

Some frames will fit bigger wheels but remember its a 26 fork so you may need to replace that as a start if you want to go down that path.
JulMass
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:15 am

Re: New to mountain biking

Postby bychosis » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:22 pm

I wouldn't change the wheel size, mucks up geometry and mud clearances etc. Better to look at one that has been designed from the ground up for the wheels it is wearing. There is nothing 'wrong' with 26in, it has gone out of favour with the marketers. I have a 26, I've tried a 29 for a short ride and found it less enjoyable in the tight single track scenario than my 26er out in the open apparently 29 is the go. If I was buying a new bike now I suspect it wouldn't be 26", but possibly just because they are harder to find.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
User avatar
bychosis
 
Posts: 2324
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:10 pm
Location: Lake Macquarie

Re: New to mountain biking

Postby Mugglechops » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:14 pm

You are coming over from the darkside. Not joining it :-)
User avatar
Mugglechops
 
Posts: 2365
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:51 pm
Location: Shoalhaven

Re: New to mountain biking

Postby trailgumby » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:23 pm

Some frames and forks will accept 650b so long as the tyres aren't too big. Depends on frame clearances and where seat stay and chainstay braces are positioned.

Converting a 26er to 650b does lift the whole bike by half an inch or so. I was talking with a riding buddy this morning who did it to his Voodoo and it worked really well, but he is now on the hunt for something more burley in the 650b wheel size. half an inch does make the bike feel taller, but you get better bottom bracket clearance over obstacles, so it isn't all bad.

If you have only a thousand to spend, what you've outlined is not a bad deal, but as noted resale on 26ers is very low. You might be a few hundred out of pocket if you choose to flick it. I think it's a low risk proposition, though - the chances are significanlty better than 50/50 that you'll get hooked.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
User avatar
trailgumby
 
Posts: 10336
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:30 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Sydney

Re: New to mountain biking

Postby skull » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:30 pm

For example a Cannondale scalpel. 650b wheels is on my upgrade list. Not sure if I should do wheel upgrade or go 1 by 10 upgrade first.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
User avatar
skull
 
Posts: 1682
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:48 pm

Re: New to mountain biking

Postby trailgumby » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:41 pm

Cannondale Rush as well. Saw a nice one converted to 650B by City Bike Depot at Manly Dam last month.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
User avatar
trailgumby
 
Posts: 10336
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:30 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Sydney

Re: New to mountain biking

Postby 15wilsonwu » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:12 pm

Met up with the guy with the Avanti Vapour today but there was no deal; offered him 900 but he was firm on 950.
When I test rode it, there was creak which seemed like it came from the bb area but the guy said it came from the rear suspension due to the bearings or something... Does anyone here know what that creak seem to be?
Here's the same bike I found online - http://www.aussiemountainbikes.com/showthread.php?t=255

I've been around to some bike shops with Giants and stuff but the bikes were pretty expensive for the level of components the bikes have compared the the Avanti Vapour.

Y'all reckon I should get the Avanti if I chose to just ride it myself?
Last edited by 15wilsonwu on Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I love riding, not training
User avatar
15wilsonwu
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 9:31 pm

Re: New to mountain biking

Postby swaz » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:34 pm

15wilsonwu wrote:Met up with the guy with the Avanti Vapour today but there was no deal; offered him 900 but he was firm on 950.
When I test rode it, there was creak which seemed like it came from the bb area but the guy said it came from the rear suspension due to the bearings or something... Does anyone here know what that creak seem to be?
Here's the same bike I found online - http://www.aussiemountainbikes.com/showthread.php?t=255

I've been around to some bike shops with Giants and stuff but the bikes were pretty expensive for the level of components the bikes have compared the the Avanti Vapour.

Y'all reckon I should get the Avanti if I chose to just ride it myself?

Probably one of the rear suspension links creaking which can be a b_tard to find and fix. $1500 wold get you a great entry level hard tail, but it is $500 off.
swaz
 
Posts: 354
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:41 pm

Re: New to mountain biking

Postby 15wilsonwu » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:39 pm

swaz wrote:
15wilsonwu wrote:Met up with the guy with the Avanti Vapour today but there was no deal; offered him 900 but he was firm on 950.
When I test rode it, there was creak which seemed like it came from the bb area but the guy said it came from the rear suspension due to the bearings or something... Does anyone here know what that creak seem to be?
Here's the same bike I found online - http://www.aussiemountainbikes.com/showthread.php?t=255

I've been around to some bike shops with Giants and stuff but the bikes were pretty expensive for the level of components the bikes have compared the the Avanti Vapour.

Y'all reckon I should get the Avanti if I chose to just ride it myself?

Probably one of the rear suspension links creaking which can be a b_tard to find and fix. $1500 wold get you a great entry level hard tail, but it is $500 off.


Indeed, unluckily for me, I only have 1000 dollars right now; I'm only 14 so money doesn't come by me too easily...
I love riding, not training
User avatar
15wilsonwu
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 9:31 pm

Re: New to mountain biking

Postby trailgumby » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:50 pm

I reckon lurking around eBay would get you something decent with squish at both ends for under $1k in a 26er.

Might be a couple of years old, but still in good nick.

In the meantime, keep saving your pennies.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
User avatar
trailgumby
 
Posts: 10336
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:30 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Sydney

Re: New to mountain biking

Postby swaz » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:53 pm

There are places on Facebook that are set up to sell MTB's and stuff, well worth joining if you have Facebook. At 14 I hope you dont as it is the root of all evil for teens.
swaz
 
Posts: 354
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:41 pm

Re: New to mountain biking

Postby 15wilsonwu » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:59 pm

trailgumby wrote:I reckon lurking around eBay would get you something decent with squish at both ends for under $1k in a 26er.

Might be a couple of years old, but still in good nick.

In the meantime, keep saving your pennies.


Looked around on eBay but it seems like the Avanti is a better deal.
I think I'll go for the Avanti for 950. :P
I love riding, not training
User avatar
15wilsonwu
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 9:31 pm

Re: New to mountain biking

Postby 15wilsonwu » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:00 pm

swaz wrote:There are places on Facebook that are set up to sell MTB's and stuff, well worth joining if you have Facebook. At 14 I hope you dont as it is the root of all evil for teens.


Cheers bud, I'll look on FB for some sweet deals.
I love riding, not training
User avatar
15wilsonwu
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 9:31 pm

Re: New to mountain biking

Postby swaz » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:06 pm

If the Avanti has XT on it I doubt you will find anything for that.

Although, on Facey or rotorburn there is a Trek Fuel 26er for $1k. I'd go it over an Avanti any day
swaz
 
Posts: 354
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:41 pm

Re: New to mountain biking

Postby 15wilsonwu » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:20 pm

swaz wrote:If the Avanti has XT on it I doubt you will find anything for that.

Although, on Facey or rotorburn there is a Trek Fuel 26er for $1k. I'd go it over an Avanti any day


The Avanti has a mix of Sram X9 and XO.
Oh and please can you give me the link for the Trel Fuel? I couldn't seem to find it.
I love riding, not training
User avatar
15wilsonwu
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 9:31 pm

Re: New to mountain biking

Postby swaz » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:44 pm

I can't find it now :( it might have been a Remedy.
swaz
 
Posts: 354
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:41 pm

Re: New to mountain biking

Postby 15wilsonwu » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:54 am

swaz wrote:I can't find it now :( it might have been a Remedy.


Oh ok, that's alright.
I love riding, not training
User avatar
15wilsonwu
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 9:31 pm

Re: New to mountain biking

Postby bychosis » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:27 am

I'm still trying to work out how a 14yo has $1k to spend. Lucky you don't have a tight budget ;) when I was 14 I would have been looking at kmart and wondering how I was going to afford something.

Avanti sounds like a decent deal.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
User avatar
bychosis
 
Posts: 2324
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:10 pm
Location: Lake Macquarie

Re: New to mountain biking

Postby Calvin27 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:41 am

My recommendation for first MTB purchases is to go for new or near new. Definitely not second hand dually. MTBs take much more abuse than roadies and if you're unfamiliar with it, it could cost you a lot.

Just go for a 29er hard tail. $1k should definitely get you something trail worthy. 650b sizing is also an option but imo they are still 'new' pricing. 26 would be my last pick (especially if you are coming from the darkside) - it would have to be a really good deal.
Specialized Secteur Expert
Kona Hei Hei DL
Calvin27
 
Posts: 480
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:45 pm

Re: New to mountain biking

Postby 15wilsonwu » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:24 pm

bychosis wrote:I'm still trying to work out how a 14yo has $1k to spend. Lucky you don't have a tight budget ;) when I was 14 I would have been looking at kmart and wondering how I was going to afford something.

Avanti sounds like a decent deal.



Haha, sold my road bike to get my hands on 1k :lol:
I love riding, not training
User avatar
15wilsonwu
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 9:31 pm

Next

Return to MTB

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit