Recommendations: ladies MTB for beginner

ghostcat

Recommendations: ladies MTB for beginner

Postby ghostcat » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:00 pm

I am a road rider who is interested in doing some cycle touring and also in riding some or all of the Mundabiddi Trail in WA.

I have an old Giant Sedona (this model http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/Bike ... t41ORCwqUk) with rack and panniers that I'll test out for some on-road touring.

I'm looking for recommendations for a ladies mountain bike that will be good enough for single-track multi-day touring. Can anyone help, please?

--
ghostcat

silentbutdeadly

Re: Recommendations: ladies MTB for beginner

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:30 am

There's actually not much wrong with using the Sedona as the basis for a single track tourer if you find it reasonably comfortable. A couple of minor upgrades and it could be quite sweet.

The main problem with recommending a ladies MTB for touring is that you haven't offered a budget. The other problem is finding such a beastie that also happens to have the rear disc brake tucked inside the rear stays where it won't foul on the panniers.
The alternative is something like the step thru version of the Thorn Sherpa Mk3 which is a 26" touring bike so it can be fitted with MTB tyres. This is one example...though at 1,100 UK pounds ex VAT plus delivery it's not a budget option!
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:05 am

Popping some decent v brakes on your Sedona will improve it and probably some new tyres. I recently picked up an old steel MTB for baby seat duties and the brakes are what I will look at replacing, old cantilevers with plastic levers aren't an ideal braking setup. No idea if the Sedona has plastic levers, but it's in the ball park of what mine has spec wise.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

ghostcat

Postby ghostcat » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:17 am

Thanks for the answers!

I haven't offered a budget because I want to know what I need, not just what I can afford... I don't want cheap and nasty but I probably also don't want to spend a fortune in case I find I don't like MTBing.

I have new(ish) v-brakes on the Sedona, and though it's been fitted with slicks for most of its life, I also have some off-road tyres for it. But would it be any good on dirt tracks? I notice that the Sherpa doesn't have front suspension... would that be recommended?

I guess I could hire a MTB for a few days to see how different it feels...

bychosis - what a sad state for anyone to be in!

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:03 am

Suspension forks on relatively groomed single track and double track is probably a waste. Essentially most offer too much travel in their damping control to warrant their use on such small imperfections. Unless you were planning to try and ride tracks like the Bicentennial Trail over east or the Larapinta in the centre then I probably wouldn't bother. The Sherpa does actually have front suspension in a way - it's provided by the compliance in the steel fork which is probably something close to plus or minus 10mm - what it doesn't have is damping.

I'm probably biased given that I often ride my local technical single track on fully rigid bikes (though I usually race them using a dually).

I've remembered another option...again not cheap (not cheap at all)...but relatively local. And this could/would be perfect for you... http://www.murucycles.com/#!bnt-tourer/c1kxd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:45 pm

...snip...relatively groomed single track and double track ...snip...
That describes some of the Munda Biddi trail well. Other parts are quite difficult to ride.

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:47 pm

ghostcat wrote:..snip..

I guess I could hire a MTB for a few days to see how different it feels...

...snip..!
I think the Munda Biddi site has a link to some hire bikes.